Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,363 Members 43,993 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Some questions on the current state of Verizon S5 hacking

Tip us?

berfles
Old
Thanks Meter 35
I would like the piggyback off this thread since I also just got my S5 a couple days ago. I have an OTA update pending, I'll attach a screenshot of my current version number here but should I not update it until I root it or is it still possible to root with the latest software? After I do root it should I lock the file that is used to detect new versions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ix2q95JZZZSUG.png
Views:	58
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	2928219  

larryk
Old
Thanks Meter 23
If you have not updated, do not update, use towelroot to root, then freeze SDM using Titanium Backup
Galaxy S5
Verizon
Qi Wireless Charging

Asus TF-101 (June 2011 and going strong!)
KatKiss Kitkatt 4.4.4

berfles
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Ok, did that, that was easy. Quick read through of that thread says he works for Google now and people who updated basically shot them selves in the foot for that method, is that about right?

What should I do after I root, download SuperSU? Anything else I should need?

EDIT: Oh, it already restored SuperSU from my app sync so I don't even need that.

DerpMagoo
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I had the ne9 version and immediately odin flashed to NCG and rooted. Then I SU'd, busyboxed, then safestrapped. Flashed alliancerom over my system after testing it on a different partition. So now I have alliancerom running and have customized the heck out of it.

muniz_ri
Old
Thanks Meter 1,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by berfles View Post
I would like the piggyback off this thread since I also just got my S5 a couple days ago. I have an OTA update pending, I'll attach a screenshot of my current version number here but should I not update it until I root it or is it still possible to root with the latest software? After I do root it should I lock the file that is used to detect new versions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by berfles View Post
Ok, did that, that was easy. Quick read through of that thread says he works for Google now and people who updated basically shot them selves in the foot for that method, is that about right?

What should I do after I root, download SuperSU? Anything else I should need?

EDIT: Oh, it already restored SuperSU from my app sync so I don't even need that.

Yes, it's possible to root the latest firmware(NE9). See here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/veri...1ane9-t2836201

And with any luck we should be able to keep root on any subsequent updates if not with the kernel swap method with other methods.