Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
View Poll Results: What would you be willing to pay customer service for a bootloader unlock?
$0 43 18.70%
$5 25 10.87%
$25 94 40.87%
$50 47 20.43%
$100 21 9.13%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Verizon Wireless Developer Program

OP eragon5779

20th August 2014, 02:35 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 118

200 posts
Donate to Me
More
This is for any Verizon device, not just the Samsung Galaxy S5. Please spread this to other device forums!
Recently, I came up with an idea of a developer program. What this program would do is allow people to pay a fee to have their bootloaders unlocked, regardless of the device. This would allow people the freedom to modify their device or develop for it without any issues. I did a little research and could not find anything similar to this (besides developer edition devices). So, with this idea in mind, I sent an email to the Executive VP of Verizon. Twenty minutes later, I received a phone call from his office. Long story short (there was a lot of talk about rooting and unlocking), the guy who called me put my idea through to marketing. However, since only about 1% of customers root their devices, there is concern of the interest in this.

What this thread is for is to see how many people would be interested in this program.

What would you be willing to pay to customer service to have your bootloader unlocked?
$0

$5

$25

$50

$100

Please use only one of those five prices, and no other prices.

You may discuss this in further detail in this thread. However, arguing, trolling, slandering, bickering, and anything else that will clutter this thread and overwork the moderators WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. This thread is not the thread to argue with others over the details since the idea is already in marketing. If you wish to argue or troll, please take it somewhere else. And, as always, please follow the forum rules. Thank you for looking at this thread.

For those who are concerned with the warranty, please read this. Huge thanks to @shootind5nukes for this info.

Quote:

Just so everyone knows the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act prevents someone from totally VOIDING a warranty. Verizon/Samsung could only deny to warranty something if they can prove something you did cause the issue. Anything that has nothing to do with what you did still has to be under warranty. If you LCD started to lose color or get dead pixels that would still have to be covered because that has nothing to do with bootloaders and flashing ROMS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act

"The federal minimum standards for full warranties are waived if the warrantor can show that the problem associated with a warranted consumer product was caused by damage while in the possession of the consumer, or by unreasonable use, including a failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance."

I learned about this when I was going to get my truck lifted. I was told if I did it would VOID my truck's warranty. After looking into it further it didn't actually VOID anything. But for example if I went in to get my suspension fixed because it broke they could argue that the lift kit put stress on the suspension and that's why it failed so they would not have to cover it. But if my motor exploded because it was made out of cheese it would still be under warranty, the entire warranty can never be voided. Only damage caused by what you did. Food for thought guys.

If anyone has anything to add please do.

Here is the email of the VP I emailed if you want to email him about the developer program. Again, thank you @shootind5nukes for this idea.
http://www.verizonwireless.com/about...vid-small.html
IF YOU DO EMAIL HIM, BE POLITE AND RESPECTFUL PLEASE.
Last edited by eragon5779; 18th September 2014 at 12:04 AM.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to eragon5779 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th August 2014, 02:51 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 355

808 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eragon5779

What would you be willing to pay to customer service to have your bootloader unlocked?

$0. I am a firm believer that the devices I purchase should be fully open for customization.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Cat McGowan For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th August 2014, 03:58 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 23

142 posts
At this point I would be willing to pay a one time fee of $25. It makes sense it would be a charge since the dev edition has to be bought at full price.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to jhasty01 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th August 2014, 04:04 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 482

1,293 posts
Donate to Me
More
Verizon has alot of customers 1% is alot of people.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joshuabg For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th August 2014, 04:15 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 218

380 posts
Great program, if implemented. Kudos for the idea AND getting a response! I would pay up to a hundred bucks for an official unlock like this, but I have ATT...
20th August 2014, 04:17 PM   |  #6  
Flag Austin
Thanks Meter: 10

59 posts
More
25 is fair, but I'd pay up to 50, if it included some insurance for the device. Is also say, that as an ATT customer, a service like this would tempt me to switch to Verizon
The Following User Says Thank You to MatthewPresley For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th August 2014, 04:48 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 51

233 posts
$25

From my SCH-I545 on HD15
20th August 2014, 05:01 PM   |  #8  
Cincinnati
Thanks Meter: 663

629 posts
Donate to Me
More
I'm on ATT as well but would pay upto $50. But my question is if they give a way to unlock it, it would be universal thru all phones. So why wouldn't i just tell my friend. If they would do this why wouldn't they just charge an extra $50 on every phone and have every phone unlocked. No more hassle. Why are they so greedy? If it's only 1% that care about there freedom what would they loose? They would make tons more money.....

http://i.imgur.com/0OBoXTC.jpg
20th August 2014, 05:07 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 23

68 posts
More
I agree w/ @Cat McGowan, devices should be open for development. And therefore would like to pay $0, but a $5 fee isn't too bad...
20th August 2014, 05:09 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 482

1,293 posts
Donate to Me
More
According to this there are 107.7 million Verizon wireless customers. So if 1.077 Million people (1%) root there devices on Verizon Wireless and are willing to pay $5 for a bootloader unlock, If everybody pays $5 to unlock there device Verizon would make 5.385 Million Dollars

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joshuabg For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread