Help with rooting my phone, thanks

Search This thread

Boltz111

Sep 2, 2015
Hi, I have an HTC One M8 on 5.0.1 and I have little knowledge with rooting. I want to root my phone because there are some apps I want to use that are only capable of being used if my phone is rooted. I've tried Kingo root and it doesn't work on my phone so I was wondering if someone can give me instructions and download links so I can root my phone. If you can it would be much appreciated, thanks.

andybones

Retired Forum Moderator / Inactive RD
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
Hi, I have an HTC One M8 on 5.0.1 and I have little knowledge with rooting. I want to root my phone because there are some apps I want to use that are only capable of being used if my phone is rooted. I've tried Kingo root and it doesn't work on my phone so I was wondering if someone can give me instructions and download links so I can root my phone. If you can it would be much appreciated, thanks.

You have 2 options at the moment.
1) Ship device to one of the many great people with a Java Card/XTC2 Clip - Look at the OP of this thread to see where the people are located.

2) With some time and luck - King Root, which has been proven to work for a number of M8 users.
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=61920423&postcount=3652
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=62161028&postcount=47

Koblek

May 4, 2010
I was able to get S-Off using the KingRoot and Sunshine method. Now what? Although I did get root long enough to get S-off, I lose it after each time I get temp root with the KingRoot app again. KingRoot will say that I have root, but I can't get SuperSU to install.
I am doing a factory reset now and will try to use KingRoot to get temp root, then install SuperSU. Will I then be able to install TWRP after SuperSU is installed correctly?

andybones

Retired Forum Moderator / Inactive RD
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
I was able to get S-Off using the KingRoot and Sunshine method. Now what? Although I did get root long enough to get S-off, I lose it after each time I get temp root with the KingRoot app again. KingRoot will say that I have root, but I can't get SuperSU to install.
I am doing a factory reset now and will try to use KingRoot to get temp root, then install SuperSU. Will I then be able to install TWRP after SuperSU is installed correctly?

If you are S-OFF, then I would flash a custom recovery and then a custom ROM (if you want)
or flash superSU in the custom recovery if you just want root.

Once S-OFF you are in full control of your device, so do some reading about it as you can end up with an expensive paperweight easily if you don't know what you're doing.

Gurm

Jun 15, 2007
Boston
dexter0218, I think it would be BIG BIG news here if there were a one-click root solution for the newest M8. 5.01 phones aren't rootable easily.

boltz111, no need to fiddle with SuperSU. Now that you are S-Off, make sure you have ADB and get the latest TWRP for the M8. Drop to your ADP shell and do:

adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery twrp.zip

(sub in the name of your zip)

That's it. Then:

- Power down
- Power up in bootloader (hold down vol)
- Go to recovery

You have to go to recovery before booting or else the rom will overwrite the recovery.

Once you're in TWRP, you can load up SuperSU from a .zip and it will do its thing.

AlPoo

Oct 3, 2012
Or flash a rooted ruu from fastboot, loads you back to stock but with perm root, never had an issue