Android 5.0 Lollipop in 3D–EVO 3D, That Is!

It is that time of the year once again. Flowers bloom (or snow falls, depending on which … more

Gaming Console with Lollipop? Ouya Gets an Android TV Port

Android is a very flexible platform, and it can be used on a large variety of … more

Android App Review: Manage Your Connections Automagically – XDA TV

Material Design is all the buzz in the Android world right now. … more

Official TWRP Recovery Lands on Micromax Canvas Magnus

With the recent release of Android One, Micromax and MediaTek released fully buildable … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Can I go from s-off to s-on???

OP gonzalezb

18th August 2014, 07:12 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bentonville
Thanks Meter: 67

109 posts
More
Okay so I used firewater exploit to get unlocked boot loader and s-off I'm on google play edition ROM can I put s-on and leave boot loader unlocked without issues????

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Free mobile app
18th August 2014, 07:29 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 2,238

6,514 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalezb

Okay so I used firewater exploit to get unlocked boot loader and s-off I'm on google play edition ROM can I put s-on and leave boot loader unlocked without issues????

if you do s-on you will need to flash boot.img with fastboot and not with recovery.
18th August 2014, 07:38 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bentonville

109 posts
More
I get that but will it work or will something go wrong if I do it on Verizon variant since it was unlocked via exploit. And I'm not on original firmware I've since upgraded that to latest.

18th August 2014, 09:09 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bentonville

109 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by synisterwolf

if you do s-on you will need to flash boot.img with fastboot and not with recovery.

Stupid xda app didn't reply when i posted this.

I get that but will it work or will something go wrong if I do it on Verizon variant since it was unlocked via exploit. And I'm not on original firmware I've since upgraded that to latest.
18th August 2014, 09:23 PM   |  #5  
Flag Anaheim, CA
Thanks Meter: 56

235 posts
More
Quote:

Unless you need service on the phone, it would be best to stay S-0ff and unlocked.
If you S-0n, you're very restricted on what you can do.
You'll miss out on newer issues of custom roms, if nothing else.

Be verrry sure you have a stock hBoot in it
before you S-0n if you're going to do that.
18th August 2014, 10:08 PM   |  #6  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 2,238

6,514 posts
More
Quote:

nope, unlock is unlock no matter how we got it. if the bootloader says UNLOCKED on the top it good to go. you can turn the phone back to s-on if you like and flash everything rom related inside recovery. you would need to extract the boot.img and flash with fastboot. with s-on you wont be able to update firmwares, radios, splash screens, ect. even if it is an update to what you have because with s-on it looks for HTC signature, if it returns as null it wont apply.

with s-on, you cant ruu unless its an incremental updated ie. if you are version B but want to go to A you cant. Also if version B is acting up and want to ruu, you cant just ruu to version B you would need to wait for version C.

there really isnt a need to S-on unless you want to return it back to VZW. As long as you are careful on what you flash you shouldn't need to worry about bricks. Just check MD5 sums when flashing roms or kernels and you will be good to go.

EDIT:
i would also like to add, the new sunshine S-off app was updated to 2.0 to gain s-off on the newest firmware. if you do decide to go back to s-on but keep unlocked bootloader you can. but you will have to pay $25 for the s-off license key within the sunshine app.
Last edited by synisterwolf; 18th August 2014 at 10:10 PM.
21st August 2014, 08:41 AM   |  #7  
Flag Elyria
Thanks Meter: 64

204 posts
Donate to Me
More
IMO, unless you are sending your phone in for warranty service, there is no reason to ever put it back to s-on. You are just limiting your options as to what you can do with it.

Edit - this phone is very hard to actually brick also.........most problems I have seen have been people putting themselves back to s-on, THEN ****ing something up, and not being able to RUU because they went back. heh
Last edited by ccarr313; 21st August 2014 at 08:43 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread