Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,404 Members 49,714 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Please help me out water damage?

Tip us?

hakoreh
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default Please help me out water damage?

So I've had my S5 for over 2 months. I'm always very careful with my stuff. I had the original cover on the phone and once a week I would run it under cold water to wash off any grime or dirt. Everything would be fine.

Now I got the wireless charging cover and I did the same routine. I made 1000% sure it was sealed completely. Now I start to experience slow down and freezing. So much so I have to remove the battery to restart. So I take off the cover and I see water on the battery. Not a lot but this is supposed to be wster resistant. I also notice some water where the cover snaps on to the phone. I dry it all off..I also called Verizon who said I'd have to go to the store to check for water damage which I say to myself Huh? But it's water resistant. Anyways I go to the store and they see nothing wrong with it. They said I can get a like new replacement but I feel that unfair since I spent my money and its not even 3 months old.

I noticed when I got home that by the speaker win the wireless cover it's not flush against he phone. The snaps are all in place but still there's a considerable gap between the cover and phone. Then I took the cover off and put the regular cover back on and there was no gap. It's flush against. Now is it possible hbis is a defect?

And should I accept the replacement device? Right now he phone is Ok but I'm worried no one wants a damaged phone.

Also my boot screen says custom even though I haven't rooted. I even used a root checker to make sure. Only thing I did was turn off some apps and install nova.

Weird? Advice?

Ty

kprice8
Old
Thanks Meter 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakoreh View Post
So I've had my S5 for over 2 months. I'm always very careful with my stuff. I had the original cover on the phone and once a week I would run it under cold water to wash off any grime or dirt. Everything would be fine.

Now I got the wireless charging cover and I did the same routine. I made 1000% sure it was sealed completely. Now I start to experience slow down and freezing. So much so I have to remove the battery to restart. So I take off the cover and I see water on the battery. Not a lot but this is supposed to be wster resistant. I also notice some water where the cover snaps on to the phone. I dry it all off..I also called Verizon who said I'd have to go to the store to check for water damage which I say to myself Huh? But it's water resistant. Anyways I go to the store and they see nothing wrong with it. They said I can get a like new replacement but I feel that unfair since I spent my money and its not even 3 months old.

I noticed when I got home that by the speaker win the wireless cover it's not flush against he phone. The snaps are all in place but still there's a considerable gap between the cover and phone. Then I took the cover off and put the regular cover back on and there was no gap. It's flush against. Now is it possible hbis is a defect?

And should I accept the replacement device? Right now he phone is Ok but I'm worried no one wants a damaged phone.

Also my boot screen says custom even though I haven't rooted. I even used a root checker to make sure. Only thing I did was turn off some apps and install nova.

Weird? Advice?

Ty
Well, first of all. The extended battery and cover for it were said a lonnnng time ago to not be water tight. So that's probably part of your problem.

Secondly, I would recommend using Computer screen cleaning wipes, or a microfiber cloth and a little bit of windex or other non-harmful glass cleaner to clean it instead of running cold water over it..

The more you can control what is cleaning it, the better off you are. A little more than A LOT.
If I helped you, hit thanks if you like.

-Kevin

hakoreh
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kprice8 View Post
Well, first of all. The extended battery and cover for it were said a lonnnng time ago to not be water tight. So that's probably part of your problem.

Secondly, I would recommend using Computer screen cleaning wipes, or a microfiber cloth and a little bit of windex or other non-harmful glass cleaner to clean it instead of running cold water over it..

The more you can control what is cleaning it, the better off you are. A little more than A LOT.
I'm running the stock battery and the wireless cover. I've read a lot of places it keeps the wireless seal. In fact the Samsung site States the same.

kprice8
Old
Thanks Meter 197
Quote:
I'm running the stock battery and the wireless cover. I've read a lot of places it keeps the wireless seal. In fact the Samsung site States the same.
My apologies, it is still early.

I have still read on these forums that despite the claim by Samsung that it will hold the seal, users were saying it doesn't. Perhaps do a search for it and see what they say?
If I helped you, hit thanks if you like.

-Kevin
The Following User Says Thank You to kprice8 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Hobson318
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Quote:
if you are using an official samsung accessory, you can send it back to samsung for repair. they will replace damaged parts with new ones. or you can go to verizon and get the like new one. either way, i wouldn't hold on to it if it has water damage and is acting flakey. it will never be right and by the time you get fed up with it you are out of warranty. replace it. and really, if verizon gives you a phone that is in as good a shape as the one you have, and works perfectly, who cares if someone else tried it and didn't like it and returned it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hobson318 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hakoreh
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobson318 View Post
if you are using an official samsung accessory, you can send it back to samsung for repair. they will replace damaged parts with new ones. or you can go to verizon and get the like new one. either way, i wouldn't hold on to it if it has water damage and is acting flakey. it will never be right and by the time you get fed up with it you are out of warranty. replace it. and really, if verizon gives you a phone that is in as good a shape as the one you have, and works perfectly, who cares if someone else tried it and didn't like it and returned it.
I spoke to Samsung and they basically said I got a defective cover which honestly is BS. They said they can repair the phone but I wouldn't have access to a replacement and they don't provide replacements. Honestly I've always liked Samsung but now I'm thinking should I just take the replacement, sell it and get the LG G3 or something.

Hobson318
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Quote:
I spoke to Samsung and they basically said I got a defective cover which honestly is BS. They said they can repair the phone but I wouldn't have access to a replacement and they don't provide replacements. Honestly I've always liked Samsung but now I'm thinking should I just take the replacement, sell it and get the LG G3 or something.
At least samsung is willing to repair the phone. They could have just said it was your fault for not installing the cover correctly. I sent them a 16gb S3 a while back that I bricked. They fixed it and sent it back to me as a 32gb model. Did right by me. You aren't going to be any worse for taking the replacement verizon will give you. It will still have the same warranty plus it has the benefit of additional QA testing from factory.