[Q] Verizon HTC One ROM Question

30th August 2014, 06:54 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 9

127 posts
I have a quick question about the Verizon variant of the HTC One M8. I just received my HTC One from Verizon. I quickly set to rooting and gaining S-Off. I was able to use Firewater and Weaksauce to gain root and S-Off really easily. Now, I am looking into flashing a different ROM, and here is where I am getting confused. I am wanting to use an AOSP ROM. However, there are very few AOSP builds in the Verizon HTC One forum. I did a bit of digging and I found that Cyanogenmod merged their releases into one device, uniquely named m8. So, my question: Will ROMs developed for just the HTC One M8 work for my Verizon M8? I don't want to flash a ROM and end up screwing something up (of course, I have made a stock rooted backup, but knowing my luck, something will happen and I will be SOL).
30th August 2014, 07:08 PM   |  #2  
Flag K-Town
Thanks Meter: 69

1,082 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stompysan

I have a quick question about the Verizon variant of the HTC One M8. I just received my HTC One from Verizon. I quickly set to rooting and gaining S-Off. I was able to use Firewater and Weaksauce to gain root and S-Off really easily. Now, I am looking into flashing a different ROM, and here is where I am getting confused. I am wanting to use an AOSP ROM. However, there are very few AOSP builds in the Verizon HTC One forum. I did a bit of digging and I found that Cyanogenmod merged their releases into one device, uniquely named m8. So, my question: Will ROMs developed for just the HTC One M8 work for my Verizon M8? I don't want to flash a ROM and end up screwing something up (of course, I have made a stock rooted backup, but knowing my luck, something will happen and I will be SOL).

It MUST say that it is compatible. Some roms say "for all variants" which means all versions of the phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to Quadrider10 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th August 2014, 07:09 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 43

278 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stompysan

Wow, you're quite lucky to gain Firewater with a brand new device this late after it being fixed on new M8's. To answer your question, not all ROM's developed for the non carrier M8 will work on the carrier M8's (Verizon in this case), some will such as Cyanogenmod but not all. Usually the developers will say whether or not your carrier version (Once more, Verizon in this case) is compatible with their ROM, sometimes they don't but you can almost always find out by reading further into the thread as almost always someone else has asked. Oh and thank you's to @Quadrider10 for this part here(about it saying it's compatible), usually if it doesn't say it is compatible then it isn't but as I said you can always confirm it via replies to the thread or asking yourself.

Onto Cyanogenmod in specific, yes it will work perfectly on your device. I've personally tried it myself and honestly it is quite stable to be a "nightly". Anyways yeah it works and you'll be fine, just as always insure you have a working backup just incase.
Last edited by S1L3nTShaDoWz; 30th August 2014 at 07:12 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to S1L3nTShaDoWz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th August 2014, 07:15 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 9

127 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadrider10

It MUST say that it is compatible. Some roms say "for all variants" which means all versions of the phone.

That's what I thought, but I figured I would ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1L3nTShaDoWz

Wow, you're quite lucky to gain Firewater with a brand new device this late after it being fixed on new M8's. To answer your question, not all ROM's developed for the non carrier M8 will work on the carrier M8's (Verizon in this case), some will such as Cyanogenmod but not all. Usually the developers will say whether or not your carrier version (Once more, Verizon in this case) is compatible with their ROM, sometimes they don't but you can almost always find out by reading further into the thread as almost always someone else has asked. Oh and thank you's to @Quadrider10 for this part here, usually if it doesn't say it is compatible then it isn't but as I said you can always confirm it via replies to the thread or asking yourself.

Onto Cyanogenmod in specific, yes it will work perfectly on your device. I've personally tried it myself and honestly it is quite stable to be a "nightly". Anyways yeah it works and you'll be fine.

You have no idea how shocked I was that it worked. I installed Sunshine and it took me to the payment screen, so I thought I would give it a shot. Took about two minutes and it threw up that beautiful "You are now S-Off" message. Reboot to bootloader and sure enough, it worked. It did prompt me to update on my first boot, but I declined it. I am assuming I either got old stock or Verizon was just being extra lazy.

Anyway, thanks again for the quick responses. Going to give CM11 a shot!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread