VPN not working

OP dead batteries

23rd September 2014, 02:34 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 29

240 posts
I asked this question in a Rom thread because I'm not sure if the VPN is not working bc of the specific ROM or bc my device is rooted...

Has anyone tried using a vpn on this rom? I use witopia, and when connected to my vpn, I'm not able to access Internet at all. Just trying to figure out what's going on.

More info: the folks over at witopia said that some roms may be incompatible for vpn use.

When using WiTopia, I went to their instructions for Android following this method:

IPSEC VPN Setup
Go to Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> VPN -> ADD VPN
Set the following:
Name: (Any Name You Want)
Type: IPSec Xauth PSK (MUST BE THIS)
Server Address: Click Here for Server Names
IPSec Identifier: WiTopia
Pre-Shared Key: witopia
Save
Connecting
Click on the name of the VPN to which you wish to connect.
Enter your VPN Username*** (will usually be W\YourEmailAddress)
(example: W\johnsmith@gmail.com)

I have done this exactly, the VPN shows connected but I can't access the internet at all. Anyone have any ideas on this?
23rd September 2014, 03:06 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 2

18 posts
Here's a few places to look:
  • The "Use Encryption" box should be checked in the VPN connection settings on the android device, when using IPSec
  • Try getting the Android device connecting to the VPN server (by IP address) over the local wireless network first, before you try it over the Internet. Your router may be blocking it.
  • On that point, make sure that the appropriate ports are forward on your router, TCP Port 1723 and GRE Protocol 47 must be opened/enabled and for L2TP ensure UDP port 1701 is not blocked also UDP ports 500 and 4500 if using IKEv2 for the VPN tunnel.

Hope it could help.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread