Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Most efficient WiFi Access Point option

OP bmeek

4th September 2014, 10:49 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 132

575 posts
Seeking advice for the most efficient WiFi Access Point configuration on the vzw m7 - native CM11 WiFi AP vs. the Mobile Hotspot in NuSenseSIX; optimal CPU governor and other kernel options, etc.

I'm doing an experiment to see if it's feasible to use my vzw unlimited data plan and HTC m7 for all of my phone and Internet usage (personal and business usage). I work primarily out of a home office, and my LTE service at home is very good. It actually has more bandwidth than my landline ADSL+ service but with higher latency.

The problems thus far:
  • battery usage - it drains really fast and charges very slowly when using the mobile AP (kernel optimizations, etc?)
  • latency issues tend to annoy VOIP applications (can this be tuned or is it just what is?)
  • AP setup and teardown - since the AP needs to be active when in the vicinity of my home office, but ruins battery life when I'm out and about, I'll probably look to use tasker or something to fire up the AP when needed - suggestions welcome on the best approach

I'm not convinced I can cut the proverbial cord yet, but it's feeling like it may become possible soon.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
mobile hotspot, wifi ap
Previous Thread Next Thread