FORUMS

You People make it Easy! Thanks!!!

3 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By bbourdon, Junior Member on 9th July 2015, 02:13 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I bought my SM-G900V less than two weeks ago, and though I'm relatively technical, I had no prior experience with smart phones. Yet it didn't take long for the annoyances provided by Verizon's "enhancements" to drive me to learn how to make my phone more like I wanted it to be.

Thanks to the hard work from the developers, as well as the generous sharing of tips and hard-won knowledge on workable techniques from many good people, a newbie like myself could get past the substantial technical hurdles - as well as the fear of destroying my new device.

The people of this site (and to a lesser extent, a few others) allowed me to move from being completely ignorant about modern mobile phones (and nearly paralyzed from apprehension over the unknown risks) to having enough insight and confidence where I felt comfortable enough to take the risks - including potentially having to purchase a replacement. After reading and re-reading many things that you all have written, I had more than "a clue," and went for it.

And as I rooted my device, I was well prepared for almost everything that happened each step of the way (the only thing that surprised me was the "Android is upgrading, optimizing app" message for each of the 471 apps on my phone (!?!), after each flash of a kernel - though this was probably explained in a section that I didn't read well enough).

I've purchased paid-copies of the related tools and more, I intend to make a donation on geohot's towelroot site, and I'll try to do the same for this site - when I find out how.

But that doesn't affect most of you, so to you please accept my gratitude, and sincere thanks - Thank You!

PS: I was very surprised to find my battery usage had gotten much worse in the hours following this. Starting around 2:40 am and lasting a bit over one hour, the charge went from 87% to 65% - even though the screen was off and I was asleep! Turns out it was mostly due to one app: "Support & Protection" - appears to be another gift from Verizon...

Links I found very helpful:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2784860
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=355

Summary:
1. Install Towel Root
2. Download G900V_NCG_Stock_Kernel.tar.md5 from this OP
3. Odin flash NCG Stock Kernel
4. Reboot phone
5. Root with Towel Root
6. Reboot to Download Mode
7. Odin flash (Extract Tar from Zip before you flash) NK2 Kernel
8. Install Superuser from Market if you have not already (You can do this during step 1 as well
9. Open Superuser and It should request to update binary - Choose Normal (DO NOT CHOSE TWRP)
10. Done

To prevent Verizon from forced-updating my phone with Lollipop (and losing root!), froze SDM with appquarantine. More info here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2112221

Bruce.
Last edited by bbourdon; 9th July 2015 at 01:15 PM. Reason: added info-links
The Following User Says Thank You to bbourdon For This Useful Post: [ View ]

30th July 2015, 07:43 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
hey Bruce. I'm new to rooting as well, just did my first root a week ago. nerve racking to say the least.

anyways, I'm already 2 roms in, currently running optimal rom on oc4 firmware with the adb debloater at first boot. despite all my optimization, my battery life isn't as good as I'd hoped.

regardless, thank you all for your help!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Last edited by bmilcsx; 31st July 2015 at 12:26 AM.
30th July 2015, 08:13 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 58

More
Thumbs up
All Devs and Contributors said, " We make it easy~ Easy on you! "
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread