No registration required

Inconsistent signal versus data

OP AznInertia

6th August 2014, 07:41 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 68

521 posts
Here is the issue I am having:

The area I live in is in a 4G area (Southern California) pretty much everywhere. Periodically when I go somewhere (maybe indoors) I might notice that I have 4G with one bar but can still connect to data/internet with no issues but other areas where I might have 4G with one bar I'm not able to connect or have any data at all. Also, there might be occasions where I have 3G coverage and I can use data fine but last time I went to Vegas there was an area with no 4G coverage but strong 3G coverage (4bars) but I had no data whatsoever. Why is there an inconsistency with the readout of signal versus the ability to connect to data or not?

FYI
- Using NuSense running 4.4.2 using newest Kangaroo Kernel
- Clean flash always!
- I have a new SIM card
- I have the newest firmware/radios
- I also done a stock RUU restore (I had issues with other ROMs with no data)
10th August 2014, 06:34 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 9

84 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznInertia

Here is the issue I am having:

The area I live in is in a 4G area (Southern California) pretty much everywhere. Periodically when I go somewhere (maybe indoors) I might notice that I have 4G with one bar but can still connect to data/internet with no issues but other areas where I might have 4G with one bar I'm not able to connect or have any data at all. Also, there might be occasions where I have 3G coverage and I can use data fine but last time I went to Vegas there was an area with no 4G coverage but strong 3G coverage (4bars) but I had no data whatsoever. Why is there an inconsistency with the readout of signal versus the ability to connect to data or not?

FYI
- Using NuSense running 4.4.2 using newest Kangaroo Kernel
- Clean flash always!
- I have a new SIM card
- I have the newest firmware/radios
- I also done a stock RUU restore (I had issues with other ROMs with no data)

I had the same issue and couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. Ended up getting a free phone replacement from Verizon and my problems were solved. Crossing my fingers that it stays that way.

I can't help but think it happened when I flashed something incorrectly, since it worked fine when I was stock. Anyway, I understand what you're going through. Try talking to Verizon and telling them your problem (and also that you are using a new sim) and they will most likely offer you a free replacement.
14th August 2014, 02:46 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 68

521 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BABABANG

I had the same issue and couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. Ended up getting a free phone replacement from Verizon and my problems were solved. Crossing my fingers that it stays that way.

I can't help but think it happened when I flashed something incorrectly, since it worked fine when I was stock. Anyway, I understand what you're going through. Try talking to Verizon and telling them your problem (and also that you are using a new sim) and they will most likely offer you a free replacement.

I doubt Verizon will give me a replacement given that I am out of the warranty period. My only luck is to claim the additional one year warranty from American Express and perhaps buy another phone if I can't get it fixed...
14th August 2014, 04:12 AM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 464

1,403 posts
Donate to Me
More
If it is your baseband partition being screwy, an ruu by itself might not fix the issue. After ruu run factory reset option from bootloader. This method has been known to fix a plethora of HTC radio issues. If that doesn't work, then it sounds like the radio is borked.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using XDA Free mobile app
15th August 2014, 09:43 PM   |  #5  
Flag Elyria
Thanks Meter: 64

204 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznInertia

I doubt Verizon will give me a replacement given that I am out of the warranty period. My only luck is to claim the additional one year warranty from American Express and perhaps buy another phone if I can't get it fixed...

Uz called it. Flash an RUU from oem ruu mode, then use the factory reset option in the stock recovery, then turn on all your GPS functions and what not before flashing a custom rom.....also make sure after doing the RUU that you update your firmware / radio to newest version, either by letting it OTA to 4.4.2 / sense 6 or flashing firmware files before loading a rom.

From what I have seen - this will fix almost every intermittent problem that comes up in the HTC firmware / partitions.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread