Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,801 Members 44,242 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Unlimited Data throttling VZW

Tip us?

spjetrovic
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 60
Default Unlimited Data throttling VZW

Verizon to throttle 4G LTE users with unlimited plans starting October .

http://www.androidauthority.com/veri...ober-1-409934/

sent from the great free Palestine!

dadsterflip
Old
Thanks Meter 67
I wonder if this affects current on contract unlimited data.

mc_365
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsterflip View Post
I wonder if this affects current on contract unlimited data.
At this point there aren't many if any on contract Unlimited data plans, as they stopped offering unlimited 3 years ago.

shortstuff_mt
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_365 View Post
At this point there aren't many if any on contract Unlimited data plans, as they stopped offering unlimited 3 years ago.
That's not true. There's a fairly well-known loophole of using alternate upgrades to keep unlimited data and extend your contract. I've successfully done it three times now. The last time was in April when I got my M8. I have unlimited data and my contract expiration date is 04/07/2016.
The Following User Says Thank You to shortstuff_mt For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dadsterflip
Old
Thanks Meter 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstuff_mt View Post
That's not true. There's a fairly well-known loophole of using alternate upgrades to keep unlimited data and extend your contract. I've successfully done it three times now. The last time was in April when I got my M8. I have unlimited data and my contract expiration date is 04/07/2016.
This... So we shouldn't get affected then ?

shortstuff_mt
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsterflip View Post
This... So we shouldn't get affected then ?
Technically, according to the conditions of the list, we should be fine. One of the conditions is "Have fulfilled their minimum contract term". This is Big Red we're talking about here, though, so you never know. I hope T-Mobile steps up their coverage game in my area soon. I'm sure they will welcome me with open arms when Big Red forces me to get rid of my old voice plan and unlimited data.

dadsterflip
Old
Thanks Meter 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstuff_mt View Post
Technically, according to the conditions of the list, we should be fine. One of the conditions is "Have fulfilled their minimum contract term". This is Big Red we're talking about here, though, so you never know. I hope T-Mobile steps up their coverage game in my area soon. I'm sure they will welcome me with open arms when Big Red forces me to get rid of my old voice plan and unlimited data.
I was hoping tmobile picks up where I am.. I'd jump in a heart beat.

AlexGMC
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Default Switch to T-Mobile

I'm switching to T-Mobile soon - I tether a lot so having unlimited is nice and there is more development for T-Mobile/AT&T editions. I would get throttled with unlimited on both networks so why not pay less?

thunderbls
Old
Thanks Meter 70
Better reception more reliable network... More coverage. For me I travel so its nice to know I have data and my kids are able to tether for games and videos. Just my 2 often worth less to others lol.

berndblb
Old
Thanks Meter 788
The OP left out one important little detail: Only the top 5% of data hogs get throttled. Those that use more than 4.7GB/month.
I'm ok with that.