Just got an s5 and (edit) Keeping it, Now I have more questions. Yes I've read...

Search This thread
Edit now that the first part is out of the way, Please scroll down to the bottom for another question, Just trying to keep everything orgainized if possible. Hope This doesn't go in q & a.

Hey fellows, I just bought a s5 and can return it within two days for a full refund. Cost me 140 plus tax, used in great condition no scratches at all on the screen, and got a nice case with it. Was going to order an LG G3 since I'd been doing a bunch of research on it, but came around this and figured I'd give it a whirl. I did a little research on xda while in the store before buying it.

Now that I've been home and reading and reading and reading, I've got it rooted using the lollipop root thread which requires you to use odin. No biggie there but the LP safestrap wouldn't install. And after root I can't install apps from the play store anymore. Error 494 or something like that sorry I'm not more specific.

Right now it has the latest and greatest OTA B1B? I can't remember all four off hand. Some thread I've read have suggested that it is possible to install safestrap and then install rom's but I'm unclear if I have to downgrade though odin flash a different kernel or what. I'm kinda afraid to do too much too it without making a backup because I'd need to get it back to stock before I return it if I do.

I guess my questions are, will I be able to install alliance rom? I don't believe so since it's on a different base. Will I be able to do anything to it other than root? It's not a bad device by all means, but If development is dying, and it's locked down so tight I couldn't squeeze a hair in there, I see no reason to keep it. Again, i've been cramming all evening on all threads, and some say it's possible to get safestrap for lp on there with root, to install TW roms. I know I'll never be able to get AOSP stuff on there regardless.

I could probably get by with just root and debloating. But The alliance rom has some nice themeing options that I'd like.

If you guys were me and please be honest, would you keep it and try to get it to work, or just return it for a refund? I had an s3 but never took any OTA's so I could install roms until my eyes turned blue even though development was slowing on it when mine broke down..

Also do you guys have any idea why the play store isn't working anymore? I'm tempted to factory reset now probably losing root in the process, just to try to get my play store working again.

Any and all thoughts will be appreciated. Again I've studied almost all the faq type all in one general help threads and I've never dealt with safe strap before but at this point I can't even install that. The apk installs but clicking install with root access does nothing.

thanks for any input provided.
griz

Last edited:

musiclover7

Aug 15, 2013
Honestly, having played a lot with various ROMS on this phones, I can say that my fav is the current stock MM. Fast, great performance and battery life, and hopefully, we will get root eventually. In the mean time, Iam not really missing it.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Reactions: griz.droidx
Thanks for the input the emmc check said the brick bug wasn't present. I've got to have root so mm is not an option. I need root for things like tibu and to set enforce =0 for selinux to use my old game pad which isn't 100% necessary but nice when I want to use it. This stock rom seems to drink battery life. Do you think I could install alliance or another debloaTed rom?

ldeveraux

Nov 20, 2008
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Nexus Q
Thanks for the input the emmc check said the brick bug wasn't present. I've got to have root so mm is not an option. I need root for things like tibu and to set enforce =0 for selinux to use my old game pad which isn't 100% necessary but nice when I want to use it. This stock rom seems to drink battery life. Do you think I could install alliance or another debloaTed rom?
B1B is not a build, so you should check that. All lollipop builds can be rooted, and in certain situations marshmallow can be downgraded. Especially if you can unlock the bootloader. You should really check the development thread before you just give up on the device.

Please I don't wish to start a war, just a informative Pro and Con.

Nandr0idC0nsumer thanks for the tip on that App, I ran it iniitally but didn't do the entire scan. I'm doing that as I type this. (It finished and read test passed 132s 14.7GB 114.5MB/s Under emmc chip it reads:

Type MAG2GC
Date 05/98
CID a very long string.
FwRev:00x0
Brick Bug NO. Same Chip

I was hoping this would test to see if I could make it a dev edition but I'll read more on that later.

Now, Even though this isn't the device I initially wanted, I found it in mint condition and with it and the case (Bulky but I weed eat, mow, and stuff, a Lunatik Tatik Extreme that I've read good reviews on every though it's bulky but it's red so I don't have to see the gold, and from what I've read protects well and looks Heavy Duty) and transfer of my Selectel service only paid around 160 after tax. I ended up with a gold colored model, with stock lollipop,

The baseband now says BOK3 but had something Newer BPB1 the first night I got it, I read and read and then read some more as I'm new to safestrap but not to Sammy having had an S3, nor to flashing as I've also owned a DX and DX2(bought used mainly for the sdcard at the time for 20 bucks and to use as a wifi remote)

My questions are as follows. One person above musiclover7 said he's perfectly satisfied with MM non-rooted, I assume an OTA maybe?

I rooted using the odin lollipop method, then installed Alliance Rom to start with as it seemed compatible, and I like the customization ability. I prefer AOSP for just this reason and this was why I was leary about getting this device, the locked bootloader. I've read a little about a lot of rom's available, Although Alliance is highly customizable in the looks dept, and I used the extreme Debloat scropt/zip when flashing all those options are a bit much and it can take time to get the look just right especially with the Black glass mod/zip which I remember from Alliance for the S3, on the old S3 I only ran TW occasionally, mailnly running SLIM, then Nameless, then AICP at the very end. because I'm a sucker for the T-mo theme engine. Aesthetics are very important to me.

One question is with the note roms's and S6/7 ported roms why do I need S-pen when I don't have a note? Why do I need the edge stuff built in when the device isn't an edge? What can that do? I know I have a lot more reading to do but I just want to get a general concensus on what people are running and why, if you are only on TW roms? I haven't seen any themes available in the theme section and I can't stand all the white in settings and such on a stock rom. Nor can I stand the Sammy/VZW bloat. I'm looking at Phoenix which is based on a phone rom with edge support? Am I missing something here? And with the note rom's why would I need the S-pen which I may not have to install if it's aroma based or just freeze/delete it after installation. I have xposed installed because I prefer the net stats app to any other net stat's app out there. I know Wanam is available and gravity for stock roms. I also recall using a module that let me use T-Mo themes on rom's, but I believe the roms I used that on was an AOSP based rom that didn't have T-MO or Layers Implemented yet, like slim around the KK/LP era if memory serves me and it may not.

SO What roms are you using and why? Again, I know people hate threads like this I have no intention of starting a war of roms. It'd be better if I did have the unlocked BL edition or could make it so but I've not got that far yet. Please do not hate on other peoples work. We're all in this together, and most work borrows from others work anyway. And what I've loved about Andy from the DX days is that one size doesn't fit all. We had Bur based roms, CM7 (with most all stock features added eventually), and WizardOO's awesome MIUI builds. And WIz's awesome preboot menu that let one choose a governor and overclock and such without the need for an app. That was an awesome tool back in the day. I'll never forget Wizard00's work on that nor the work done by the main CM7 dev, and those two did help one another figure things out like getting HDMI working.

Anyway, sorry for the rants, and so many questions, I know it'll be impossible to answer all, but I'll edit the Title and Tags to hopefully help other users in the future.

Thanks for reading my TLDR post. Those who know me know I tend to go into way too much detail, and sometimes not the details needed.

Thanks again, I look forward to hearing what you guys have to say.

griz

Lightn1ng

Mar 31, 2015
Washington, D.C.
Nandr0idC0nsumer thanks for the tip on that App, I ran it iniitally but didn't do the entire scan. I'm doing that as I type this. (It finished and read test passed 132s 14.7GB 114.5MB/s Under emmc chip it reads:

Type MAG2GC
Date 05/98
CID a very long string.
FwRev:00x0
Brick Bug NO. Same Chip

I was hoping this would test to see if I could make it a dev edition but I'll read more on that later.

Now, Even though this isn't the device I initially wanted, I found it in mint condition and with it and the case (Bulky but I weed eat, mow, and stuff, a Lunatik Tatik Extreme that I've read good reviews on every though it's bulky but it's red so I don't have to see the gold, and from what I've read protects well and looks Heavy Duty) and transfer of my Selectel service only paid around 160 after tax. I ended up with a gold colored model, with stock lollipop,

The baseband now says BOK3 but had something Newer BPB1 the first night I got it, I read and read and then read some more as I'm new to safestrap but not to Sammy having had an S3, nor to flashing as I've also owned a DX and DX2(bought used mainly for the sdcard at the time for 20 bucks and to use as a wifi remote)

My questions are as follows. One person above musiclover7 said he's perfectly satisfied with MM non-rooted, I assume an OTA maybe?

I rooted using the odin lollipop method, then installed Alliance Rom to start with as it seemed compatible, and I like the customization ability. I prefer AOSP for just this reason and this was why I was leary about getting this device, the locked bootloader. I've read a little about a lot of rom's available, Although Alliance is highly customizable in the looks dept, and I used the extreme Debloat scropt/zip when flashing all those options are a bit much and it can take time to get the look just right especially with the Black glass mod/zip which I remember from Alliance for the S3, on the old S3 I only ran TW occasionally, mailnly running SLIM, then Nameless, then AICP at the very end. because I'm a sucker for the T-mo theme engine. Aesthetics are very important to me.

One question is with the note roms's and S6/7 ported roms why do I need S-pen when I don't have a note? Why do I need the edge stuff built in when the device isn't an edge? What can that do? I know I have a lot more reading to do but I just want to get a general concensus on what people are running and why, if you are only on TW roms? I haven't seen any themes available in the theme section and I can't stand all the white in settings and such on a stock rom. Nor can I stand the Sammy/VZW bloat. I'm looking at Phoenix which is based on a phone rom with edge support? Am I missing something here? And with the note rom's why would I need the S-pen which I may not have to install if it's aroma based or just freeze/delete it after installation. I have xposed installed because I prefer the net stats app to any other net stat's app out there. I know Wanam is available and gravity for stock roms. I also recall using a module that let me use T-Mo themes on rom's, but I believe the roms I used that on was an AOSP based rom that didn't have T-MO or Layers Implemented yet, like slim around the KK/LP era if memory serves me and it may not.

SO What roms are you using and why? Again, I know people hate threads like this I have no intention of starting a war of roms. It'd be better if I did have the unlocked BL edition or could make it so but I've not got that far yet. Please do not hate on other peoples work. We're all in this together, and most work borrows from others work anyway. And what I've loved about Andy from the DX days is that one size doesn't fit all. We had Bur based roms, CM7 (with most all stock features added eventually), and WizardOO's awesome MIUI builds. And WIz's awesome preboot menu that let one choose a governor and overclock and such without the need for an app. That was an awesome tool back in the day. I'll never forget Wizard00's work on that nor the work done by the main CM7 dev, and those two did help one another figure things out like getting HDMI working.

Anyway, sorry for the rants, and so many questions, I know it'll be impossible to answer all, but I'll edit the Title and Tags to hopefully help other users in the future.

Thanks for reading my TLDR post. Those who know me know I tend to go into way too much detail, and sometimes not the details needed.

Thanks again, I look forward to hearing what you guys have to say.

griz

Will read the whole thing tomarrow, but what's the first 2 numbers of your CID?

it'd mean I'd hit the jack pot but I figured that'd be mighty sliim.. LOL... But I'm going to give it another whirl. I haven't read everything, but most of the faq's and all-in-one threads. Then the root for lollipop thread along with safestrap, because I was completely new to safestrap, but I could have been wasting my time with safestrap, I certainly hope the hell that I am that would be so awesome, the best news for me since...... I can't remember when the last time I was so lucky.

I can't be this lucky.. Got some reading to do... I should've listened.........

I should have followed through with the posts from you guys but I honestly didn't think I'd be that luck.y... Didn't think I'd have that kind of karma... In the Morning Ladies and Gentlemen and dudes named ben. Thanks guys for hitting me in the mouth...

HOLY bat crap bat man.. Does this mean what I think it does.. I hope so.. I think I've got a new thread to read..

This is for users with 15' Sasmung eMMC's not users with 11 Toshiba eMMC's. You can check this by reading the file
/sys/block/mmcblk0/device/cid
Just the first 2 15xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or 11xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx(my number of x's are random, just read the first 2)
We still are unsure if changing the CID causes app store, verification, activation, provision, or other issues, everything you do is at your own risk!
REACTIVATION LOCK MUST BE TURNED OFF. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED

I figured that would be few and far between, I hope I can magically transform my phone into a dev model.... I'm assuming that'd be as good as having my old S3 without taking that bad OTA... OMG.. I'm hoping this is good news. I'm off to read the post.. I gotta work in the morning but now... Wow..... It's like a natural high if it means what I think it does. I hoonestly figured that would be like finding a needle in a haystack and my luck is never that good.. But I'm not going to count my chickens before they hatch...

Ohh attached below is the screenshot...

I'm not one for emoji's but... :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Just hope I dont screw something up trying to make a dev edition out of my device... ....

I blocked out the last number as in the example above, I don't know why that's important but since the other poster did, I figure I'd better too. Monkey see Monkey doo.

PS Sorry for the mess.. as Han would say.. yeah.. I'm that old..

Lightn1ng

Mar 31, 2015
Washington, D.C.
@griz.droidx Flash stock PB1, then root it, then unlock the bootloader! You have, by chance and luck alone, bought an S5 with the ability to unlock it ;)

Yes you can flash Cyanogenmod. Yes you can flash MM and root it. Basically do whatever you feel like :D

Question is stock PB1 a stock MM build? I'll do some reading to find out, but I have a nandroid of my BPB8 lollipop rom that's already rooted From reading the unlocking thread, and maybe I missed something I just install the APK and bam I'm unlocked. I'm guessing that once I'm unlocked, and rooted, I need to find myself a TWRP for the device. I thought I could just un-install safe strap from Alliance, Unlock and then flash a recovery.

I figured I was lucky in getting one that can be unlocked or made into a dev edition. I'm never that lucky. But on the unlucky, it appears that I have to now flash roms from the unified thread. And from what I've been able to pick up in an hour or so last night and a little at work today, I'd be best to flash only rom's for Verizon specifically. I don't know exactly to to make the others work with a Verizon MVNO but I'm certain that the VZW one's will because on the S3 I could flash any VZW rom and my MVNO (Selectel) worked. I'm hoping to find a build of AICP since that's what I was using with my S3 before it bit the dust. But flashing fever usually hits and I'm sure I'll try others.

Still doesn't look like there's much development going on for the unlocked builds. But at least I can cruise around on AOSP if I want. But the Extreme Debloat of alliance has been doing pretty good already even without my usually tweaking using autostarts and AFWALL, I do miss the privacy manager most of all from AOSP. I just think that is easier to use than the AP OPS version that's included in Alliance.

Is your phone unlocked? if so What rom are you running, and which ones have you ttied?

Lastly, I want to thank everyone for all their assistance in this thread so far. And for those of you who aren't unlocked, I'd still be interested in knowing which TW rom's you're using and stuff like that. I like aesthetics, and don't like the stock TW look of white everywhere, and I've read that with OLED or OMLED or whatever theyre called, the more black there is the easier it is on the battery. Probably doesn't make a huge difference but every little bit helps.

Lightn1ng

Mar 31, 2015
Washington, D.C.
The question is unless they're for vzw on particular will they work with my my mvno. I hope so. . But I don't think they will without. Changing apns. Or may not have the proper frequencies enabled for vzw

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Flash PB1 from SamMobile (PB1 is stock 5.0 Lollipop rom) and then root, unlock, and flash TWRP.

To simplify, tell me the ROM you want to flash and I'll tell you if it's compatible if you'd like.

EDIT: Yes roms have to be Verizon-compatible. And no changing apns will not help

Thanks for offering to check. . I've found that aicp. Resurrection remix. CM and Phoenix have versions for vzw. . Thanks for offering to check for me. . Thanks for simplifying the unlock and add aosp roms instructions. . I've read and re-read them. . A couple things I'm worried about ate what hardware features may no longer work like the fingerprint reader at least in the one kernel I found. Even unlocked and thrilled as I am I want to make sure as much of it works as possible with aosp. And I don't want to take a performance hit but doubt that'll happen. . Even when the numbers have said I did take a hit in the past three seat of the pants feel said otherwise. . Thanks again to you and everyone else who have replied. . Im still wondering which tw roms people prefer. . Alliance with extreme debloat has did better than I expected. .

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

al50

Apr 7, 2013
Down South
You'll have to make your best judgement. Users install the ROM's and use them as a DD to suit their likings and what they like for a ROM. You'll just have to read the OP of the said ROM and see for yourself....Good luck and HAPPY ROM'n

Hey fellows I am tickled pink that I accidentally ended up with a dev edition. Even though there's not a whole lot of AOSP out there for the VZW version of the s5, I do like me some AOSP. Always have the AOSP ROM bug hit me back with my DX. Having said all that, I was pretty satisfied with the Alliance Rom, and I'd imagine other TW roms have much to offer. I chose Alliance because I'd ran it on the S3 a few times especially when I needed to compare TW to AOSP. I did not upgrade using the method above but I appreciate all the replies from "Nandr0idC0nsumer" very much. I once thought about installing a MM pre rooted firmware first actually. If I could find just the modem and anything else like that which may help the performance and usability of my MM CM based RR rom, I might consider it. And it shouldn't be as difficult now with the unlocked BL. Although safestrap worked nicely for what it's meant to do.

After reading here and elsewhere about unlocking and installing AOSP, I decided to just run the apk which is option one in the how to unlock post, ran the app it installs, checked in recovery to see that it said developer, then using flashify I installed a TWRP image that I downloaded from somewhere. I think TWRP was just for klte though and not kltevzw specifically, but don't quote me on that. Lastly, I booted straight into twrp using the hardware buttons on a reboot to install the AOSP based rom and GAPPS. Easy Peasy. I'm looking for a kernel now, but since I feel that the fingerprint scanner works much better for me in AOSP, I don't want to get a kernel and mess that up even though I could always back it up first. or just re-install the rom.

Hopefully someone will come across this thread and find it useful. If anyone feels like it I'd still like to hear about those different TW roms, and why we'd want to use one for the note? or need one with the S-pen app? Can the S5 work as well as the note for writing on the screen using the S-Pen stuff?

Thanks again, and have a great weekend. Anyone who has any questions for me feel free to PM me. If I don't reply immediately don't think I'm putting you off I sometimes , many times, forget to check or don't notice that I have new images to read. Although help is better from the forum since you can many more opinions, and that's what it's for anyway.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Will read the whole thing tomarrow, but what's the first 2 numbers of your CID?
    I agree with Nandr0idC0nsumer. You didn't specify what the eMMC Brickbug check read. I'm showing the first 2 numbers needed but if you've read majority of these forums, you'd know what it means...lol
    Depends. Download "eMMC Brickbug Check" from the play store and post a screenshot of it.
    Honestly, having played a lot with various ROMS on this phones, I can say that my fav is the current stock MM. Fast, great performance and battery life, and hopefully, we will get root eventually. In the mean time, Iam not really missing it.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
    B1B is not a build, so you should check that. All lollipop builds can be rooted, and in certain situations marshmallow can be downgraded. Especially if you can unlock the bootloader. You should really check the development thread before you just give up on the device.
    @griz.droidx Flash stock PB1, then root it, then unlock the bootloader! You have, by chance and luck alone, bought an S5 with the ability to unlock it ;)

Yes you can flash Cyanogenmod. Yes you can flash MM and root it. Basically do whatever you feel like :D