Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,427 Members 40,273 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Tether on unlimited plan

Tip us?

GarrettP1
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Tether on unlimited plan

I'm a bit confused about tethering my HTC One M8 as I have an unlimited data plan.

I've read multiple postings here about it, and that's what's led to my confusion.

I've seen threads that claim tethering without rooting the phone, and then other threads that are pretty specific that rooting is necessary.

No question that tethering can be done after rooting the phone, but can I tether without it?

Thanks in advance!

berndblb
Old
Thanks Meter 874
PDANet+ with FoxFi claims it's working on the M8 unrooted. If anything that all, that's probably your only option without root.
try it and report back.

larrydp
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by berndblb View Post
PDANet+ with FoxFi claims it's working on the M8 unrooted. If anything that all, that's probably your only option without root.
try it and report back.
I recently switched from a Razr Maxx to the M8 (unrooted for a change) and ran into the same problem. I bit the bullet and purchased FoxFi, there are no issues the only minor inconvenience is that when you tether it prompts you to go back and turn on the mobile hotspot through settings and you may have to turn it off and on a few times before FoxFi actually works. Other than that though it's been great. Good luck!