Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,353 Members 40,649 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Horrible reception-- new phone development

Tip us?

serotoninzero
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Phone [Q] Horrible reception-- new phone development

I've started having some horrible issues with my phone connecting to Verizon networks properly. I used to be able to connect to 4G networks at my house and surrounding area with no issue, but now I've been having the worst time getting it to lock. Currently I'm connected to 3G at -99dBm in my household.

I originally was running stock, but fully rooted, S-Off. I've since switched to trying AOKP and now I've settled on Sinless GPe 3.4.7. I have not seen any real difference between them as far as getting a good connection to the network. I started switching ROMs well after I've noticed an issue, and I have not done much of anything to my phone in the last few weeks that I could attribute to the change. I've never dropped the phone or damaged it in any way.

I just recently traveled across the state and would run speedtests next to my wife's iPhone 5c and 19/20 times she'd show full bars with LTE service while I was either on 3G or no service at all. My phone will connect to 4G sometimes though, it's just not that often.

I read that there may be an issue with my SIM card, so I stopped in and had it replaced. The guy seemed very confused about the state of my phone software, so he blamed any issue I was having on the software installed. Regardless I did get a new SIM card installed. It did not seem to help at all. Can anybody help me? I'd hope to not have to go through the hassle of attempting to get the phone replaced!

Bootloader information:
HBoot-3.16.0.0000
Radio-0.89.20.0321

After rebooting my phone, my phone locked to an LTE signal at -112dBm. It does not speed test at over 3Mbps. Testing my wife's iPhone shows her at -100dBm and she was able to pull 30Mbps down.

wtoj34
Old
Thanks Meter 149
There is talk of poor signal reception/speed in gpe threads. Cm based Roms, dunno. Try flashing a sense ROM, do some tests and report back

I recommend clean ROM or any other ROM on Verizon base
If I help any one any where at any time, please let me know by clicking thanks!
Current devices: HTC ONE M8, Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Xoom Former devices: Droid X2, Droid Charge, Note 2,

albertsm
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I just received my M8 yesterday and am having the same issues (both wifi and LTE) running the latest PA. Going to try something with a VZW base and report back.

serotoninzero
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtoj34 View Post
There is talk of poor signal reception/speed in gpe threads. Cm based Roms, dunno. Try flashing a sense ROM, do some tests and report back

I recommend clean ROM or any other ROM on Verizon base
I reloaded my backup of the Stock ROM and I am still seeing the same issues. It seems to connect sometimes but most of the time it will not. It seems like its just not getting a good lock. I am having trouble even using the phone at my house now whereas I've always had great service here. Doing a speed test now, the phone states 3G service, tested with 705 ping, download of 0.17, upload shot up to 58.19 (which obviously isn't true) and then froze while testing and has been here for over three minutes.

aer0zer0
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by serotoninzero View Post
I reloaded my backup of the Stock ROM and I am still seeing the same issues. It seems to connect sometimes but most of the time it will not. It seems like its just not getting a good lock. I am having trouble even using the phone at my house now whereas I've always had great service here. Doing a speed test now, the phone states 3G service, tested with 705 ping, download of 0.17, upload shot up to 58.19 (which obviously isn't true) and then froze while testing and has been here for over three minutes.
I would run the RUU and try again, and just see if something got boogered
Dear lord... please allow this dangerous combination of hair spary, bat slobber, and D.O.T. four automatic transmission fluid to excite my mind, occupy my spirits, and enrage my body, provoking me to kick any man or woman in the back of the head regardless of what he or she has or has not done unto me.

naturecannon
Old
Thanks Meter 369
Confirming as well that the reception isn't the greatest with this phone/radio in the so so service areas.

I live out in the country. Never had good reception with Sprint no matter the phone. Switched to Verizon with an LG G2 and service was fantastic at home for the 7 months I owned it. I moved to the M8 and now phone service is spotty at my house. It's the radio for sure. Wifes verizon moto works great at home as well.

bnsrowe
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I've had the same issue, updated radios, flash back to stock, and everything else. The radio on this phone IMO is terrible, even when it does get 4G I get like 8 mbps down with 4 bars of 4g. Once in a great while i'll get 18 - 20 down with 5 bars of 4g.

etiger13
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I've been experiencing the same things recently as well. It also affects sending SMS messages. I am on stock too (with s-off). Nothing changed on my phone though, it just started dying.

csstamatin
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Never had signal issues. I live out in the boonies too. Signal is strong and switching between 3g and 4g has been smooth. I've been able to download torrents as fast as 5mb/s. Speed test results have been just awesome. As far as signal goes, it's been better than my note 3, DNA, and my wife's droid mini. And this is my second m8. My son has the first and it is the same as mine.

I would look into exchanging them if they don't keep up with other phones. The radio in this phone is actually pretty damn sweet, so if u got a funky one, I'd exchange it. Def try the ruu first, then exchange if that doesn't help.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Tags
connectivity issue, htc one m8, network, verizon