Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,462 Members 43,959 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Can someone braindump me on M8 hacking?

Tip us?

TraderJack
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1L3nTShaDoWz View Post
Yeah it's safe, it will be stored in a folder called TWRP/Backups/Phone_Id_Here/ in the storage/emulated/0 folder (in root Explorer).

Also you can change them around to what you like, it doesn't matter.
& glad we could help!
Some additional questions as I get ready to root. I found this thread here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2731893

That seems to indicate that just rooting with SuperSU after S-Off isn't enough to really unlock the system.

It mentions the following:
- System write protection removed
- Unsecured boot.img

Are the above two hacks still required to fully unlock?
Some posts seem to indicate that if I use something like ES Root Explorer I will have no problems modifying /system even without this.
I'm unsure on what the unsecure boot.img would do as well.

I found the following thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2708686

Which seems to indicate some of these changes maybe required...but it was closed months ago and I'm not sure if things have changed since then.

I assume that most custom ROMs have this stuff baked in, but I will likely stay on the Stock ROM for a few months, so do I need it?

S1L3nTShaDoWz
Old
Thanks Meter 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by TraderJack View Post
Some additional questions as I get ready to root. I found this thread here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2731893

That seems to indicate that just rooting with SuperSU after S-Off isn't enough to really unlock the system.

It mentions the following:
- System write protection removed
- Unsecured boot.img

Are the above two hacks still required to fully unlock?
Some posts seem to indicate that if I use something like ES Root Explorer I will have no problems modifying /system even without this.
I'm unsure on what the unsecure boot.img would do as well.

I found the following thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2708686

Which seems to indicate some of these changes maybe required...but it was closed months ago and I'm not sure if things have changed since then.

I assume that most custom ROMs have this stuff baked in, but I will likely stay on the Stock ROM for a few months, so do I need it?
I think that kernel mod is only required if you don't have perm root or are not s-off, may be wrong though. Just do as you were planning and see if everything works fine and you can access /system from within Android, if not then give it a go.
Current devices
-----------------------------------------------------------------
VZW HTC One M8 w ViperROM 1.8.0, CheckM8 2.8GHz kernel & TWRP 2.7.1.0 (S-OFF & SuperCID)
Nexus 7 w Cyanogenmod 11

Shamestick
Old
Thanks Meter 109
If you're looking to stay stock, I would recommend cleanrom. Its extremely stable, near complete stock, but will have all of these little things taken care for you

mdorrett
Old
Thanks Meter 109

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1L3nTShaDoWz View Post
Yeah it's safe, it will be stored in a folder called TWRP/Backups/Phone_Id_Here/ in the storage/emulated/0 folder (in root Explorer).

Also you can change them around to what you like, it doesn't matter.
& glad we could help!
Probably won't be TWRP/Backups as you are using PhilzTouch Recovery but will be in a folder called Backups for sure.