Android 5.0 Lollipop in 3D–EVO 3D, That Is!

It is that time of the year once again. Flowers bloom (or snow falls, depending on which … more

Gaming Console with Lollipop? Ouya Gets an Android TV Port

Android is a very flexible platform, and it can be used on a large variety of … more

Android App Review: Manage Your Connections Automagically – XDA TV

Material Design is all the buzz in the Android world right now. … more

Official TWRP Recovery Lands on Micromax Canvas Magnus

With the recent release of Android One, Micromax and MediaTek released fully buildable … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Unrelevent posts

OP y2kbadbug

12th August 2014, 06:15 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Austin
Thanks Meter: 58

185 posts
More
I notice that ROM teams are boasting their newest versions in the Verizon ROMs forum and it's seriously misleading to the Verizon users. I get that more understanding users know it won't work fully on Verizon until we get an updated firmware, but for the sake of keeping things relevant, unless the ROM version is definite to work on Verizon, don't update the topics or post about it. That is what the main HTC one m8 forums are for.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
12th August 2014, 06:54 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 13

71 posts
I remember someone making a thread a whole back about some of the general ROMs outside of the Verizon section are confirmed to work on our phones. Just need to flash and try your luck. It doesn't seem to be a big deal for me, if it's not fully compatible, just flash back. No need to limit our options.
13th August 2014, 03:57 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 42

183 posts
More
Here's the thing -- the latest ViperOne ROM (both 2.0 and 2.0.1) worked on my phone. Yes there's a little longer boot time, but that's okay in my book to get to Android 4.4.3 and a newer, quicker version of ViperOne ROM. I say, let the devs release them in the VZW forum and we can try if we want to. If people are worried then even rooting their phone is a bad idea. We can always flash back to a previous version.
13th August 2014, 08:23 AM   |  #4  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 39

549 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodyvik

Here's the thing -- the latest ViperOne ROM (both 2.0 and 2.0.1) worked on my phone. Yes there's a little longer boot time, but that's okay in my book to get to Android 4.4.3 and a newer, quicker version of ViperOne ROM. I say, let the devs release them in the VZW forum and we can try if we want to. If people are worried then even rooting their phone is a bad idea. We can always flash back to a previous version.

I second that I will deal with a longer boot time to have a smoother operating rom until verizon finally updates firmware, as I"am on viperone 2.0 and everything seems to work good just a long boot time but I accept that to get the update now.
19th August 2014, 05:39 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Austin
Thanks Meter: 58

185 posts
More
The point I was making is, they still don't have 4.4.3, they are based, but we don't have the firmware yet. I get what you are saying though, thanks for the feedback

23rd August 2014, 11:45 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 0

15 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kbadbug

The point I was making is, they still don't have 4.4.3, they are based, but we don't have the firmware yet. I get what you are saying though, thanks for the feedback

Well I'm with you on this one. Specifically the viper ROM, could have made it a bit more apparent on the download page and not in the fine print saying "if you have verizon you cant get this rom period"
24th August 2014, 10:53 AM   |  #7  
Flag North Carolina
Thanks Meter: 213

890 posts
More
But it sounds like you CAN get the Viper ROM, you just have to deal with long boot times... Or stick with their version based on 4.4.2.

It's really a moot point, I think, because it takes 15-20 minutes to switch to ART. Had I known how long it would take, I would have stuck with Dalvik. I had 281 apps to update and it went on forever. Stupid me did it with the battery at 2%. Plugged in of course, but I didn't get any charging indication, so I wasn't sure. (It was, in fact, charging.)

But beyond that, with any ROM, you're taking a risk. With some, you're accepting compromises. But that's why we do what we do, isn't it? To learn? To experiment? To have fun? To say, "This is why I didn't buy an iPhone"? I'm a conservative flasher now. I just run CleanROM and update it once a month. That's good for me. Scott does good work, and I don't need anything as flashy as Viper. Scott's not porting 4.4.3, he's sticking with 4.4.2 until 4.4.3 is official (maybe until the boot time bug is fixed, I dunno really).

In any case, I don't think anything's irrelevant about ROM posts where the ROM takes a few extra seconds (minutes?) to boot up. Then again, not my call...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread