Anyone come from a G2?

Search This thread

bose301s

Mar 3, 2010
Carrboro, NC
I have a G2, love the phone, but am interested in the G3. I was wondering if any of you who have gotten the G3 came from the G2 and what your opinions and thoughts on the switch are.

themikeyan

Jul 18, 2010
I have a G2, love the phone, but am interested in the G3. I was wondering if any of you who have gotten the G3 came from the G2 and what your opinions and thoughts on the switch are.

swapped an upgrade and am trying out a g3 right now... just got it tonight, so i'm not judging it quite yet. I think the new screen is really nice, not a huge difference off the 1080p screens, but still nice. battery seems meh so far, and I had awesome battery life on my G2.... i'm gonna give it the weekend and see how it does. Then again, my g2 was running Mahdi, etc, so it really isn't a fair comparison

Mike

bose301s

Mar 3, 2010
Carrboro, NC
Someone I work with got one and it seems really nice, the stock OS seems very nice and I really like the look of it, toned down and flattened out from the stock OS on the G2. With the G2 I will go back to stock but can never seem to stay there long before I miss CM11 and go back to it. Overall very happy with the G2 on CM11, just a nerd who likes having the latest and greatest lol.

rfarrah

May 30, 2008
OKC
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
I came from the VZW G2. I, too, was looking forward this phone as being the next greatest thing. I DO like the phone. I am still getting used to the size. When you hold the G2 and G3 together you can see that the G3 isn't hugely bigger than the G2. But to me it really FEELs bigger. Trying to decide if I really like that. I'm not a fan of the big phablets, and maybe the G2 is as big as I want to go. We'll see. I like the ability to have more memory with the SD card - that is a big difference. I always had to keep an eye on memory with my G2. Battery life is not as good as my G2. That may be better when we start to get some custom ROMs, but for the first time in many months I find myself below 30% at the end of the workday. I expected to be wowed by the screen and display. That didn't happen. It's fine, just not a "wow - look at that" kind of experience.

Well, hope this helps. As always, YMMV.

LgG2-Ttrain

Jan 13, 2014
Birmingham
verizon g3

I came from the g2 also and I agree with everything that had been said, it's not a huge upgrade. I only paid 99 dollars so it was worth it for me and the memory card slot is a great add, plus the I love my g2 so getting the g3 was a no brainer for me. The battery dies faster for sure but last the whole day still, I've not had one problem with the phone at all yet.

scottysize

Mar 17, 2011
I came from the g2 also and I agree with everything that had been said, it's not a huge upgrade. I only paid 99 dollars so it was worth it for me and the memory card slot is a great add, plus the I love my g2 so getting the g3 was a no brainer for me. The battery dies faster for sure but last the whole day still, I've not had one problem with the phone at all yet.

Ditto. ^^^^

If it wasn't for the $99, and I had to pay the $600, no way I'd switch. The G2's a great phone and will still be going strong a year from now. Heck, two years from now.

IamPro

Dec 2, 2010
I am just surprised at the weight, so light compared to G2.. hell I didn't think mine was a real G3 till I threw in the battery :laugh:

Love the extra real estate but gonna have to change DPI (things too big).

soccerdude77

Dec 11, 2009
I came from a G2 as well and for me it was a game changer. I did not have very good signal with the G2 but with the G3, I am now getting signal everywhere and even in places where I wouldn't imagine. I really like my G3!

Sent from my VS985 4G using XDA Free mobile app

jreed2560

Apr 14, 2010
I came from a G2 as well and for me it was a game changer. I did not have very good signal with the G2 but with the G3, I am now getting signal everywhere and even in places where I wouldn't imagine. I really like my G3!

Sent from my VS985 4G using XDA Free mobile app

I can second the boost in signal. My g2 was horrible at my house. G3 is a champ. Couple that with a larger screen, removable battery and expandable storage, a more premium feel and design that is the same as all other variants. (Something owners of the Verizon g2 had to deal with as far as cases) I think it's a worthy upgrade. Especially at the $99 price tag.

Sent from my VS985 4G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

giri0n

Apr 16, 2012
SoCal Baby
Ditto. ^^^^

If it wasn't for the $99, and I had to pay the $600, no way I'd switch. The G2's a great phone and will still be going strong a year from now. Heck, two years from now.

Double ditto here. I LOVED my G2 (on Verizon), and even though I'm only a week in with the G3, I still miss it (a little) - the G3's pros:

*screen is bigger
*removable back/battery/SD card
*stock ROM is more tolerable (though I still use Nova Launcher)
*lighter than G2/feels better/back isn't gross
*rear keys are much improved

For me, it was a no brainer - sold my G2 to a buddy, then used the profit to do alternate upgrade and swap out the phones. Made a little cash and got a newer, free phone. At $199 or full retail I probably would have held only my G2 though. I will say my G3 seems to handle the 3G/4G handoffs a little better, my G2 (where I work, I get horrible, horrible signal strength) would get hot during the day and often I would shut off mobile data to preserve the battery. The G3 will get me thru a day at work even with the terrible connection without shutting data off. The battery life is very acceptable, with a fully day of usage (yesterday as an example on a 50/50 mix of LTE & WiFi I got to just over 5 hours SOT, 16 hours off a charge and had 6% left, and did a fair bit of video streaming during that time) for my needs easily.

For free/cheap, I'd say do it if the size doesn't bother you. Someone else in the thread mentioned it doesn't LOOK bigger, but it FEELS bigger. I'd say that nails it right on the head. At full retail, I'd say stick with what you've got.

tech_head

Wife has the G2. I got it for her about 2 months ago.
If the G2 had a removable sd I would have gotten it over the GS4 I bought last year.
I came from a GS4.

Anyway, with the G2 and G3 side by side, you know they are both LG and Verizon.
G3 is a little taller but not much wider.
My wife has a bulkier case on her phone and I have a thin case on mine.
Now with them side by side they are about the same size.

If it's size you are worried about, I was too.
With the screen on the phone looks MASSIVE, because the screen is.
But on the positive, they were able to fit a phablet size screen in something that is about the same size as the G2, Galaxy S5 and the HTC One M8.

I wouldn't take my GS4 back if you paid me.
But the G3 as an upgrade to a G2??? Only if a removable battery and/or SD support is important.
Only the SD is important to me.

6bolt2g

Mar 9, 2011
I have to agree with 99% of the above statements. I went from a Note 2 to a G2 for a few months and now the G3. I really liked the smallness of the G2 compared to the bulk of the Note 2. Thought I was not going to like going back up to a 5.5 but LG made it more manageable. Overall upgrade from G2 to G3, I would not recommend unless you need the removable battery and SD card. No performance gain to be had, and some applications have proven it to take a hit between the two. I can imagine the screen makes for most of the performance hit. But it does look great and takes awesome pictures and video. The only reason I upgraded was the good price and the old G2 will be replacing a Nexus on another line.:good: