ZArchive Manages Your File Archives

Today smartphones are quite powerful devices that can handle multiple processes at once. In fact, some of … more

Regain Double Tap to Wake Functionality on the Nexus 6

A few months ago, Google announced its newest flagship device, the Nexus 6, alongside … more

Clean Your Recent Apps – XDA Xposed Tuesday

In this day and age, you have quite a few apps installed and running on your Android … more

Android Studio Reaches Release Candidate Status

Android app developers have a few options when comes to Android IDEs. One of the most … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Keeps going into car mode...

OP sco77

27th August 2014, 05:41 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4

29 posts
More
My M8 for the past week has been entering car mode for no apparent reason. Could it be there is something wrong with the USB port on the phone or something else?
27th August 2014, 05:51 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 35

237 posts
More
It's the charger/cable you're using. My M8 does it as well with a cable (that's a power-only cable, no data pins) I use to charge my phone from my PC with. I've had 4 replacement M8s (all for separate hardware issues) and they all did the same thing on the same cable. It hasn't done it with any of the other several chargers I use at home. But when it does to it on that one cable, it only seems to do it when I try to use any demanding apps/games while plugged in. It won't do it if I'm just poking around the launcher or browser.
27th August 2014, 06:34 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

29 posts
More
Mine is happening when not plugged in also.
27th August 2014, 06:47 PM   |  #4  

237 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sco77

Mine is happening when not plugged in also.

Ahh, well then yeah, I would have to say there's definitely some hardware issue with your USB port then.
28th August 2014, 07:42 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

29 posts
More
Yup, my phone is screwed its stuck in car mode, tried everything. Is there a way to edit a system file to completely disable it? Replacing phone is not an option for me.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app
29th August 2014, 12:30 AM   |  #6  

237 posts
More
Quote:

Yup, my phone is screwed its stuck in car mode, tried everything. Is there a way to edit a system file to completely disable it? Replacing phone is not an option for me.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

I've tried disabling/freezing anything with the word "car" in it in Titanium Backup to no avail on my M8, it still does it with that same cable. When it does it and the "Car Mode Enabled" notification shows up in the notification shade, I can long-press it and go to app info, where it takes me to "Android System", so it appears to have hooks deep into the Android OS and something you can't really disable. This Xposed module may have some options to disable it or at least keep it from being so invasive if you're rooted.

But I guarantee you that you can get the phone replaced under warranty, even if you have it S-Off'd/unlocked, because I have done it. Unless your phone is physically damaged..? But even then, they may not charge to repair the USB port or motherboard if that's the only issue. Can't hurt to ask HTC.
29th August 2014, 05:41 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

29 posts
More
I seem to have "fixed" it by plugging it in about 20-30 times and violently yanking out the cable... Not sure how long this fix will last since looking into the port I seen nothing wrong with any of the pins or any contaminants in there, also high pressure air didn't work.
1st September 2014, 05:37 AM   |  #8  
Flag Minnesota
Thanks Meter: 171

488 posts
More
Quote:

I seem to have "fixed" it by plugging it in about 20-30 times and violently yanking out the cable... Not sure how long this fix will last since looking into the port I seen nothing wrong with any of the pins or any contaminants in there, also high pressure air didn't work.

I had exact same issue. It is debris stuck in the port. Get some computer duster or air compressor and it will clear it up
2nd November 2014, 09:24 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Thumbs up Nice
Hey you guys need to go to app manager then swipe to (all) under that you should disable dock mode and car mode then reboot. Should fix problem for live. Some magnets and other objects will toy with the sensors in your phone expecially the ones by the USB connector
16th November 2014, 12:37 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
I've been having this problem too. The Car app and Daydream would randomly open and close. I've just performed a hard reset and it appears to have fixed the problem.

----------UPDATE 3 DAYS LATER.....

So a hard reset has not fixed this. The car app did not open for a couple of days but I have had the loud speaker turning on every time I answer a call. I've just used my earphones with the phone for the first time since I performed the hard reset and now the car app is opening again. I've tried to clean out the 3.5mm socket but its not making a difference. It seems strange that the hard reset did kind of fix it until the earphone socket was used. Now I really don't know if it's a hardware or software issue!
Last edited by Debaser84; 19th November 2014 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Update on previous post

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread