OP jejb

17th August 2014, 01:39 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Rogers, AR
Thanks Meter: 83

320 posts
More
Hi folks,

First post on the Verizon side. I've been on Sprint forever but am looking at converting to Verizon for their better coverage and better customer satisfaction (at least according to Consumer Reports). We went to the local Verizon store and it seems like we could save money by switching to their 2 year contract. But I want to confirm a couple of things with the forum, as I know sometimes you get, um, incomplete info from the sales folks.

On Sprint, you have to pay an additional charge to make the phone a hotspot. It is THE reason I rooted my S4, to be able to do that for free. I was told it is a free include on the Verizon smartphone plans. So can y'all confirm that is true, and talk about any issues/details I should know about? It would sure make the deal pretty sweet if that is included and pain free!

It sounds like it's easy to change the plan we are on for anticipated data usage. Most of the time, we have very little data usage during the month as we're almost always on a wifi connection. But we own an RV and can use a lot of data (hotspot) when on the road, for up to 2 months at time. Is it as easy as they say to call and bump it up for a couple of months, and then back down when done? Any pitfalls or costs associated with it?

How about roaming data usage? I was told at the store that as long as 50% or less of the data usage is roaming, they don't care. True? Horror stories?
17th August 2014, 06:40 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 35

73 posts
Yes Hotspot usage is included in the plans for everyone except people like myself who still have unlimited data plan. You can also bump up your data if you expect to go over your limit and also bump it back down whenever needed without any problem or extra charges. Your roaming question im not sure about.

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to Savagerun For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th August 2014, 11:42 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 1

1 posts
No data/domestic roaming on Verizon. 50 states included

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to jbturne2 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd August 2014, 05:27 AM   |  #4  
Flag Cincinnati
Thanks Meter: 36

496 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savagerun

Yes Hotspot usage is included in the plans for everyone except people like myself who still have unlimited data plan. You can also bump up your data if you expect to go over your limit and also bump it back down whenever needed without any problem or extra charges. Your roaming question im not sure about.

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

That's technically incorrect. It's not free on the $60 2gb unlimited talk and text plan, it's $15 each device(not a more everything plan). In a more everything plan it'll be included.

OP say you get 4gb of data.

1. On more everything it would be $70 for data and $40 for each smart phone so $150 total. The data is one allotment.

2. You do it on the individual plans on a family account, it can be done, but it would be $60 for 2gb per line and unlimited talk and text, so $120 for two with 4gb total. Add $15 per phone for hotspot, if it's on both then the plan cost is equal.

3. Edge, a bit more complicated but if you 4gb just get 10gb as the cost is the same because of the access fee discount per line.
The Following User Says Thank You to joshua.justice For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd August 2014, 10:18 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Rogers, AR
Thanks Meter: 83

320 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua.justice

That's technically incorrect. It's not free on the $60 2gb unlimited talk and text plan, it's $15 each device(not a more everything plan). In a more everything plan it'll be included.

OP say you get 4gb of data.

1. On more everything it would be $70 for data and $40 for each smart phone so $150 total. The data is one allotment.

2. You do it on the individual plans on a family account, it can be done, but it would be $60 for 2gb per line and unlimited talk and text, so $120 for two with 4gb total. Add $15 per phone for hotspot, if it's on both then the plan cost is equal.

3. Edge, a bit more complicated but if you 4gb just get 10gb as the cost is the same because of the access fee discount per line.

Thanks for the break down. I think I get it.

Another question about the hotspot. When hooked to the Hotspot, can the phone still make/receive calls? Assuming S5 and Note 3.
22nd August 2014, 10:46 PM   |  #6  
Flag Cincinnati
Thanks Meter: 36

496 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jejb

Thanks for the break down. I think I get it.

Another question about the hotspot. When hooked to the Hotspot, can the phone still make/receive calls? Assuming S5 and Note 3.

You're welcome, unfortunately I understand it all too well as I work at Best Buy and I'm fairly certain it wouldn't as voice is still a separate network frequency and CDMA can't use voice and data simultaneously. When they do VoLTE (voice over lte) it will work. They're suppose to be rolling out anytime.
The Following User Says Thank You to joshua.justice For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd August 2014, 01:23 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 14

34 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua.justice

You're welcome, unfortunately I understand it all too well as I work at Best Buy and I'm fairly certain it wouldn't as voice is still a separate network frequency and CDMA can't use voice and data simultaneously. When they do VoLTE (voice over lte) it will work. They're suppose to be rolling out anytime.

Mostly right.

If you're in a 4G area, you can make/receive a call and still use 4G data at the same time.
The Following User Says Thank You to quantumalpha For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th August 2014, 05:20 PM   |  #8  
Monroe, MI
Thanks Meter: 45

361 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumalpha

Mostly right.

If you're in a 4G area, you can make/receive a call and still use 4G data at the same time.

Ding ding a ding ding ...

Data drops on phone call if on 3g .... LTE and voice work simultaneously no problem I do it all the time.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread