Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Backing up my data?

OP letsmoshjosh

22nd July 2014, 07:30 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Little Rock
Thanks Meter: 0
 
2 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2014
More
I'm so extremely new to this forum (and any forum, for that matter) that I just have an overload of questions. I've taken the time to read some stickies for noobs and that you should always read and search before posting but I am impatient (I tried and failed).

I recently got a gorgeous, red htc one m8 from Verizon. This phone is bomb, and a total step up from my previous galaxy s3, but now I really want to root for the first time and see where it can take me.

I'd like to backup my phone before following the instructions to root, and the resources I've gotten don't seem promising and I was really just wanting to know what would be best to save EVERYTHING from multimedia to my somewhat custom settings. (?)

Please don't hate me. I'm so new. If I ever get to the point of rooting this thing are there any personal recommendations on where to begin after I've rooted (or threads that already have that stuff)?
22nd July 2014, 07:38 AM   |  #2  
wtoj34's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag San Antonio, TX
Thanks Meter: 156
 
636 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
More
The rooting process (including soff) wipes no data. After you get root, you can install an app like titani backup or helium backup to backup individual data. You also want to do a nandroid backup in recovery the second you install a custom recovery, so you have a cushion to fall in in a bad situation
The Following User Says Thank You to wtoj34 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd July 2014, 07:48 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Flag Little Rock
Thanks Meter: 0
 
2 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtoj34

The rooting process (including soff) wipes no data. After you get root, you can install an app like titani backup or helium backup to backup individual data. You also want to do a nandroid backup in recovery the second you install a custom recovery, so you have a cushion to fall in in a bad situation

Thank you!
Now I've just got to google nandroid backup and custom recovery. These are honestly my baby steps with this, should I even root without knowing all this stuff or will it just get easier?
22nd July 2014, 02:25 PM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Washington D.C.
Thanks Meter: 48
 
159 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsmoshjosh

Now I've just got to google nandroid backup and custom recovery. These are honestly my baby steps with this, should I even root without knowing all this stuff or will it just get easier?

I would say you need to read read read. The s-off procedures for either firewater our sunshine are damn near idiot proof so there's little to no risk of damaging things there. However, once you have the ability to flash things in a custom recovery the risk goes way up. As long as you're not flashing unverified experimental files or accidentally flashing files for a different model then today's recoveries make it pretty easy. Also, make a nandroid before you change just about anything through recovery. Happy flashing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cntryby429 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd July 2014, 09:36 PM   |  #5  
illstaygold13's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
46 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2011
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntryby429

I would say you need to read read read. The s-off procedures for either firewater our sunshine are damn near idiot proof so there's little to no risk of damaging things there. However, once you have the ability to flash things in a custom recovery the risk goes way up. As long as you're not flashing unverified experimental files or accidentally flashing files for a different model then today's recoveries make it pretty easy. Also, make a nandroid before you change just about anything through recovery. Happy flashing.

All of the above are true. Please revisit the thread if you have any issues setting up ADB on your machine before you attempt firewater (S-OFF). The big thing for me was making sure I got everything installed properly before I flashed. Once you do the root process be it Samsung, HTC, et al... you will find it is remarkably easy.

If you're looking for a custom ROM, be sure to stick to the Verizon HTC One M8 forums only unless you're directed there by a thread. Before you flash anything at all, just make sure you're solid on the process. Many times, there are awesome people who take the time to make a video about the process from start to end. Those will probably enormously useful for you on your first foray.

Again, ask around and read up! As cntryby429 said, read as much as you possibly can. The truth is, the devs do far more work than we could ever imagine as far as root goes.

Cheers!
24th July 2014, 04:57 AM   |  #6  
berndblb's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 1,061
 
3,194 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsmoshjosh

I'm so extremely new to this forum (and any forum, for that matter) that I just have an overload of questions. I've taken the time to read some stickies for noobs and that you should always read and search before posting but I am impatient (I tried and failed).

I recently got a gorgeous, red htc one m8 from Verizon. This phone is bomb, and a total step up from my previous galaxy s3, but now I really want to root for the first time and see where it can take me.

I'd like to backup my phone before following the instructions to root, and the resources I've gotten don't seem promising and I was really just wanting to know what would be best to save EVERYTHING from multimedia to my somewhat custom settings. (?)

Please don't hate me. I'm so new. If I ever get to the point of rooting this thing are there any personal recommendations on where to begin after I've rooted (or threads that already have that stuff)?

I've been where you are! It's a little daunting finding all the information and getting it sorted.
You will have to do your own reading and do lot of it, but here's a little summary to get you pointed in the right direction.

The only known root method for the M8 is WEAKSAUCE. It provides temp root, meaning you loose root with each reboot but the app will re-root the phone automatically about 30 sec after booting. Servicable but not very elegant.
Root with Weaksauce is a pre-requisite to everything below.

If you want permanent root and/or run a custom rom on this phone you have to S-off, unlock the bootloader and flash a custom recovery (in that order).

For S-off and bootloader unlock (accomplished at the same time) there are two methods:
FIREWATER: free, but does not work on all M8s. Try it - it'll either work or fail. Follow the instructions on the Firewater website to the letter
SUNSHINE: from the same devs that made Firewater, guaranteed to work on all M8s and it'll cost you $25. Well worth it in my opinion.

Once you have S-off and an unlocked bootloader you can install a custom recovery like TWRP or CWM (I recommend the former). Find instructions on the respective websites.

Once you have the custom recovery installed, you can
- flash SuperSU for permanent root
- make a nandroid (total system backup or image) of your stock rom or any rom you have currently installed
- flash a custom rom

This should get you started. Read everything three times, ask twice, flash once.


Edit: Could you do me a favor? Change the title of your thread to something like: Step-by-Step instructions for rooting/roming the M8?
It would make it easier to find for users in a similar situation.
Last edited by berndblb; 24th July 2014 at 05:22 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to berndblb For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes