XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Coming from galaxy s5. Thinking of switching to m8 some questions

Tip us?

cell128
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 140
Default Coming from galaxy s5. Thinking of switching to m8 some questions

Had my second s5 for 10 days now and having same slow data issue/network disconnects. How is the m8 as far as can I buy one and root and unlock it even if it might be a newer firmware now? I see the development is a whole lot better here than the s5. Or I might just fix my broken s4 and go back to that. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

lahegry
Old
Thanks Meter 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by cell128 View Post
Had my second s5 for 10 days now and having same slow data issue/network disconnects. How is the m8 as far as can I buy one and root and unlock it even if it might be a newer firmware now? I see the development is a whole lot better here than the s5. Or I might just fix my broken s4 and go back to that. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Coming from an s5 myself, I gotta say I love the m8. No slow data or wonky disconnects. And it's easy as pie to root, if you're willing to pay for sunshine😉
Currently has LG Intuition
Speak Softly And Carry A Cool Phone

camf3xu
Old
Thanks Meter 12
I came from a galaxy to the m8 and have no complaints. The m8 seems much sturdier than my galaxy. I love that the screeen doesn't go all the way to the corner, as I've had some fractures to my screen in the past from corner impacts with my galaxy. Got my phone about a month ago so I would assume it's the newest model still. I temp rooted with weaksauce, ran firewater with adb and achieved root and s-off. Some people are having problems with firewater though, in which case you have to buy sunshine for $25 and will achieve the same thing.

Hope this helps with your decision

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Free mobile app

bill3508
Old
Thanks Meter 33
I came from the S3. Was running CM11 and the phone still great. It was hard to give up really. I've had my M8 for a couple weeks now and I love it. Had it unlocked and s-off with Sunshine the second day. Running Sinless ROM now. Its a great phone, blazing fast and actually the camera is pretty decent. Being one a GPE ROM I thought that the Google camera was garbage but with fv5 camera is great. I would highly recommend it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Dark Reality
Old
Thanks Meter 201
Like others have said, plan to pay $25 for SunShine. If you can S-OFF with the free tools, that's great (I was able to) but you just might have to pay. Consider that before jumping. S5 can be rooted for free with TowelRoot, then you can flash TWRP/CWM and be on your way.

The big thing about coming from any Samsung to anything else is you will automatically get better signal. Samsung goes to the dollar store for their radios/modems, and they buy refurbished to boot. (Not literally, but it seems like it.) I came from the S3 on a different carrier. Night. And. Day. I went from having to put my phone in the kitchen windowsill to make or receive calls. Now I can make or receive calls in bed. Part of that is Verizon's network, as opposed to the other one... but Samsung radio quality (or rather the lack thereof) is well documented. The S5 is newer, but the S3 was widely considered the best smartphone of all time for a good little while there.

To its credit, the S3 seemed to have better ROM compatibility. Except when it didn't. Most of the time it was just fine running AOSP-based firmware. Then it would act up. "Cannot connect to camera." Reboot. Get a few more pictures, then it happens again. Reboot. And it would always do it at birthday parties when I really needed a dependable camera. But for the most part it was golden. The One M8? Just doesn't feel right using anything but Sense. I don't use Blinkfeed and I think I'm about to replace their locker with WidgetLocker, and I wish I could replace their quick settings toggles (I really just want flashlight and screen off in there), but the ROM itself (well, CleanROM) is rock solid. It's no longer like, "My phone is okay, but _____," it's more like, "I have the best smartphone on the market."

Have you ever seen an ad for a smartphone, looked at yours and said, "Gee, I wish I had THAT phone?" Or maybe not an ad, maybe a spy show, something like 24? When the latest season of 24 started, I had my Galaxy S3, and they're up there rocking Galaxy S5, iPhone 5S, and I forget what else... I think it was a Windows Phone 8.1 model... and it's like, "Okay, my phone's 2 years old, of course the spies on 24 have better phones." But then I got my One M8, and it's like, "Wow... I have a better phone than Chloe O'Brian, or any of the CIA/Secret Service people... Nobody on this show has a better phone than I do." It's a good feeling, to see someone rocking an awesome phone on TV, and to be able to think, "Mine's better." Or maybe it's just me. And I'm usually not like that.
HTC One M8 / Verizon / CleanROM

aer0zer0
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Reality View Post
Like others have said, plan to pay $25 for SunShine. If you can S-OFF with the free tools, that's great (I was able to) but you just might have to pay. Consider that before jumping. S5 can be rooted for free with TowelRoot, then you can flash TWRP/CWM and be on your way.

The big thing about coming from any Samsung to anything else is you will automatically get better signal. Samsung goes to the dollar store for their radios/modems, and they buy refurbished to boot. (Not literally, but it seems like it.) I came from the S3 on a different carrier. Night. And. Day. I went from having to put my phone in the kitchen windowsill to make or receive calls. Now I can make or receive calls in bed. Part of that is Verizon's network, as opposed to the other one... but Samsung radio quality (or rather the lack thereof) is well documented. The S5 is newer, but the S3 was widely considered the best smartphone of all time for a good little while there.

To its credit, the S3 seemed to have better ROM compatibility. Except when it didn't. Most of the time it was just fine running AOSP-based firmware. Then it would act up. "Cannot connect to camera." Reboot. Get a few more pictures, then it happens again. Reboot. And it would always do it at birthday parties when I really needed a dependable camera. But for the most part it was golden. The One M8? Just doesn't feel right using anything but Sense. I don't use Blinkfeed and I think I'm about to replace their locker with WidgetLocker, and I wish I could replace their quick settings toggles (I really just want flashlight and screen off in there), but the ROM itself (well, CleanROM) is rock solid. It's no longer like, "My phone is okay, but _____," it's more like, "I have the best smartphone on the market."

Have you ever seen an ad for a smartphone, looked at yours and said, "Gee, I wish I had THAT phone?" Or maybe not an ad, maybe a spy show, something like 24? When the latest season of 24 started, I had my Galaxy S3, and they're up there rocking Galaxy S5, iPhone 5S, and I forget what else... I think it was a Windows Phone 8.1 model... and it's like, "Okay, my phone's 2 years old, of course the spies on 24 have better phones." But then I got my One M8, and it's like, "Wow... I have a better phone than Chloe O'Brian, or any of the CIA/Secret Service people... Nobody on this show has a better phone than I do." It's a good feeling, to see someone rocking an awesome phone on TV, and to be able to think, "Mine's better." Or maybe it's just me. And I'm usually not like that.
There is a zip file that will add the flashlight and other tiles here somewhere
Dear lord... please allow this dangerous combination of hair spary, bat slobber, and D.O.T. four automatic transmission fluid to excite my mind, occupy my spirits, and enrage my body, provoking me to kick any man or woman in the back of the head regardless of what he or she has or has not done unto me.

sfobrien
Old
Thanks Meter 283
Came from the S3. It was a great phone but after switching to the M8 don't miss my S3 or Sammy and their locked down crap anymore.
Steve