Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,045 Members 38,258 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

S5 Won't turn off, won't boot into recovery

Tip us?

Haloman800
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Default S5 Won't turn off, won't boot into recovery

I tried 2 ROMs: Alliance and Extreme Debloat. If I try to turn off the phone it gets stuck at the booting down logo. This happens when I try to restart it, when I try to boot into SafeStrap, or any other way I attempt to power off the phone.

If I pull the battery & boot up, at the SafeStrap splash screen, even when hitting the "Recents" button it does not let me get into SafeStrap.

How do I fix this? What's the cause?

Misterxtc
Old
Thanks Meter 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haloman800 View Post
I tried 2 ROMs: Alliance and Extreme Debloat. If I try to turn off the phone it gets stuck at the booting down logo. This happens when I try to restart it, when I try to boot into SafeStrap, or any other way I attempt to power off the phone.

If I pull the battery & boot up, at the SafeStrap splash screen, even when hitting the "Recents" button it does not let me get into SafeStrap.

How do I fix this? What's the cause?
Odin back to stock, re-root and try it again. I'm not sure what causes this but it happened to me a few times with my old Note 3 and SafeStrap.

Haloman800
Old
(Last edited by Haloman800; 19th July 2014 at 09:29 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterxtc View Post
Odin back to stock, re-root and try it again. I'm not sure what causes this but it happened to me a few times with my old Note 3 and SafeStrap.
Doing this now. Thanks for the prompt reply.. I've been going insane

How I rooted originally: Installed towelroot successfully, then installed safestrap, booted into recovery, backed up system, created ROM slot #1, and installed a ROM.

Did I do something incorrectly?

edit: p.s. nice avatar
The Following User Says Thank You to Haloman800 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Misterxtc
Old
(Last edited by Misterxtc; 19th July 2014 at 09:33 PM.)
Thanks Meter 869
Quote:
Doing this now. Thanks for the prompt reply.. I've been going insane

How I rooted originally: Installed towelroot successfully, then installed safestrap, booted into recovery, backed up system, created ROM slot #1, and installed a ROM.

Did I do something incorrectly?
Not really but I stay away from ROM slots because there is a bug with having to pull the battery on reboot. Re-download the latest SS because the first one had a problem with memory corruption witch sounds like happened to you. If you can get into stock recovery try clearing cache or factory resetting from there. Either way you will have to reset. It's safe to flash to the stock slot as long as you have a good backup.
Edit: Thanks on the avatar, quite a few people like it. Hopefully it helps someone out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Misterxtc For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Haloman800
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterxtc View Post
Not really but I stay away from ROM slots because there is a bug with having to pull the battery on reboot. Re-download the latest SS because the first one had a problem with memory corruption witch sounds like happened to you. If you can get into stock recovery try clearing cache or factory resetting from there. Either way you will have to reset. It's safe to flash to the stock slot as long as you have a good backup.
So after I ODIN I should:

1. Re-root
2. Re-download & install SS
3. Backup, then wipe everything & install in the main ROM slot

?

Misterxtc
Old
Thanks Meter 869
Quote:
So after I ODIN I should:

1. Re-root
2. Re-download & install SS
3. Backup, then wipe everything & install in the main ROM slot

?
Yup, run towelroot and update SU from SS.
The Following User Says Thank You to Misterxtc For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Haloman800
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Worked perfectly. Thanks!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Haloman800 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Misterxtc
Old
Thanks Meter 869
Quote:
Worked perfectly. Thanks!!
Cool, I'm glad it worked for you.