Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,901 Members 51,865 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Phone lag when battery is low

Tip us?
 
koolaid159357
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 4
Join Date: Dec 2012
Default [Q] Phone lag when battery is low

Has anyone else notice that their M8 is noticeably less responsive when the battery gets low (usually under 15%)? I am aware that the Verizon model does not have the extreme power saving mode feature; however, I noticed something funny. When the battery is low and I go into developer options to turn on high performance mode, it lets me know that I cannot due to power saver being on (see screenshot). When the phone's battery is not low, I do not see this message and I can enable high performance mode. My guess is that the phone is entering some sort of power saving mode automatically when the battery gets low because I notice that it lasts quite long on low battery and is less snappy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-08-15-23-27-57.png
Views:	63
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	2910704   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-08-16-10-44-09.png
Views:	57
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	2910705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-08-22-10-14-37.png
Views:	57
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	2910706  
 
bill3508
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 30
Posts: 287
Join Date: May 2011
Fast start to finish here. But I'm running custom so.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
 
koolaid159357
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 4
Join Date: Dec 2012
Can anyone else on stock replicate this issue or did I just get a defective M8? Thanks!
 
runandhide05
Old
(Last edited by runandhide05; 5th September 2014 at 10:33 AM.)
#4  
runandhide05's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,439
Posts: 2,783
Join Date: Apr 2011

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaid159357 View Post
Can anyone else on stock replicate this issue or did I just get a defective M8? Thanks!
It honestly sounds like power saving mode is kicking in. Which does at 15% on stock if power saving mode is enabled ( not extreme power saving mode just the standard one)
If something weird is going on and it is not providing you with a notification that it is what's happening, next time it happens look at /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/scaling_max_freq if it's at 2265600 then it's not in power saving mode, however if it's at 1190400 then power saver is on. Other signs of power saving mode would "normally" be
Display brightness reduced
Cpu reduced speeds
Vibration feedback turned off
*data connection put to sleep when screen off

Edit:
Turned my power saving mode on and I also can not turn on high performance mode. So I bet that is EXACTLY what's going on.

last edit,
if you have root you can launch the power saving settings ( even tho the option is not there under the power sub menu vzw left all the code in)
to do this from terminal emulator at # am start -a android.intent.action.MAIN -n com.htc.htcpowermanager/com.htc.htcpowermanager.powersaver.PowerSaverActiv ity
this will launch the settings for power saving mode, and from here you can see if it is set to on, if so just turn it back off.

sent from space
 
koolaid159357
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 4
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by runandhide05 View Post
It honestly sounds like power saving mode is kicking in. Which does at 15% on stock if power saving mode is enabled ( not extreme power saving mode just the standard one)
If something weird is going on and it is not providing you with a notification that it is what's happening, next time it happens look at /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/scaling_max_freq if it's at 2265600 then it's not in power saving mode, however if it's at 1190400 then power saver is on. Other signs of power saving mode would "normally" be
Display brightness reduced
Cpu reduced speeds
Vibration feedback turned off
*data connection put to sleep when screen off

Edit:
Turned my power saving mode on and I also can not turn on high performance mode. So I bet that is EXACTLY what's going on.

last edit,
if you have root you can launch the power saving settings ( even tho the option is not there under the power sub menu vzw left all the code in)
to do this from terminal emulator at # am start -a android.intent.action.MAIN -n com.htc.htcpowermanager/com.htc.htcpowermanager.powersaver.PowerSaverActiv ity
this will launch the settings for power saving mode, and from here you can see if it is set to on, if so just turn it back off.

sent from space
Thanks for the reply, I agree with you on that one, I'm pretty sure power saving mode is being turned on somehow. I'm not rooted and on stock, so I don't have a toggle for power saver mode. Any idea how it could have turned itself on? Aside from rooting, is there anything short of a factory reset that I can do to get rid of it?
 
runandhide05
Old
(Last edited by runandhide05; 6th September 2014 at 10:16 PM.)
#6  
runandhide05's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,439
Posts: 2,783
Join Date: Apr 2011

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaid159357 View Post
Thanks for the reply, I agree with you on that one, I'm pretty sure power saving mode is being turned on somehow. I'm not rooted and on stock, so I don't have a toggle for power saver mode. Any idea how it could have turned itself on? Aside from rooting, is there anything short of a factory reset that I can do to get rid of it?
Well I would first ask if any of the things I said happen when you phone goes below 15% such as
Display brightness reduced
Cpu reduced speeds
Vibration feedback turned off
*data connection put to sleep when screen off
Some of these you can check without root. Like the screen gets dim or the vibration turns off. If so then let me know.
Theoretically a factory reset would clear it. However you could try to clear data from the settings app.
sent from space
 
bakemcbride21
Old
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 99
Posts: 457
Join Date: Sep 2009
+1 on Power Save coming on.....I am on Viper so I see it is turned on at 15% with the quick settings, so I tap it to turn it off (which I know there isn't a stock equivalent)....but when it is on...the phone slows like a turd.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Jair Player with a Major Update–Here’s What’s New!

Back in May, we talked a bit aboutJair Player, a nice looking music … more

Paid Android App Developers Will Soon Have to Provide Physical Address

Google has now changed its policies regarding paid app developers. … more

Windows Developers Rejoice! Dev Program’s $99 Yearly Fee is No More!

Microsoft rule in the mobile market, much like the giant dinosaurs … more