Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,687 Members 39,972 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] E:failed to mount /sdcard

Tip us?

Ysosrslawl
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] E:failed to mount /sdcard

Having some issues getting a recovery to be flashed on this new device, I am not use to a phone that when rooted doesn't have some stock recovery that actually works. And by that I mean, allows me to install zip from file. All I get is the option to reboot, flash from adb, install from external, wipe factory reset, wipe cache, and install from cache.

Sorry if this has been asked a few times before, but with my searching I didn't find any one answer that solved my problem. Tried flashing a recovery via odin but it said Auth fail for the recovery. Going to try a few other things and see what I can come up with.

Thanks in advanced!

chrisbass
Old
Thanks Meter 100
What recovery are you trying to flash? I believe the closet thing we have to a custom recovery is safestrap. Is that what your trying to install?

Misterxtc
Old
Thanks Meter 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ysosrslawl View Post
Having some issues getting a recovery to be flashed on this new device, I am not use to a phone that when rooted doesn't have some stock recovery that actually works. And by that I mean, allows me to install zip from file. All I get is the option to reboot, flash from adb, install from external, wipe factory reset, wipe cache, and install from cache.

Sorry if this has been asked a few times before, but with my searching I didn't find any one answer that solved my problem. Tried flashing a recovery via odin but it said Auth fail for the recovery. Going to try a few other things and see what I can come up with.

Thanks in advanced!
It sounds like you flashed philz touch recovery witch will not work with the VZW S5 you need to flash SafeStrap Recovery. You might need to Odin back to stock and re root your device to get it back to normal first.

Ysosrslawl
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbass View Post
What recovery are you trying to flash? I believe the closet thing we have to a custom recovery is safestrap. Is that what your trying to install?
I didn't flash anything when I first started rooting the phone I just used towelroot, then when the OTA messed it up I went and did the NCG to NE9 method using odin and towelroot. But every time I went into recovery, it has been the same. It wasn't until I used the toolkit from the forums that installed safestrap and busybox did I actually get a different recovery, but even if I reboot into recovery it still takes me to the stock one first and then on reboot i can access safestrap.

chrisbass
Old
Thanks Meter 100
Yes, that's how safestrap works, through a process called "bootstrapping". It never replaces your stock recovery so when you boot into recovery it'll always be stock but upon boot you'll be presented with the safestrap option.....totally normal

Ysosrslawl
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
On another note, my Supersu binaries wont update so I'm going back to stock anyway. I think I may leave it at stock for a while until I see some more ROMs come out.

Chopstix9
Old
Thanks Meter 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ysosrslawl View Post
On another note, my Supersu binaries wont update so I'm going back to stock anyway. I think I may leave it at stock for a while until I see some more ROMs come out.
Your other option is what I have done. I first went the safestrap route but installed rom on rom slot before finding out about the bugz in safestrap. So I odined back to stock. Instead of installing something with bugz in it I rooted, installed supersu and Xposed framework with some modules. Wanam module gives you most of the customizations found in custom roms. Tons of other modules for pretty much anything you want to tweak. Works like a champ on stock system.
VZW Galaxy S 5 KK 4.4.4
Rooted / SuperSU / Xposed / Wanam +
-------------------------------------
Galaxy Nexus-Retired
VZW Droid Charge-Retired
Original Moto Droid-Retired