[Q] Question on ROM Kernels.

Search This thread

ZombiJambi

Oct 26, 2012
I installed a GPE Rom with ART, and it's great. Then I installed the Lunar Kernel on top of that, and the performance isn't quite as good with that kernel.
My question is, what's the best way to get install the kernel from the GPE Rom? I didn't make a NAND backup, so restoring is out of the question.

I'm thinking that I could just reinstall the Rom without wiping and that'll restore the kernel. Is there a better way? perhaps extracting the kernel from the ROM zip file?

Thanks!

SynisterWolf

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 4, 2010
Northern California
xdaforums.com
I installed a GPE Rom with ART, and it's great. Then I installed the Lunar Kernel on top of that, and the performance isn't quite as good with that kernel.
My question is, what's the best way to get install the kernel from the GPE Rom? I didn't make a NAND backup, so restoring is out of the question.

I'm thinking that I could just reinstall the Rom without wiping and that'll restore the kernel. Is there a better way? perhaps extracting the kernel from the ROM zip file?

Thanks!

AFAIK lunar kernel hasnt been updated for GPE 4.4.4.

NVM the dev said 4.4.3 kernel will work on 4.4.4

if you want to get back to the kernel that was provided you can flash the rom over what you have but i think the dev's script wipes /system so you may loose and settings you have saved right now. maybe ask the dev to package the kernel by its self so you can flash without having to dirty flash the full rom.

Last edited:

ZombiJambi

Oct 26, 2012
AFAIK lunar kernel hasnt been updated for GPE 4.4.4.

if you want to get back to the kernel that was provided you can flash the rom over what you have but i think the dev's script wipes /system so you may loose and settings you have saved right now. maybe ask the dev to package the kernel by its self so you can flash without having to dirty flash the full rom.

Awesome man, thanks. There's no easy way to extract the kernel from the rom?

buckmarble

Sep 18, 2010
Michigan

Thanks!

which lunar kernel did you install?

disconnecktie

Oct 23, 2011
You have to split the boot.img. One way would be to find the Perl script for doing this and Google the commands (I don't remember them off the top of my head) or use the android kitchen and load the boot in there and use it for splitting the boot and inserting whatever zimage you wanted. Be advised not all ramdisks are the same and not all ramdisks will work with every kernel.

brymaster5000

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 9, 2012
New Hampshire
Awesome man, thanks. There's no easy way to extract the kernel from the rom?

Just take the boot.img from the ROM zip, place it in your adb folder. Boot into fastboot. Type: fastboot flash boot boot.img

Once you reboot, take the modules from the ROM zip located in system/lib/modules and place them into that same directory on your phone. Replace all modules with the same name. Make sure they have the same permission as before. Reboot.

That is it.

Or if you are feeling spry, take the boot.img and the modules and place them into a flashable zip. To do so, you will need the updater binary and updater script located in the ROM zip. These are located in the META-INF/com/google/android folder.

Change the updater-script to say this:
Code:
ui_print("Mount /System Folder...");
run_program("/sbin/busybox", "mount", "/system");
ui_print("Extracting System Files...");
package_extract_dir("system", "/system");
set_perm_recursive(0, 0, 0755, 0644, "/system/lib/modules");
ui_print("Extracting Kernel files...");
package_extract_file("boot.img", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p33");
ui_print("* Kernel Installation Completed!  *");
show_progress(0.100000, 0);

Place the modules into a system/lib/modules folder.

Zip those two folders up and flash in recovery.