[GUIDE] [Updated] Safely Upgrade and Root (NI2) + VoLTE

Search This thread

KevinDel

Apr 7, 2014
Stupid question. Do we download these files to laptop or right to the phone? I was able to root easier stuff like my Kindle Paperwhite, and other iphone, never tried an android

150kwh

Nov 14, 2011
-Yes, the idea is to have TowelRoot downloaded first, knowing it's not going to work, but when you use ODIN to flash the NCG kernel and reboot, you'll have TowelRoot installed and ready to go.
OK ... sounds like this could also work for a new s5 with OTA Lollipop? (Build VVRU1BOC4) ... I need a dark theme, Lollipop is screen burning my retinas

rrtid54

Apr 9, 2012
Stupid question. Do we download these files to laptop or right to the phone? I was able to root easier stuff like my Kindle Paperwhite, and other iphone, never tried an android

ODIN is on the laptop; the referenced NCG kernel is on the laptop; TowelRoot, RootChecker, SuperSu, BusyBox and SafeStrap are on the phone

labrea

Dec 8, 2010
I have G900VVRU1ANK2 installed on my phone, I have followed the instructions and rooted the phone successfully then flashed NI2 kernel, should I leave NI2 kernel or NK2? which one is newer or would work better with G900VVRU1ANK2 ?

Bo Barry

Jun 4, 2015
Fantastic! Worked easily, thanks. Question: I've turned off future OTAs with Titanium, but wonder if there are any other updates PRIOR to Lollipop that I should get? I plan to avoid it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

RBEmerson

Jul 15, 2012
SE PA
I tried downgrading to 4.4.4 from 5.0 and soft-bricked the phone. Booting gave me the Samsung splash animation, the VZW splash in red, and... that's it. The phone was soft-bricked. I flashed back to 5.0 and almost everything is OK. Except the WiFi option in Settings is dead. Trying to go from OFF to ON simply doesn't work. But... FoxFi does work.

At this point, I can't go backwards, to 4.4.4 to re-root, and 5.n seems clueless about rooting. Now what?

RBEmerson

Jul 15, 2012
SE PA
Maybe I've done something to improve my karma, maybe I just plain got lucky, who knows? At any rate, my S5 is now running rooted 4.4.4.

Great thanks for your guide!!

Dec 18, 2008
Charlotte
I'm on NI2. Everything here seems to be horribly laid out anymore. I want to be on NK2 everything (firmware, modem, etc), not lollipop, and rooted. Can I just Odin all of these items, flash the NCG kernal, make it rain (like I did for the NHA/NI2 updates) and then reflash the NK2 kernal? Then everything be good to go?

Last, I don't want safestrap, don't care for it. But I do want native tethering for use with a tablet in my car. A) is this possible on NK2 without safestrap.

I don't really care about upgrading, I just really want my rebooting and SD card problems to disappear. I was hoping that NK2 my fix those issues. My NI2 reboots at least once a day, and I have already had like 4 issues with my SD cards becoming "unreadable" and having to "reformat". I know this is a slight issue with KK, but I really don't want all the issues that come with LP. Maybe M will fix those issues for me. But Samsung seems to be losing much good will with me lately

labrea

Dec 8, 2010
I have rooted my 900V using this method and I believe flashing NI2 has caused some issues, can I flash NK2 back and still have root?

alshaikh711

Feb 19, 2015
unable to change prl after rooting my g900v

thank you for your easy steps
but after successfully root of my device i unable to change my prl to my new network prl (yemen mobile prl ) neither by dfs cdma tool nor by device from prl updating menu (by dialing ##3282#) even when i change data profiles by dfs tool it changed successfully except prl , also when i try to update it from device the device restarted but the prl still same as original one which is (((65535)))).
pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease help me .

musterion1973

Dec 24, 2015
-Yes, the idea is to have TowelRoot downloaded first, knowing it's not going to work, but when you use ODIN to flash the NCG kernel and reboot, you'll have TowelRoot installed and ready to go.
Hi. I am wondering, what phone this is for? or what ever info needed? I found this post linked from another site. for the version of what ever I have (posted below) . I do not know what your post above is for. you didn't mention that. I don't know what Nl2 ,VoLTE is? that does not tell what phone this for. (I don't know the terminology to be used) .. there is a serious LACK on XDA of usable info, I know not one thing about this stuff, getting any help, is darn near impossible.
there is a ton I don't know. and cannot find any info about my phone. from Step one to finish..it is all confusing and to someone that knows nothing, about the phones or even the terminology used, I am sure you can see how one would find it hard to understand.
Samsung SM-G900V
Android Version= 5.0
Baseband Version =G900VVRU2BOG5
Kernel Version = 3.4.0 DPI@SWHD7513 #1
Build number = LRX21T.G900VVRU2BOG5
SE for Android Status = Enforcing SEPF _SMG900V _5.0_0011
is the above post for the specs above?

Happy New Year lets make 2016 the best year of our life's.
and I am NOT A ROBOT.

Last edited:

elliwigy

Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
XDA App Taskforce
Hi. I am wondering, what phone this is for? or what ever info needed? I found this post linked from another site. for the version of what ever I have (posted below) . I do not know what your post above is for. you didn't mention that. I don't know what Nl2 ,VoLTE is? that does not tell what phone this for. (I don't know the terminology to be used) .. there is a serious LACK on XDA of usable info, I know not one thing about this stuff, getting any help, is darn near impossible.
there is a ton I don't know. and cannot find any info about my phone. from Step one to finish..it is all confusing and to someone that knows nothing, about the phones or even the terminology used, I am sure you can see how one would find it hard to understand.
Samsung SM-G900V
Android Version= 5.0

and I am NOT A ROBOT.

my first suggestion is to not mess with anything if you are not knowledgable as you can brick your phone.

this thread is in the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5 forum which is the same model as the SM-G900V.

You are on OG5 which is a more recent firmware than NI2.

XDA is amazing and a treasure trove of information. Im sorry however if you do not understand anything on this site.

You also did not say exactly what youre trying to do or accomplish?

Every forum on here is separated by device and all pertinient info/roms/files for that device would be in that forum.. its actually really easy to find stuff as well as there is a search option.

CHug84

Oct 27, 2014
Hello all. I followed this guide about a year ago with my device and got it working fine after having to fix a small issue. Now, I'm looking to upgrade to the latest version of android for the S5 which I believe is 5.0? Is it worth the upgrade or should I leave as is? If it's worth it, can anyone point me in the right direction, possible to a custom rom so I don't have to deal with bloatware? Thanks in advance.

ibrubeer

Aug 6, 2009
Nebraska
Hello all. I followed this guide about a year ago with my device and got it working fine after having to fix a small issue. Now, I'm looking to upgrade to the latest version of android for the S5 which I believe is 5.0? Is it worth the upgrade or should I leave as is? If it's worth it, can anyone point me in the right direction, possible to a custom rom so I don't have to deal with bloatware? Thanks in advance.

Ironically, I have been wondering the same thing. I need to keep root, but wondered if the move to 5.0 was worth it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RipRap

Jul 6, 2007
Berlin
From the lack of use of this forum thread, I can't help but come to the conclusion that any S5 with a version newer than Android 4.xx is UNROOTABLE. Is this correct?

Reactions: Akky1040

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update: People seem to be getting confused. You take the latest ota after step 2 then continue. When you are done there should be no OTA as you are on the latest firmware

Before I start this is how I rooted MY phone and a few friends as we all wanted to test out Verizon's new VoLTE only on Android 4.4.4. I Just fallowed other guides (Links below) To get this to root my phone and did not do any of this without XDA help.

If you wish to use VoLTE fallow the link here:
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/consumer/advanced-calling.html

DO NOT DO OTA! To NHA IF ROOTES OR EVER ROOTED

The ota update should fail, if it does not you might get stuck on a bootloop and need to reset your phone. this happened to me and someone else I was helping.

Files To Download:
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23622183712472866 (Unzip NI2_stock_kernel.tar.md5)
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23578570567722142 (G900V_NCG_Stock_Kernel.tar.md5)
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23622183712472389 (G900VVRU1ANHA_G900VVZW1ANHA_VZW.zip)
    www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23501681358547889 (Odin)

Steps.
    Pre: Install Towel Root prior https://towelroot.com/ if you have not already.

(Step 1 is Only If your not already on NHA or made changes beyond rooting to your device)
    1. Update To 4.4.4 using G900VVRU1ANHA_G900VVZW1ANHA_VZW.zip, Extract the files and select it in AP under Odin. Turn off your device and hold DOWN VOLUME + HOME + POWER to get into Download Mode, you phone should show up in Odin if it does not, then manually download the drivers from Here

2. Once your phone shows up on Odin press "Start" and wait a few minutes.

2.5 NEW STEP: Take OTA to NI2.

3. Once your phones starts put it back into download mode, and select G900V_NCG_Stock_Kernel.tar.md5 under PA and Click start and wait a few minutes.

4. Once your phone restarts you may notice some apps will start to fail and force close, this is why I had you install Towel Root prior so we can get in and get out, Press Ok or Force Close continuously if necessary until you get Towel Root open and "Make it rain". Then turn off the phone and go back into Download Mode.

5. Now flash NI2_stock_kernel.tar.md5 and let the phone restart

6. Everything should be good! :) Enjoy and message for help.

I am not responsible for what happens!! Well unless you get it working 100% and are happy. But There is a risk

Credits:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=53447942&postcount=1
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=55344776&postcount=9
    NK2 Rooting

You'll have to forgive me, I'm technologically competent in every area except mobile OSes - is the "G900VVRU1ANHA_G900VVZW1ANHA_VZW.zip" the pre-rooted firmware? And I can Odin that by having the phone in download mode and doing it the same way I load (flash?) anything to it?

When I first rooted, I followed all the steps except that one because my phone was already the correct version, so it sounds like you're telling me to just redo all the steps + that one, is that correct?

You have to ELI5 or like I'm a windows user. Thanks again, really do appreciate it.
    No since you are on the latest firmware.... Just follow this OP but start with flashing the kernel in step 3, just have towel root already installed because of all the force closes, then flash the NK2 firmware from the link I provided and you will have root

GUIDE to ROOT on NK2 Firmware (If you are on NK2 and not rooted)

1. Install Towel Root

2. Download G900V_NCG_Stock_Kernel.tar.md5 from this OP

3. Odin flash NCG Stock Kernel

4. Reboot phone

5. Root with Towel Root

6. Reboot to Download Mode

7. Odin flash (Extract Tar from Zip before you flash)NK2_Firmware_Only.zip (This installs Kernel and Modem and retains root or NK2_Kernel Only. Either one is fine

8. Install Superuser from Market if you have not already (You can do this during step 1 as well

9. Open Superuser and It should request to update binary - Choose Normal (DO NOT CHOSE TWRP)

10. Done

You can use safestrap to flash custom ROMs on the NK2 base only if you want custom ROMs

Sent from my Definitive v1.5 Note 4 using Tapatalk
    Does this include the little incremental update that came out yesterday? I followed the steps outlined here http://xdaforums.com/verizon-galaxy-s5/general/vzw-ota-4-4-4-pushed-t2872220/post55347753 and am now rooted on 4.4.4 (NHA). What about yesterday's update (NI2)?

Yes I just updated the files, Enjoy
    Just a general note to EVERYONE... if you do not want to Auto Update you should download TiBu and either Freeze (if you do wish to upgrade later naturally and you haven't debloated) or remove the SDM.apk on the phone. This will either disable or remove the possibility to upgrade.
    Samsung SM-G900V
    Android Version= 5.0

and I am NOT A ROBOT.

my first suggestion is to not mess with anything if you are not knowledgable as you can brick your phone.

this thread is in the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5 forum which is the same model as the SM-G900V.

You are on OG5 which is a more recent firmware than NI2.

XDA is amazing and a treasure trove of information. Im sorry however if you do not understand anything on this site.

You also did not say exactly what youre trying to do or accomplish?

Every forum on here is separated by device and all pertinient info/roms/files for that device would be in that forum.. its actually really easy to find stuff as well as there is a search option.