Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Apps random truncating text with ... on HTC One m7, Verizon, no root. Advice?

OP Pichu0102

15th August 2014, 06:44 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
For some reason, I've got a strange bug on my HTC One that causes random apps to do the strange behavior seen in the attachment. I talked to the developer of the app, then realized occasionally the stock HTC apps like gallery and calendar menus would do this too, as well as the old Quora app which would almost always have every menu option after hitting a button to open a menu have nothing but ... on each menu option. Sometimes a letter or two would survive, like "Pr..." or "M..." but I chalked it up to Quora being buggy. New Quora doesn't have this problem. Thinking further, the older version of Sleep as Android and SleepStats would do this with the menus too, before they had the options in the left drawer. Once again, no screenshot of this.
However, this issue only occurs in portrait mode, not landscape. It seems to happen on apps that have a similar feel to their UI, with a menu button in the upper right. Sorry I don't have more information, I should have taken more screenshots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	August 15, 2014 at 0611AM.png
Views:	29
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	2898475  
15th August 2014, 07:22 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 2,238

6,514 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pichu0102

For some reason, I've got a strange bug on my HTC One that causes random apps to do the strange behavior seen in the attachment. I talked to the developer of the app, then realized occasionally the stock HTC apps like gallery and calendar menus would do this too, as well as the old Quora app which would almost always have every menu option after hitting a button to open a menu have nothing but ... on each menu option. Sometimes a letter or two would survive, like "Pr..." or "M..." but I chalked it up to Quora being buggy. New Quora doesn't have this problem. Thinking further, the older version of Sleep as Android and SleepStats would do this with the menus too, before they had the options in the left drawer. Once again, no screenshot of this.
However, this issue only occurs in portrait mode, not landscape. It seems to happen on apps that have a similar feel to their UI, with a menu button in the upper right. Sorry I don't have more information, I should have taken more screenshots.

have you tried wiping cache for the apps that are affected?
15th August 2014, 07:25 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by synisterwolf

have you tried wiping cache for the apps that are affected?

Still doing it.
15th August 2014, 08:22 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 2,238

6,514 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pichu0102

Still doing it.

if you're 100% stock and this is happening, you might need to do a factory reset.
15th August 2014, 08:23 PM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 464

1,405 posts
Donate to Me
More
Reboot to bootloader (hold down power for approx 10-15secs and when screen shuts off hold down the vol down button also). Use volume keys to select "recovery" press power button to select recovery. When in recovery, select wipe cache and then reboot. If this doesn't work, you might need a factory reset, which will clear data partition. All apps, texts, etc will be reset to factory defaults and should be like almost just out of box condition.

Edit: to back up your data while not being rooted, look up PC apps like "Mobile Go" to back everything up to your PC.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using XDA Free mobile app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread