XDA Xposed Tuesday: XHangouts Will Improve Your Hangouts

Ever since Google started supporting text messaging in Hangouts many people have … more

Shattered Screen? Turn Your Broken Device into a Complete Media Center!

A cracked screen usually means you’ll have to spend a hefty … more

Gmail 5.0: Material Design and Multiple Account Support

Google started to materialize many of its applications right after announcing the … more

Some of Our Favorite Features in Android 5.0 Lollipop

Android 5.0 Lollipop is the latest major revision to Google’s mobile operating … more

Please help I am almost there!!

OP swatcop1

23rd July 2014, 11:53 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 25

595 posts
Background
Use to own several HTCs and did the root thing and messed around with different kennels, roms, tweaks etc. Problem is I switched to iphone several years ago and now I am back with a brand new HTC M8. I am rooted with weaksause and Soff with sunshine ($25.00). Now I have been reading for three days and stuck. This ADB is totally new to me and the rooting process has change since i did it several years ago so now I am a noob.

This is where Im at. S-OFF and rooted with weaksauce. I loaded ADB. When I type in the command "adb version" it acknowledges the version. When I type in "adb devices" none are listed. My reasearch tells me I need to install drivers.

Can somebody walk me through installing the drivers into ADB and which ones are the right ones? I watched several vids but they are not clear and skip steps etc.. I need simple layman terms......I am trying to flash one of the recovery program so I can start tweaking but mannnnn I can not move forward. I am so close. So I guess what I am trying to do is install drivers to my computer so it can communicate with my phone correct?

Thanks
for any help
24th July 2014, 02:07 AM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member

595 posts
ok I got it to communicate. My device is listed when I type command adb devices. So now I need to figure out how to flash TWRP. Any really good instruction out there, I am sure there is....
24th July 2014, 03:06 AM   |  #3  
Flag Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 929

2,837 posts
More
Download the TWRP 2.7.0.2 img from the Teamwin website, rename the file to something easy like "twrp2702.img" and place that file into your adb/fastboot folder.
Boot the phone into the bootloader (make sure you first disable Fast Boot in Settings > Power)
Fast Boot is not to be confused with fastboot LOL
The former is a HTC feature to speed up boot time, the latter a protocol to communicate between PC and phone.
Open a command prompt from your fastboot/adb folder.
Hopefully you also have the fastboot drivers installed, try it with
Code:
fastboot devices
If you get the alpha numeric string, you're good to go
Next
Code:
fastboot flash recovery twrp2702.img
Once that is done
Code:
fastboot reboot
Uninstall Weaksauce if not done already.
Then download the flashable SuperSU zip and flash it in TWRP to gain permanent root.
The Following User Says Thank You to berndblb For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th July 2014, 03:53 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

595 posts
Ok GOT IT!!!!
One more question, I am in TWAP program now, what to I need to do to get perm. root? I know to uninstall weaksauce. Is there anything else I need to do while opening it for the first time before I start flashing tweaks? Because on the sunshine site it say after you get S Off properly root you device?

As I was exiting the program it said your device is not rooted and to install SuperSu in which I did?

When I went into SuperSu loader in apps it said it needed to be updated from play store and I hit play and it went through TWRP and loaded and shut phone off. I powered it.

I would assume I am completely rooted at this point?
Last edited by swatcop1; 24th July 2014 at 04:09 AM.
24th July 2014, 05:03 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

595 posts
Looks like I finally achieved it! After going through the steps I am rooted. I downloaded SU Root checker and it verified that I am rooted.
24th July 2014, 05:45 AM   |  #6  
Flag Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 929

2,837 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatcop1

Looks like I finally achieved it! After going through the steps I am rooted. I downloaded SU Root checker and it verified that I am rooted.

Great! Now remember, before you do anything else, run a full nandroid of your stock system in TWRP (Backup, then just swipe the button) and copy it to somewhere safe as in: off the phone!
Congrats! Enjoy!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread