Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,386 Members 38,394 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Windows 8.1 on our HTC One?

Tip us?

Aggies1288
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default [Q] Windows 8.1 on our HTC One?

Could there be a way to have the windows 8.1 on our M7? I seen today where they released the windows version on the M8 at verizon today and I was just curious if it could be done?

Thanks

synisterwolf
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggies1288 View Post
Could there be a way to have the windows 8.1 on our M7? I seen today where they released the windows version on the M8 at verizon today and I was just curious if it could be done?

Thanks
anythings possible but it would take a lot of work. i dont even know the logistics of it and wouldnt be very helpful.

maybe a dev could chime in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Internet
You learn something new everyday. Unless you have a brain injury, then it's all pretty much yelling and coloring.
Congratulations on being the kind of person who corrects the grammar of others, unsolicited. You're the Microsoft Word Paperclip.

bmeek
Old
Thanks Meter 93
If I were in the position at Microsoft to institute a pirate dual-boot development campaign for Windows Phone, I would have a lot of fun doing it. Generate market buzz for Windows Phone by giving those with suitable devices the opportunity to install a "free operating system upgrade".

The challenges would be as much legal and political as technical - working with OEM and carrier partners who're nervous about unlocked bootloaders, etc. A marketing campaign that isn't about getting people to buy new hardware so much as giving new life to devices already out there... I would target recent Google Nexus devices (they're open, right?), then do an assessment of iPhone 5* and the legality of a push-button JailBreak app: "Tired of your stuffy iPhone? click here for some open Windows". yeah, redmond could have fun with this and make some noise where they need good marketing more than anything, Simply put, I would look closer at Windows Phone for my next upgrade if they did something like this. Do something nice for the enthusiasts and influencers, etc.

woodsman4
Old
Thanks Meter 7
If you had the M8 it might be possible, but not on the M7

Dark Jedi
Old
Thanks Meter 581
Know hawk has hinted about trying to port a Windows os to the m7. Again just talked about it a little. So till at least a dev tries and you know someone will try to do it. We will have to sit and wait till they do.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dark Jedi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

santod040
Old
Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 8,397

DONATE TO ME
Until the Windows m8 is even unlocked (as the Chevron method will no longer work) and someone manages to make a dump from it, nothing will happen.
Maybe it will still be possible to pay a fee and register it as a Developer device, for publishing apps to the market.
Then when that does happen, getting it to boot on the Android m8 will be the first challenge at hand, as it will have to have the bootloader and firmware ported as well.
Getting all of that ported over to any other device will be a huge challenge and I wouldn't personally hold my breath on anyone getting this done, anytime soon, if at all.
Just being straight about it.
It's not the same as porting android from one device to another.
In my opinion, Cotulla would be the guy to do this for the m7, if he has any interest in doing so, but again that's just my opinion.
Current Devices: HTC Thunderbolt | HTC Droid DNA | HTC One - m7 | HTC One - m8

Follow me on Twitter
ULTIMATE WALLS WVGA Wallpaper Collection
Donations always appreciated! Never required!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to santod040 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hawknest
Old
Thanks Meter 12,513

DONATE TO ME
We will see what happens... As stated not possible without a dump though

Revamped 2.0 Lunar 4.4.3

Helps support development, Not Expected but Appreciated...

Follow Development @ http://www.android-edge.com

Or Search Edge On TapaTalk

And Twitter @Hawknest12

synisterwolf
Old
(Last edited by synisterwolf; 27th August 2014 at 04:10 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,198
well the HTC HD2 was able to get windows 6.5, windows 7, android, unbuntu, and Meego all on one phone so this is highly possible but as Hawknest said, we would need a dump first.

source

with some work, Grub bootloader can be loaded onto the M7. But thats another topic all together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Internet
You learn something new everyday. Unless you have a brain injury, then it's all pretty much yelling and coloring.
Congratulations on being the kind of person who corrects the grammar of others, unsolicited. You're the Microsoft Word Paperclip.

DJ_MiX
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Problem is even it you port windows 8, Microsoft will pull it from forums..