Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,803,273 Members 44,720 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Keeps going into car mode...

Tip us?

sco77
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default Keeps going into car mode...

My M8 for the past week has been entering car mode for no apparent reason. Could it be there is something wrong with the USB port on the phone or something else?

T4rd
Old
Thanks Meter 35
It's the charger/cable you're using. My M8 does it as well with a cable (that's a power-only cable, no data pins) I use to charge my phone from my PC with. I've had 4 replacement M8s (all for separate hardware issues) and they all did the same thing on the same cable. It hasn't done it with any of the other several chargers I use at home. But when it does to it on that one cable, it only seems to do it when I try to use any demanding apps/games while plugged in. It won't do it if I'm just poking around the launcher or browser.
Sent from hardware running software.

sco77
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Mine is happening when not plugged in also.

T4rd
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by sco77 View Post
Mine is happening when not plugged in also.
Ahh, well then yeah, I would have to say there's definitely some hardware issue with your USB port then.

sco77
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Yup, my phone is screwed its stuck in car mode, tried everything. Is there a way to edit a system file to completely disable it? Replacing phone is not an option for me.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app
Verizon HTC M8 (Running GPE 4.4.4)

T4rd
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Yup, my phone is screwed its stuck in car mode, tried everything. Is there a way to edit a system file to completely disable it? Replacing phone is not an option for me.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app
I've tried disabling/freezing anything with the word "car" in it in Titanium Backup to no avail on my M8, it still does it with that same cable. When it does it and the "Car Mode Enabled" notification shows up in the notification shade, I can long-press it and go to app info, where it takes me to "Android System", so it appears to have hooks deep into the Android OS and something you can't really disable. This Xposed module may have some options to disable it or at least keep it from being so invasive if you're rooted.

But I guarantee you that you can get the phone replaced under warranty, even if you have it S-Off'd/unlocked, because I have done it. Unless your phone is physically damaged..? But even then, they may not charge to repair the USB port or motherboard if that's the only issue. Can't hurt to ask HTC.

sco77
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
I seem to have "fixed" it by plugging it in about 20-30 times and violently yanking out the cable... Not sure how long this fix will last since looking into the port I seen nothing wrong with any of the pins or any contaminants in there, also high pressure air didn't work.

darienms1986
Old
Thanks Meter 156
Quote:
I seem to have "fixed" it by plugging it in about 20-30 times and violently yanking out the cable... Not sure how long this fix will last since looking into the port I seen nothing wrong with any of the pins or any contaminants in there, also high pressure air didn't work.
I had exact same issue. It is debris stuck in the port. Get some computer duster or air compressor and it will clear it up