Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,064 Members 41,430 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Buy Developer Edition or not?

Tip us?

roleary
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Buy Developer Edition or not?

Hey everyone. So, in order to keep my plan, I'm stuck paying full price for an S5 either way. Question I have for this esteemed audience is, given I'm spending 100s of $$ either way, should I get the Developer edition? Or just get a retail edition?

I'm a bit unclear on if there's any disadvantage to the Developer Edition.

Thanks in advance!

Naylor07
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by roleary View Post
Hey everyone. So, in order to keep my plan, I'm stuck paying full price for an S5 either way. Question I have for this esteemed audience is, given I'm spending 100s of $$ either way, should I get the Developer edition? Or just get a retail edition?

Thanks in advance!
Samsung has a bad track record of keeping their developer editions up to date. I have a Motorola X developer edition, but Motorola does a better job keeping that version up to date.

I just bought an S5 at full price, I choose to not go for the developer's edition.

Big Dawg 23
Old
Thanks Meter 10
If you intend to root and custom rom go with Developer Edition as boot loader is unlocked.
HTC XV6800>BB Storm>BB Tour>Droid 1> Droid X>HTC HD2 & T-Mo G2>iPhone 4>Atrix>SGSII>HTC Vivid>SGSII Skyrocket>iPhone 4s>POS HTC Vivid>Galaxy Note>Galaxy Note 2

jpcalhoun
Old
Thanks Meter 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by roleary View Post

Thanks in advance!
As mentioned, if you want to root and flash a custom recovery and ROM then go with the Dev Edition. I had an S4 Dev Edition before my S5 Dev Edition. Samsung never released an update or recovery files for the Dev Edition and will probably follow the same policy for the S5. I don't know what their logic is but it really doesn't matter. Our Dev community does a great job taking the latest firmware, tweakng it and releasing ROMs that are updated.. The key to a Dev Edition is the unlocked bootloader, as long as you keep your Dev Edition bootloader you can flash just about anything you want. The alternative is a retail version of the S5, rooted with Safestrap, but then you can only flash Touch Wiz based ROMs. I love my S5 Dev Edition and having an unlocked bootloader makes it so simple to flash a custom recovery, root and flash ROMs..

vfnewman
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I have the Developer Edition because I don't buy subsidized phones, and I like to flash any ROM I want (I came from the Galaxy Nexus).

Can I flash ANY Verizon S5 ROM, including the ones that are intended to be installed with SafeStrap? (most are).

Thanks in advance.

jpcalhoun
Old
Thanks Meter 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfnewman View Post
I have the Developer Edition because I don't buy subsidized phones, and I like to flash any ROM I want (I came from the Galaxy Nexus).

Can I flash ANY Verizon S5 ROM, including the ones that are intended to be installed with SafeStrap? (most are).

Thanks in advance.
I'm pretty sure you can. The Developer in his OP should address any special instructions for SafeStrap users and Dev owners. If there is a restriction on who can flash the ROM, it is probably more restrictive for the Safestrap users vice the Dev owners.