FORUMS

Earthquake Early Warning in Your Pocket

Probably all of us reading this have a smartphone in our pocket. For many of us, the … more

Sony: The OEM You Want To Save

In our recent Discuss article, we asked you readers on which OEM you would like to help. While the … more

How to Lock and Protect Your Apps – XDA Xposed Tuesday

The smartphone revolution has passed. Everybody has mobile apps. Some of … more

Which OEM Would You Like to Help?

Most manufacturers have moments of greatness and moments of decadence, and in the past few years … more

[Q] Some questions on the current state of Verizon S5 hacking

114 posts
Thanks Meter: 11

By TraderJack, Senior Member on 3rd September 2014, 04:46 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
7th September 2014, 05:47 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 40

More
I would like the piggyback off this thread since I also just got my S5 a couple days ago. I have an OTA update pending, I'll attach a screenshot of my current version number here but should I not update it until I root it or is it still possible to root with the latest software? After I do root it should I lock the file that is used to detect new versions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ix2q95JZZZSUG.png
Views:	64
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	2928219  

7th September 2014, 06:42 PM |#12  
Flag Pahrump, NV
Thanks Meter: 26

More
If you have not updated, do not update, use towelroot to root, then freeze SDM using Titanium Backup
7th September 2014, 09:50 PM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 40

More
Ok, did that, that was easy. Quick read through of that thread says he works for Google now and people who updated basically shot them selves in the foot for that method, is that about right?

What should I do after I root, download SuperSU? Anything else I should need?

EDIT: Oh, it already restored SuperSU from my app sync so I don't even need that.
8th September 2014, 04:23 AM |#14  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I had the ne9 version and immediately odin flashed to NCG and rooted. Then I SU'd, busyboxed, then safestrapped. Flashed alliancerom over my system after testing it on a different partition. So now I have alliancerom running and have customized the heck out of it.
8th September 2014, 06:42 AM |#15  
Thanks Meter: 3,946

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by berfles

I would like the piggyback off this thread since I also just got my S5 a couple days ago. I have an OTA update pending, I'll attach a screenshot of my current version number here but should I not update it until I root it or is it still possible to root with the latest software? After I do root it should I lock the file that is used to detect new versions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by berfles

Ok, did that, that was easy. Quick read through of that thread says he works for Google now and people who updated basically shot them selves in the foot for that method, is that about right?

What should I do after I root, download SuperSU? Anything else I should need?

EDIT: Oh, it already restored SuperSU from my app sync so I don't even need that.

Yes, it's possible to root the latest firmware(NE9). See here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/veri...1ane9-t2836201

And with any luck we should be able to keep root on any subsequent updates if not with the kernel swap method with other methods.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread