Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,363 Members 43,475 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Advice and Options

Tip us?
 
HollywoodTate
Old
#1  
HollywoodTate's Avatar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 18
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Huntington
Default [Q] Advice and Options

Hey everyone, just looking for advice mainly.

I just recently bought my M8 as I retired my DNA which I ran ViperDNA for the past couple of years. I am still on a grandfathered unlimited plan, thus the reason for creating a thread. I haven't been in depth with androids in quite a while. I simply rooted and rom'd my DNA, and left things.

A little background - obviously I have the M8 and unlimited data. I also have a macbook pro, and my old windows 7 laptop died out on me. And finally, I am not the most code savvy anymore and wish to keep things simple.

What I am looking for from my new phone is pretty simple. I am perfectly fine with most things stock on it. All I would really like to do is remove the tethering block, and possibly delete a bit of the bloatware that came with it.

From my reading, it looks like I need to root to be able to tether. If I root without flashing a custom rom, am I still able to update when they hit verizon? Will simply rooting my phone give me the options to remove bloatware?

If not, what other options do I have? I am passed the point of wanting to wipe my phone from time to time to update and such. I tend to keep everything on it, and it gets old having to re-personalize it to my liking.

Thanks in advance for any help.
 
rcklesslydriven
Old
#2  
Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 41
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ann Arbor
I would say a good choice is root/unlock and install the Viper ROM for the verizon M8. This ROM will do OTA updates as they come out and does not require you to re-personalize. I have been running this ROM for several months now and have had no issues. Great solid ROM.
 
thunderbls
Old
(Last edited by thunderbls; 7th July 2014 at 02:49 AM.)
#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 75
Posts: 262
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollywoodTate View Post
Hey everyone, just looking for advice mainly.

I just recently bought my M8 as I retired my DNA which I ran ViperDNA for the past couple of years. I am still on a grandfathered unlimited plan, thus the reason for creating a thread. I haven't been in depth with androids in quite a while. I simply rooted and rom'd my DNA, and left things.

A little background - obviously I have the M8 and unlimited data. I also have a macbook pro, and my old windows 7 laptop died out on me. And finally, I am not the most code savvy anymore and wish to keep things simple.

What I am looking for from my new phone is pretty simple. I am perfectly fine with most things stock on it. All I would really like to do is remove the tethering block, and possibly delete a bit of the bloatware that came with it.

From my reading, it looks like I need to root to be able to tether. If I root without flashing a custom rom, am I still able to update when they hit verizon? Will simply rooting my phone give me the options to remove bloatware?

If not, what other options do I have? I am passed the point of wanting to wipe my phone from time to time to update and such. I tend to keep everything on it, and it gets old having to re-personalize it to my liking.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Just root won't stop ota's but do you want to keep root? There are certain apps that you can use from the play store for tethering that say they get around needing the paid service for tethering. I have used them in the past but i like the native tether app my phone didnt seem to get as hot. Honestly never tried any on my m8 rooted and soff since aquirering the phone. If your not interested in flashing want ota and root.. Might want to root and soff.

See that the last post offered viper ROM good ROM allows what you want.
 
HollywoodTate
Old
#4  
HollywoodTate's Avatar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 18
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Huntington
From having had Viper previously, I will say I loved it. But at the same time, there was still a bit of flashing to do and that is not what I am looking for at the moment. As for the apps to use to get my tether working, nothing that I know of will allow wifi tethering without root.

So I guess my question at this time is am I able to just simply root my phone to do all that I have mentioned above without flashing a rom? Are there other steps I need to take to reach my goals? I am fine with the stock rom. I just dislike bloatware, need the wifi tethering, and would also not mind to have the battery saver app that comes stock but is hidden.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.
 
berndblb
Old
#5  
berndblb's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 874
Posts: 2,682
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Well, you can use Weaksauce to root only, the question is if you will keep root through the next OTA update. Nobody will know until you try it....
Just rooting will not allow you uninstall apps on the /system partition. You need to be S-off for that. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but that is my current understanding of S-on on this device......

There is a way to tether without root: it's the paid version of FoxFi. Not the most elegant solution from what I'm reading, but it works.

But you know, I think you would get everything you desire by getting S-off, flashing a custom recovery and then CleanROM. It's strictly debloated, perm-rooted stock. Clean, simple and stable.
And when the next OTA comes out, you can bet that Scott will put out a CleanROM version of it in no time. Why is that harder than taking an OTA?
It just involves downloading a file and flashing it in recovery..
The Following User Says Thank You to berndblb For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
ddgarcia05
Old
#6  
ddgarcia05's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 126
Posts: 2,252
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Edinburg / Mcallen, Texas
I'm curious to see the outcome of the OP. I recently came back to Android from using an iPhone for over a year. I went to the iPhone because I was tired of roming and never being content with the device performance. There was always bugs, updates or new kernel. Now that I'm back I'm getting the root itch again but really want to refrain of tinking with it and going through that downward spiral again. I love the stock look and would like to deploy maybe try a asop rom or two.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
thunderbls
Old
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 75
Posts: 262
Join Date: Sep 2012
I like clean ROM also.... It is kept up-to-date very well... The good stuff worth having in an ota is usually offered by most devs very quickly. I don't know what was needed on your DNA to root and unlock for custom recovery but the m8 process is really quite easy (if you have a PC) lol.

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgarcia05 View Post
I'm curious to see the outcome of the OP. I recently came back to Android from using an iPhone for over a year. I went to the iPhone because I was tired of roming and never being content with the device performance. There was always bugs, updates or new kernel. Now that I'm back I'm getting the root itch again but really want to refrain of tinking with it and going through that downward spiral again. I love the stock look and would like to deploy maybe try a asop rom or two.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Maybe a gpe ROM? Lol so may choices. The problem with to root or not to root is that its an option now but what if an ota patches the exploit allowing the root? Then you don't have an option except to wait for another exploit if you didn't root and soff your device. If you ask me I would rather have the control to make that decision and not be forced into one. You never know when an update includes a patch for known exploit(s). Just my opinion.
 
berndblb
Old
#8  
berndblb's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 874
Posts: 2,682
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgarcia05 View Post
I'm curious to see the outcome of the OP. I recently came back to Android from using an iPhone for over a year. I went to the iPhone because I was tired of roming and never being content with the device performance. There was always bugs, updates or new kernel. Now that I'm back I'm getting the root itch again but really want to refrain of tinking with it and going through that downward spiral again. I love the stock look and would like to deploy maybe try a asop rom or two.
No spiral with CleanROM. Check out the thread. It's pretty boring - which is good! Because there are no bugs (unless introduced by users flashing something on top of the rom), it works just as good as stock, battery is great.... Flash and forget....
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbls View Post
I like clean ROM also.... It is kept up-to-date very well... The good stuff worth having in an ota is usually offered by most devs very quickly. I don't know what was needed on your DNA to root and unlock for custom recovery but the m8 process is really quite easy (if you have a PC) lol.

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------



Maybe a gpe ROM? Lol so may choices. The problem with to root or not to root is that its an option now but what if an ota patches the exploit allowing the root? Then you don't have an option except to wait for another exploit if you didn't root and soff your device. If you ask me I would rather have the control to make that decision and not be forced into one. You never know when an update includes a patch for known exploit(s). Just my opinion.
Exactly right! It seems to be getting harder and harder to find exploits for root, S-off etc. Anybody think it'll get easier with Android L??? I don't.
You can always flash back to stock, but you never know if the next update won't lock it down for months - or longer....
The Following User Says Thank You to berndblb For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
robocuff
Old
#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 82
Posts: 280
Join Date: Jul 2011
Rather than removing the bloat, I'd use something like Titanium Backup to just freeze it. I can't say for sure about this phone but my last phone was a Razr Maxx. With that phone, if any of the bloat was removed, the update would fail. If you just froze the apps, you could always unfreeze them, then run the update.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


CyanogenMod 11 M10 Available for Supported Devices

Summer vacation isover for most students out there, and it’s the time to get back to … more

XDA Forums Added for the First Batch of Android One Devices!

Just yesterday, we talked about the highly anticipated launch of the first batch … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: DonkeyGuard, Don’t Be a Donkey, Control Your Device – XDA Developer TV

Some applications ask for the world … more

Use Facebook Pictures as a LWP with Facebook View

One of the best things that Android has always offeredits users is the ability to tailor … more