Micromax Takes OnePlus to Court! Android Wear Receives Lollipop – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop is available officially for the Moto 360! … more

Google Invites Selected Devs to Buy Project Tango Development Kit

Just about a month ago, the curious Project Tango development kit was … more

YU Yureka: Indian Handset with CyanogenMod

Thesoap opera involving Cyanogen Inc., OnePlus, and Micromax is one of the most talked about … more

Chainfire Turns Your Bootanimation into a Logging Center

Having a nice boot animation certainly adds a little bit of aesthetic polish to your … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Airplane mode and notifications

OP bwhite757

1st September 2014, 02:56 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 13

111 posts
OK, this issue has been driving me nuts. I work in a metal building pretty far away from a Verizon tower, as soon as I walk into the building I have no service on my phone. I just put my phone in airplane mode, then re-enable the WiFi and Bluetooth to save battery. Since I've gotten the M8, I have missed countless hangouts messages, emails, etc... Nothing comes through unless I open up the app on the phone. I've tried different ROM's, and it does it on every one of them (I'm back to stock now). Does anyone else have this problem, its usually after I let my phone go idle for a few minutes and then it's like it stops polling Google's push services.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
1st September 2014, 03:03 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag york, pa
Thanks Meter: 1,416

3,189 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhite757

OK, this issue has been driving me nuts. I work in a metal building pretty far away from a Verizon tower, as soon as I walk into the building I have no service on my phone. I just put my phone in airplane mode, then re-enable the WiFi and Bluetooth to save battery. Since I've gotten the M8, I have missed countless hangouts messages, emails, etc... Nothing comes through unless I open up the app on the phone. I've tried different ROM's, and it does it on every one of them (I'm back to stock now). Does anyone else have this problem, its usually after I let my phone go idle for a few minutes and then it's like it stops polling Google's push services.

Do have WiFi set to turn off when sleeping under WiFi advanced settings ?
1st September 2014, 03:04 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

111 posts
Thanks, but no that was the first thing I checked.

1st September 2014, 03:54 AM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag york, pa

3,189 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Thanks, but no that was the first thing I checked.

Sleep mode under power options? . When you look at battery history during the time it's not working do you see WiFi shut off?
3rd September 2014, 02:28 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

111 posts
Thanks for trying. Yesterday I swapped my Sim over to my Moto X and took it into work, unfortunately for me it looks like the work network is the culprit. Weird but apparently a new router was put in place around the same time I got the HTC M8. Now to try and figure out how to get it back working.
3rd September 2014, 03:25 PM   |  #6  
Recognized Contributor
Flag york, pa

3,189 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Thanks for trying. Yesterday I swapped my Sim over to my Moto X and took it into work, unfortunately for me it looks like the work network is the culprit. Weird but apparently a new router was put in place around the same time I got the HTC M8. Now to try and figure out how to get it back working.

This maybe too?
http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...wifi-drop-fix/
5th September 2014, 01:23 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

111 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dottat

This maybe too?
http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...wifi-drop-fix/

Nope, this appears to be router related. I brought in my router from home, hooked it up to the network, and viola, notifications work just fine. I work at a small business, they just have 1 wireless router for the entire building hooked directly to the cable modem, then from the router to the main network switch (not a complex system at work here). It's a TP-Link router, and I've looked at the configuration and there's nothing that should be blocking the push notifications. Just makes no sense to me. I've been googling for hours, but haven't come up with a fix.
5th September 2014, 06:14 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 87

299 posts
Quote:

Nope, this appears to be router related. I brought in my router from home, hooked it up to the network, and viola, notifications work just fine.

Seems to me that's what the article linked to is saying. That is it router related. Did you click the link toward the end of the article and read the OP in the thread it links to? There's an alternative fix besides checking the settings in the router. Did you try it?
-
The router causing problems in that thread is also a TP-Link router and the OP was able to fix it. Maybe I'm way off base here but in case you didn't see the link toward the bottom of the article, I thought I'd bring your attention to it. Just in case you missed it, here's the link. http://forum.xda-developers.com/andr..._utmk=26971070

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread