Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,814 Members 44,225 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Can I go from s-off to s-on???

Tip us?

gonzalezb
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 51
Default Can I go from s-off to s-on???

Okay so I used firewater exploit to get unlocked boot loader and s-off I'm on google play edition ROM can I put s-on and leave boot loader unlocked without issues????

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Free mobile app

synisterwolf
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalezb View Post
Okay so I used firewater exploit to get unlocked boot loader and s-off I'm on google play edition ROM can I put s-on and leave boot loader unlocked without issues????

if you do s-on you will need to flash boot.img with fastboot and not with recovery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Internet
You learn something new everyday. Unless you have a brain injury, then it's all pretty much yelling and coloring.
Congratulations on being the kind of person who corrects the grammar of others, unsolicited. You're the Microsoft Word Paperclip.

gonzalezb
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 51
I get that but will it work or will something go wrong if I do it on Verizon variant since it was unlocked via exploit. And I'm not on original firmware I've since upgraded that to latest.

gonzalezb
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by synisterwolf View Post
if you do s-on you will need to flash boot.img with fastboot and not with recovery.
Stupid xda app didn't reply when i posted this.

I get that but will it work or will something go wrong if I do it on Verizon variant since it was unlocked via exploit. And I'm not on original firmware I've since upgraded that to latest.

michaelbsheldon
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Quote:

Unless you need service on the phone, it would be best to stay S-0ff and unlocked.
If you S-0n, you're very restricted on what you can do.
You'll miss out on newer issues of custom roms, if nothing else.

Be verrry sure you have a stock hBoot in it
before you S-0n if you're going to do that.

synisterwolf
Old
(Last edited by synisterwolf; 18th August 2014 at 09:10 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,197
Quote:

nope, unlock is unlock no matter how we got it. if the bootloader says UNLOCKED on the top it good to go. you can turn the phone back to s-on if you like and flash everything rom related inside recovery. you would need to extract the boot.img and flash with fastboot. with s-on you wont be able to update firmwares, radios, splash screens, ect. even if it is an update to what you have because with s-on it looks for HTC signature, if it returns as null it wont apply.

with s-on, you cant ruu unless its an incremental updated ie. if you are version B but want to go to A you cant. Also if version B is acting up and want to ruu, you cant just ruu to version B you would need to wait for version C.

there really isnt a need to S-on unless you want to return it back to VZW. As long as you are careful on what you flash you shouldn't need to worry about bricks. Just check MD5 sums when flashing roms or kernels and you will be good to go.

EDIT:
i would also like to add, the new sunshine S-off app was updated to 2.0 to gain s-off on the newest firmware. if you do decide to go back to s-on but keep unlocked bootloader you can. but you will have to pay $25 for the s-off license key within the sunshine app.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Internet
You learn something new everyday. Unless you have a brain injury, then it's all pretty much yelling and coloring.
Congratulations on being the kind of person who corrects the grammar of others, unsolicited. You're the Microsoft Word Paperclip.

ccarr313
Old
(Last edited by ccarr313; 21st August 2014 at 07:43 AM.)
Thanks Meter 63

DONATE TO ME
IMO, unless you are sending your phone in for warranty service, there is no reason to ever put it back to s-on. You are just limiting your options as to what you can do with it.

Edit - this phone is very hard to actually brick also.........most problems I have seen have been people putting themselves back to s-on, THEN ****ing something up, and not being able to RUU because they went back. heh
VZW HTC One
1.57 HBoot/Radio 1.13.41.0421
Philz CWM 6