my 47a upgrade experience

Search This thread

altwu

Dec 16, 2014
Verizon LG G3
Google Pixel XL
about a week ago, i finally upgraded to 47a. previously, i was running jasmine 4.0 + skydragon kernel. that setup worked great for a long time, but then issues started to pop up. rather than redo the install, i decided to upgrade to the 47a rom provided by @xdabbeb. i wanted a clean, fresh install so i followed all the instructions on this forum to revert to 10b, root, and then install 47a. since jasmine 4.0 is a 12b based rom, reverting to 10b wasn't necessary. i did it because i wanted a clean, fresh rom install. here are some of the things i learned along the way and after a week of use. my experience may be different from others.
  • while going through the phone setup after reverting to 10b, i skipped any email account(google or other) setup. since i was going back to 10b for the sole purpose of gaining root and installing twrp in order to be able to flash 47a, doing any account wasn't necessary. i rooted with stump. ioroot should work also. the downside to this was that i couldn't download flashify or twrp manager from the play store to use to flash twrp. since i didn't have the apks for those apps, my only option for flashing twrp was via adb as described here.
  • after flashing the 35b bootstack in recovery, i rebooted back into recovery as suggested by @mopartonyg here. after that, i flashed the 47a rom, debloat scripts, and hotspot mod. some have had success flashing everything all at once, but when i did that, i didn't have root. i don't think it hurts to reboot into recovery after flashing the bootstack and it adds only about 30 seconds to the upgrade process.
  • i implemented the external sd card fix described by @Robshr here. there's also an app that will make the same changes.
  • even with the external sd card fix, titanium backup wouldn't write to my external sd card. i had 2 options to get around this: 1) backup to internal storage and then copy to the external sd or 2) use the DocumentProvider storage option in titanium backup to get it to write to the external sd card. i opted for #1. one time i tried DocumentProvider storage and i got a message saying that titanium backup was moving the backups and somehow they got corrupted.
  • even with the new doze feature, my battery was draining quickly. greenify put a stop to that.
  • overall performance has been good. gaming performance isn't as good as what i had with jasmine 4.0 + skydragon kernel. the os still needs some tuning. i have a thread about it here.
  • i use google hangouts for text messaging and it had problems downloading mms messages. it turned out that pushbullet's sms sync was the problem. disabling this allowed me to receive mms messages again, but i didn't have this problem with jasmine 4.0.

April 20, 2016 UPDATE: After a few weeks of use, here are some other things i observed/experienced.
  • the rom is very snappy. it's much more responsive than KK. i'm guessing that a lot of this is due to the change to android runtime(ART) vs the dalvik virtual machine. my antutu ux benchmark score was almost 2x the score i got with jasmine. other benchmarks weren't as good though and performance in the games i play still isn't as good. more details in the 47a performance q&a thread.
  • the material design is nice. i like the window shade animation for notifications and the animation for recent apps. the newer lg weather app is nice too.
  • on jasmine 4.0, i had a problem with google play music not working well with bluetooth. it kept killing the bluetooth connection. the stock lg music player didn't have this problem. after upgrading to 47a, this problem is gone so i can use google play music once again.
  • i encountered another issue with the external sd card. the stock lg file manager writes to the external sd card just fine. the workaround for titanium backup to get it to write to an external sd card without using DocumentProvider storage works great. i also have root explorer and it can't write to the external sd card without setting up something that's similar to titanium backup's DocumentProvider storage option. any sort of preprocessing vs. direct filesystem access makes me nervous about corruption. this security "feature" that restricts apps' write permissions to only their directory under Android/data is a pain.

imo, 47a isn't a slam dunk win. some things are better but there still some annoyances too. gotta take the bad with the good, i guess.

i hope this is helpful. again, my experience may be different from what others have seen.

Last edited:

altwu

Dec 16, 2014
Verizon LG G3
Google Pixel XL
I know you mention Greenify - just wanted to ask if you've enabled Greenify's Aggressive Doze feature, that I believe is specific to Marshmallow, which causes Marshmallow to Doze after only a few minutes instead of a couple of hours? I have and it works great.

yeah, i turned it on. it works really well. i also enabled the debug mode that lets me see the normal and aggressive doze times.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

danbest82

Just wanted to say thank you for this thread. I too am running Jasmine 4.0 with skydragon and it works great. One day I might have to take the plunge to switch to MM and have been casually browsing the ROMs in the meantime. This thread will definitely help me when I decide to switch. Looking forward to hear how things are after a few weeks of use.

altwu

Dec 16, 2014
Verizon LG G3
Google Pixel XL

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-04-08-15-21-33.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-04-08-15-21-33.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 260
  • Screenshot_2016-04-08-14-01-43.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-04-08-14-01-43.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 265

ultima40

Mar 20, 2016
Oh didn't realize it was a separate app, no wonder I couldn't find it.... So no idea why I'm having mms problems. Well I'm going to reflash my phone this weekend so hopefully it goes away.

Rabidsloth

Apr 17, 2011
Taylorsville
Titanium Backup

You can save to your external sd card by pointing the backup location to the following file.

/storage/extSdCard/Android/data/com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup/

Replace "extSdDard" with whatever your card is named and create the above folder if it doesn't exist. I would also create a folder within com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup named backup and save the backup there so you don't mess with any of Titaniums default files.

The last entry on the Titanium website trouble shooting page explains.

http://www.titaniumtrack.com/kb/titanium-backup-kb/titanium-backup-troubleshooting.html

altwu

Dec 16, 2014
Verizon LG G3
Google Pixel XL
Oh didn't realize it was a separate app, no wonder I couldn't find it.... So no idea why I'm having mms problems. Well I'm going to reflash my phone this weekend so hopefully it goes away.

pushbullet's sms sync was affecting hangouts' handling of mms messages. the stock messaging app could send and receive mms messages even with pushbullet's sms sync turned on. even though you're seeing a different issue, if you're using hangouts for text messaging, i suggest try a different text message app, like the stock one. if your mms problem goes away, it points to a bug with hangouts. if you still have problems with mms, it may be a more global issue.

You can save to your external sd card by pointing the backup location to the following file.

Replace "extSdDard" with whatever your card is named and create the above folder if it doesn't exist. I would also create a folder within com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup named backup and save the backup there so you don't mess with any of Titaniums default files.

http://www.titaniumtrack.com/kb/titanium-backup-kb/titanium-backup-troubleshooting.html

sweet! that worked! i didn't know titanium backup had a workaround for this that didn't involve DocumentProvider storage. i like this idea much better since it allows direct access to sd card.

iBolski

pushbullet's sms sync was affecting hangouts' handling of mms messages. the stock messaging app could send and receive mms messages even with pushbullet's sms sync turned on. even though you're seeing a different issue, if you're using hangouts for text messaging, i suggest try a different text message app, like the stock one. if your mms problem goes away, it points to a bug with hangouts. if you still have problems with mms, it may be a more global issue.

sweet! that worked! i didn't know titanium backup had a workaround for this that didn't involve DocumentProvider storage. i like this idea much better since it allows direct access to sd card.

Yup. That definitely fixes the issue since the security is now that the app can only write to it's own directory in the Android/data directory. Anything outside of that, forget it without using the security by pass fixes which then opens up your external SD card to all sorts of maliciousness if you're not careful.

I'm currently not rooted, so I just use the included LG backup tool which seems to work just fine. Too bad this won't work when it comes time for me to switch to a new phone that might be non-LG. I'll have to root my phone and then use TiBu.

Once I'm certain this phone no longer will receive OTAs (which I'm assuming is the case), I'll probably eventually root it so I can go back to TiBu.

danbest82

about a week ago, i finally upgraded to 47a. previously, i was running jasmine 4.0 + skydragon kernel. that setup worked great for a long time, but then issues started to pop up. rather than redo the install, i decided to upgrade to the 47a rom provided by @xdabbeb. i wanted a clean, fresh install so i followed all the instructions on this forum to revert to 10b, root, and then install 47a. here are some of the things i learned along the way and after a week of use. my experience may be different from others.
  • while going through the phone setup after reverting to 10b, i skipped any email account(google or other) setup. since i was going back to 10b for the sole purpose of gaining root and installing twrp in order to be able to flash 47a, doing any account wasn't necessary. i rooted with stump. ioroot should work also. the downside to this was that i couldn't download flashify or twrp manager from the play store to use to flash twrp. since i didn't have the apks for those apps, my only option for flashing twrp was via adb as described here.
  • after flashing the 35b bootstack in recovery, i rebooted back into recovery as suggested by @mopartonyg here. after that, i flashed the 47a rom, debloat scripts, and hotspot mod. some have had success flashing everything all at once, but when i did that, i didn't have root. i don't think it hurts to reboot into recovery after flashing the bootstack and it adds only about 30 seconds to the upgrade process.
  • i implemented the external sd card fix described by @Robshr here. there's also an app that will make the same changes.
  • even with the external sd card fix, titanium backup wouldn't write to my external sd card. i had 2 options to get around this: 1) backup to internal storage and then copy to the external sd or 2) use the DocumentProvider storage option in titanium backup to get it to write to the external sd card. i opted for #1. one time i tried DocumentProvider storage and i got a message saying that titanium backup was moving the backups and somehow they got corrupted.
  • even with the new doze feature, my battery was draining quickly. greenify put a stop to that.
  • overall performance has been good. gaming performance isn't as good as what i had with jasmine 4.0 + skydragon kernel. the os still needs some tuning. i have a thread about it here.
  • i use google hangouts for text messaging and it had problems downloading mms messages. it turned out that pushbullet's sms sync was the problem. disabling this allowed me to receive mms messages again, but i didn't have this problem with jasmine 4.0.
i hope this is helpful. again, my experience may be different from what others have seen.

Just wanted to say thank you for this thread. I too am running Jasmine 4.0 with skydragon and it works great. One day I might have to take the plunge to switch to MM and have been casually browsing the ROMs in the meantime. This thread will definitely help me when I decide to switch. Looking forward to hear how things are after a few weeks of use.

Well, my phone occasionally becomes unresponsive and the screen will not turn on even though I thought I fixed it. Did this happen to you on jasmineRom with skydragon? I started doing more reading about upgrading KK to MM. Why did you have to downgrade to 10b before flashing the 35b bootstack? Didn't you have root on 12b? I may not be understanding what I read but thought you could flash 35b over 12b. Thank you for the help.

altwu

Dec 16, 2014
Verizon LG G3
Google Pixel XL
Well, my phone occasionally becomes unresponsive and the screen will not turn on even though I thought I fixed it. Did this happen to you on jasmineRom with skydragon? I started doing more reading about upgrading KK to MM. Why did you have to downgrade to 10b before flashing the 35b bootstack? Didn't you have root on 12b? I may not be understanding what I read but thought you could flash 35b over 12b. Thank you for the help.

i didn't encounter any issues with my phone being unresponsive or screen issues while i was still on jasmine. but i was rebooting my phone more often before i upgraded to MM. do reboots help clear up the unresponsiveness you're seeing? i don't know if it will help with the screen issues. maybe it's time for a data & cache wipe, reinstall of jasmine, or upgrade to 47a.

sorry for the confusion. with jasmine 4.0, i did have root on 12b, so reverting to 10b before flashing the 35b bootstack wasn't necessary. i did it because i wanted a fresh, clean install. if you're still running KK, i think you flash the 35b bootstack without reverting. to 10b.

i also updated the OP with my experience after a few weeks of use.

danbest82

i didn't encounter any issues with my phone being unresponsive or screen issues while i was still on jasmine. but i was rebooting my phone more often before i upgraded to MM. do reboots help clear up the unresponsiveness you're seeing? i don't know if it will help with the screen issues. maybe it's time for a data & cache wipe, reinstall of jasmine, or upgrade to 47a.

sorry for the confusion. with jasmine 4.0, i did have root on 12b, so reverting to 10b before flashing the 35b bootstack wasn't necessary. i did it because i wanted a fresh, clean install. if you're still running KK, i think you flash the 35b bootstack without reverting. to 10b.

Thanks for the explanation. I've been rooting for a while now but all the phones and tablets are different so wanted to make sure. My phone came rooted too so didn't even do it on this one.

Before I tweaked the thermal settings, had 2 options on in kernel adiutor, I was getting the unresponsiveness about every 3-4 weeks. This last time, it hadn't done it for about 6 weeks, then bam, this morning it got me. I think I may try MM but want to read up more and make sure I can revert back if needed. You still have a working TWRP on MM right? Thanks again.

altwu

Dec 16, 2014
Verizon LG G3
Google Pixel XL
Thanks for the explanation. I've been rooting for a while now but all the phones and tablets are different so wanted to make sure. My phone came rooted too so didn't even do it on this one.

Before I tweaked the thermal settings, had 2 options on in kernel adiutor, I was getting the unresponsiveness about every 3-4 weeks. This last time, it hadn't done it for about 6 weeks, then bam, this morning it got me. I think I may try MM but want to read up more and make sure I can revert back if needed. You still have a working TWRP on MM right? Thanks again.

yes, i have twrp 2.8.7.0 working on mm. i think there's a version 3.x.x.x out but i haven't upgraded yet. if you make a nandroid of your jasmine install, you should be able to restore if you change your mind after upgrading to mm. you can revert back to 10b and then go through the process to root and install twrp in order to restore it. or you can try flashing the 12b bootstack and then restore. if it were me, i'd go the 10b route.

off topic. your sig says you have an asus transformer prime tf201. i have a tf700 that's collecting dust. is your tablet still alive and kicking?

danbest82

yes, i have twrp 2.8.7.0 working on mm. i think there's a version 3.x.x.x out but i haven't upgraded yet. if you make a nandroid of your jasmine install, you should be able to restore if you change your mind after upgrading to mm. you can revert back to 10b and then go through the process to root and install twrp in order to restore it. or you can try flashing the 12b bootstack and then restore. if it were me, i'd go the 10b route.

off topic. your sig says you have an asus transformer prime tf201. i have a tf700 that's collecting dust. is your tablet still alive and kicking?

OK. Thanks! I'll probably try 47a when I get time. I see in your update in the OP that you have the BT issue with Google play music too. It's annoying but only reason I was using play music was because they took over songza.

My tf201 is still alive. It collects dust for a while until I travel then usually bring it to watch movies. It's hard to use a low RAM device after using the G3. When Asus updated it to JB 4.2 it bogged it down so rooted it and started playing with ROMs. Found that cromi-x JB 4.2.1 worked better that any KK ROMs for it. I was just thinking of trying a MM ROM for it too but dunno if I'll bother.

nagi_007pk

Aug 23, 2012
OnePlus 7T
So here's my 2 cents regarding the 47A firmware

I was using fulmics 5.2 for about a week when my phone started lagging and got too slow in daily routine tasks. I decided it's time to tot back to 10b and give the official Verizon firnware a try since international firmware doesn't play nice at times (no data, black screen at boot, unusual battery etc.) So I'm toting back to 10b and my laptop is ages old it stops the flashing process (I've used this laptop quite a few times before to tot back).

Being the smartass I wait for a while and then after no response I pull the usb cable while process at flashing boot. Phone hard bricked boom!

I tried quite a few techniques (the infamous hardbrick technique which requires you to remove the back panel and short wires) but to no avail. Sent my phone in to a local repair shop and they charged me a reasonable amount and got my phone that evening with the 10b firmware. Rooted installed the 47A firmware and man has my phone changed or what...

The phone's gotten smooth as anything. No more overheating in normal use. No more black screen issues. Battery life without any modifications goes up to 4.5 hours of SOT (pretty happy) on normal to heavy use. (Music, a few calls, 15-20 mins of YouTube and hours of 8 ball pool). The UI is depressing compared to Fulmics which is neater and more aesthetically pleasing but my phone with this firmware has gone from being an iPhone 5 to a 6S (in terms of fluidity and responsiveness). I used the debloated scripts too and changed the boot screen for maximum LG feel. Phone is performing well above expectations so after my long post I would say, with this firmware my phone has more than a year worth of life left in it. Thanks @xdabbeb

android94301

May 28, 2012
I've had mixed results too. The main issue is phone, I get the blinking Triangle of roaming even when not roaming, and my Verizon sim loses connectivity constantly. I had to go back to my Nexus 6 (where it works perfectly.)

Found out that this was not caused by 47a, but because my IMEI got erased somehow. Restored EFS and all is well, and 47a seems great!

Last edited:

Khiraji

Dec 11, 2010
Portland, OR
Finally upgraded to 47a, loving it so far. My phone is fast again! The only annoyance I've found so far is that my phone seems to be discharging itself at night. I use a wireless charging base, and several times I've woken up to find that my battery is at ~50%. It shows that it's charging (battery animation going), but it's as if it's using more energy than it's getting via the wireless charger. Other times I'll put it down on the charger and it will charge up almost as fast as direct USB. Also there doesn't seem to be a "wireless charging" screen like there was in Lollipop.

I'm running this 47a ROM (essentially stock, rooted). I've spent a good long while searching for anything similar on these forums and google, but haven't found anything. Then again sometimes I fail at searching.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    about a week ago, i finally upgraded to 47a. previously, i was running jasmine 4.0 + skydragon kernel. that setup worked great for a long time, but then issues started to pop up. rather than redo the install, i decided to upgrade to the 47a rom provided by @xdabbeb. i wanted a clean, fresh install so i followed all the instructions on this forum to revert to 10b, root, and then install 47a. since jasmine 4.0 is a 12b based rom, reverting to 10b wasn't necessary. i did it because i wanted a clean, fresh rom install. here are some of the things i learned along the way and after a week of use. my experience may be different from others.

April 20, 2016 UPDATE: After a few weeks of use, here are some other things i observed/experienced.
    • the rom is very snappy. it's much more responsive than KK. i'm guessing that a lot of this is due to the change to android runtime(ART) vs the dalvik virtual machine. my antutu ux benchmark score was almost 2x the score i got with jasmine. other benchmarks weren't as good though and performance in the games i play still isn't as good. more details in the 47a performance q&a thread.
    • the material design is nice. i like the window shade animation for notifications and the animation for recent apps. the newer lg weather app is nice too.
    • on jasmine 4.0, i had a problem with google play music not working well with bluetooth. it kept killing the bluetooth connection. the stock lg music player didn't have this problem. after upgrading to 47a, this problem is gone so i can use google play music once again.
    • i encountered another issue with the external sd card. the stock lg file manager writes to the external sd card just fine. the workaround for titanium backup to get it to write to an external sd card without using DocumentProvider storage works great. i also have root explorer and it can't write to the external sd card without setting up something that's similar to titanium backup's DocumentProvider storage option. any sort of preprocessing vs. direct filesystem access makes me nervous about corruption. this security "feature" that restricts apps' write permissions to only their directory under Android/data is a pain.

imo, 47a isn't a slam dunk win. some things are better but there still some annoyances too. gotta take the bad with the good, i guess.

Titanium Backup

So here's my 2 cents regarding the 47A firmware

I was using fulmics 5.2 for about a week when my phone started lagging and got too slow in daily routine tasks. I decided it's time to tot back to 10b and give the official Verizon firnware a try since international firmware doesn't play nice at times (no data, black screen at boot, unusual battery etc.) So I'm toting back to 10b and my laptop is ages old it stops the flashing process (I've used this laptop quite a few times before to tot back).

Being the smartass I wait for a while and then after no response I pull the usb cable while process at flashing boot. Phone hard bricked boom!

I tried quite a few techniques (the infamous hardbrick technique which requires you to remove the back panel and short wires) but to no avail. Sent my phone in to a local repair shop and they charged me a reasonable amount and got my phone that evening with the 10b firmware. Rooted installed the 47A firmware and man has my phone changed or what...

The phone's gotten smooth as anything. No more overheating in normal use. No more black screen issues. Battery life without any modifications goes up to 4.5 hours of SOT (pretty happy) on normal to heavy use. (Music, a few calls, 15-20 mins of YouTube and hours of 8 ball pool). The UI is depressing compared to Fulmics which is neater and more aesthetically pleasing but my phone with this firmware has gone from being an iPhone 5 to a 6S (in terms of fluidity and responsiveness). I used the debloated scripts too and changed the boot screen for maximum LG feel. Phone is performing well above expectations so after my long post I would say, with this firmware my phone has more than a year worth of life left in it. Thanks @xdabbeb

Finally upgraded to 47a, loving it so far. My phone is fast again! The only annoyance I've found so far is that my phone seems to be discharging itself at night. I use a wireless charging base, and several times I've woken up to find that my battery is at ~50%. It shows that it's charging (battery animation going), but it's as if it's using more energy than it's getting via the wireless charger. Other times I'll put it down on the charger and it will charge up almost as fast as direct USB. Also there doesn't seem to be a "wireless charging" screen like there was in Lollipop.

I'm running this 47a ROM (essentially stock, rooted). I've spent a good long while searching for anything similar on these forums and google, but haven't found anything. Then again sometimes I fail at searching.

I've found that some wireless chargers will charge the phone up to 100%, and then basically shut down, leaving the phone to discharge overnight, which can leave it half charged. I tend to use a wired charger now, but the wireless charger is good during the daytime.