Best AOSP solution (so far)

13th June 2014, 08:50 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

10 posts
I'd like to discuss and compare the different AOSP solutions currently available. From what I can see, GPE is the only AOSP rom with a fully functional camera (dual lens) and other HTC features (dot view). However, GPE has the roaming issue (which is somewhat minor, but I'm really OCD about having my roms be 100% stable if I'm going to put all the work into making my daily driver).

I know there are LiquidSmooth, Vanir, CM etc... but from what I can gather these do not have a fully functional camera (dual lens) and are missing some fundamental things or are not completely stable (encryption? other minor issues).

Is there a fully operational, bulletproof daily driver setup as AOSP? I use my phone for both work and personal use. I have a lot of mission-critical things I do for work (remote meetings, etc), so little nitpicky things like "no data while on call" are really not acceptable.

For now, I am using CleanROM and it is amazing/stable and I am very happy with it. However, I am always going to be an AOSP lover and would like to return to using it as my daily driver.

I realize all of this info is out there, but it would be nice to have an ongoing discussion about different people's experiences and maybe give me enough confidence to go all-in on one of the AOSP options available.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Also, if there are any other threads that have a similar discussion please link, I could not find any. THANKS!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to emjayoh For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th June 2014, 11:08 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 26

631 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by emjayoh

I'd like to discuss and compare the different AOSP solutions currently available. From what I can see, GPE is the only AOSP rom with a fully functional camera (dual lens) and other HTC features (dot view). However, GPE has the roaming issue (which is somewhat minor, but I'm really OCD about having my roms be 100% stable if I'm going to put all the work into making my daily driver).

I know there are LiquidSmooth, Vanir, CM etc... but from what I can gather these do not have a fully functional camera (dual lens) and are missing some fundamental things or are not completely stable (encryption? other minor issues).

Is there a fully operational, bulletproof daily driver setup as AOSP? I use my phone for both work and personal use. I have a lot of mission-critical things I do for work (remote meetings, etc), so little nitpicky things like "no data while on call" are really not acceptable.

For now, I am using CleanROM and it is amazing/stable and I am very happy with it. However, I am always going to be an AOSP lover and would like to return to using it as my daily driver.

I realize all of this info is out there, but it would be nice to have an ongoing discussion about different people's experiences and maybe give me enough confidence to go all-in on one of the AOSP options available.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Also, if there are any other threads that have a similar discussion please link, I could not find any. THANKS!!!!

first.

also same question.
richii0207
14th June 2014, 12:09 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 0

n/a posts
None at this moment.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Free mobile app
14th June 2014, 12:42 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

10 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richii0207

None at this moment.

Bummer. Well, hopefully others can share any insight as to which ROM is closest or when one is expected to be daily-driver ready.
14th June 2014, 03:44 AM   |  #5  
Flag Plainfield
Thanks Meter: 628

2,041 posts
More
Well LiquidSmooth squashed the encryption bug and most others. I'm not sure the fault in LiquidSmooth except it won't use the dual lens. But it never will and I personally could care less. It's gimmicky at best. GPE is the best bet for you. The roaming thing is fixed in that it no longer shows the R. I can't find a flaw in GPE.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to PsiPhiDan For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th June 2014, 03:52 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

10 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsiPhiDan

Well LiquidSmooth squashed the encryption bug and most others. I'm not sure the fault in LiquidSmooth except it won't use the dual lens. But it never will and I personally could care less. It's gimmicky at best. GPE is the best bet for you. The roaming thing is fixed in that it no longer shows the R. I can't find a flaw in GPE.

Thank you. Liquid smooth sounded great but I wasn't sure...

Pardon my ignorance... but does the dual lens do anything spectacular?
14th June 2014, 05:23 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 123

481 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsiPhiDan

The roaming issue isn't fixed yet. It has just been modified to say that you aren't roaming, the phone still thinks that it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjayoh

Thank you. Liquid smooth sounded great but I wasn't sure...

Pardon my ignorance... but does the dual lens do anything spectacular?

If you aren't worried about adding some after affects to your photos then no, It's used for depth.
14th June 2014, 01:06 PM   |  #8  
Flag To Hell and Back
Thanks Meter: 328

888 posts
More
I have been running 6/11 GPE and if you want to get away from Sense, it is currently the most stable and everything works including the duo cameras. They know how to fix the "roaming" issue but the dev needs to modify multiple files. They have corrected the displays to show LTE but you still must enable data roaming at this time. Other then that, GPE has been rock solid for me.

Did CM/AOSP devs figure out why WiFi would not stick for many of us? That is what made me make the move to GPE.
richii0207
14th June 2014, 03:38 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 0

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike02z

I have been running 6/11 GPE and if you want to get away from Sense, it is currently the most stable and everything works including the duo cameras. They know how to fix the "roaming" issue but the dev needs to modify multiple files. They have corrected the displays to show LTE but you still must enable data roaming at this time. Other then that, GPE has been rock solid for me.

Did CM/AOSP devs figure out why WiFi would not stick for many of us? That is what made me make the move to GPE.

Roaming issue is significant. If you accidentally drive to a place where you're on roaming, you're screwed big time.

14th June 2014, 04:08 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 123

481 posts
More
Supposedly there was a wifi fix recently. I haven't had too many issues with it after some of the earlier builds or using different kernels.

Sent from my One M8 using XDA Free mobile app

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread