Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,452 Members 42,555 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Recomendations going from Sense Stock to Google Play Edition Rom?

Tip us?

BygSii
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Default [Q] Recomendations going from Sense Stock to Google Play Edition Rom?

I've been running the Sense Stock Rom rooted ever since I got my HTC M8. I want to bring everything over to a Google Play Edition(GPE) Rom. If you have any information/answer to any of my questions, feel free to answer them and I'll send you a XDA thank you!

1. I use HTC Messages and I can back them up, but Hangout's wont let me restore them.. Any way to install HTC Messages on GPE? I know some HTC apps can be downloaded onto GPE, but I don't believe HTC Messages is one of them, is their an app; Hangouts? GoSMS? That would allow me to restore my messages from HTC Messages?

2. Sense lets you change your font. I have a very specific FlipFont from the 50 free pack 7 that I want to use. I downloaded a GPE Rom to play around with, and I came across an app called Font Installer, but I could only get it to work with preloaded fonts, and it wouldn't load the FlipFont that I want to use, is their a different app i could use to load a particular font?

3. What is the best way to back up my contacts? I have over 250, but my SIM card can only save 100 of them. (I know, First world problems.) Would Verizon back up be the way to go?

App and app data i can back up using Titanium backup. I'll make a Nandroid before I fully take the plunge. But yeah, basically, what's the best way to have a seamless transfer/transition from a Sense Stock Rom to a Google Play Edition Rom?

Div033
Old
Thanks Meter 266
Honestly in my experience, a partially themed stock sense ROM (to look like GPE) is going to be a better experience. The GPE ROM has a lot of issues right now, the big one being it thinks its roaming. Apparently its really hard to fix too. There's an xposed mod which makes the system think it isn't roaming which negates many of the issues this would cause, but then if you're actually roaming you might have problems.

But, to answer your questions...

1. You can't install HTC Messages on GPE. You can backup your texts using an app called SMS Backup and Restore which is globally compatible.

2. You might have to install them on the system level manually. I don't have too much experience in this.

3. Sync them with a google account. This is the best form of contact backup.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
Device: HTC One M8 (VZW)
ROM: CleanROM
Retired Devices: Samsung Galaxy S III (VZW), HTC Droid Incredible
The Following User Says Thank You to Div033 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pball52998
Old
Thanks Meter 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Div033 View Post
Honestly in my experience, a partially themed stock sense ROM (to look like GPE) is going to be a better experience. The GPE ROM has a lot of issues right now, the big one being it thinks its roaming. Apparently its really hard to fix too. There's an xposed mod which makes the system think it isn't roaming which negates many of the issues this would cause, but then if you're actually roaming you might have problems.

But, to answer your questions...

1. You can't install HTC Messages on GPE. You can backup your texts using an app called SMS Backup and Restore which is globally compatible.

2. You might have to install them on the system level manually. I don't have too much experience in this.

3. Sync them with a google account. This is the best form of contact backup.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
Roaming issue is fixed with the latest update. The GPE is almost perfect now..... Very stable.....

Restore messages with sms backup stuff.

Contacts "should" be backed up through google.

Fonts, I'm not sure. In the aroma installer for DH's GPE there is 2 font choices. Besides that... Not really sure.. OP, give it a shot. Make a nandroid and flash 😁😀😀😀😁 let the inner crack flash come out in us all.

Sent from my HTC One M8 Google Play Edition. S-OFF.
Main Phone:
Verizon HTC One M8
Liquid Smooth 4.4.4 Nightlies and GPE With L S-OFF
Main MP3 Player and WiFi Device
HTC OG Droid Incredible S-OFF: Cyanogenmod 11
Current Tablet
iPad First Gen. iOS 5.1.1 Jailbroken with GreenPois0n
The Following User Says Thank You to pball52998 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]