Info 2 [Mod] Unlock Verizon Hidden Menu

OP annoyingduck

21st July 2014, 05:55 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Boston, MA Area
Thanks Meter: 1,162

2,700 posts
More
-All credit for this method belongs to @xdabbeb from this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2467302 All I did was gather the necessary elements and test to see if this would work on the G3 as it did on the G2.
-Please thank him for the great work he has done for finding and executing this method originally for the Verizon G2.
-Another shout out to @rickleasa for extracting and providing the hiddenmenu.apk from the AT&T G3 rom.

So Verizon as usual has hidden some features from the stock lg rom that other variants have access to, in this case the hidden menu that is typically accessed via a code entered into the dialer. This method will unlock this option for us - though you will not be able to access it via the dialer (well, not that I know of...yet), its accessed through adb or terminal.

Step 1: Download the hiddenmenu.apk here: https://mega.co.nz/#!yUgmBRZK!Fy3Iq5...k8Q-LrTKFVFcGM or at the link at the bottom of the post. The apk is unaltered (not deodexed) from the AT&T build. The Odex file is not needed.

Step 2: Manually past the apk into system/app and set permissions to rw-r-r- using your preferred root file manager, then reboot.

Step 3: From adb: (assuming you have adb set up and operational) type adb shell (then enter), su (then enter), and enter the command, or from terminal: type su (then hit enter) to gain root, then enter the command (press enter after entering or pasting the command). Command here:

am start -a android.intent.action.MAIN -n com.lge.hiddenmenu/com.lge.hiddenmenu.HiddenMenu

-The hidden menu will then open up and your good to start breaking your phone as you see fit!!
-The most common use for this is to fix Knock-on if you ever break it (Flashing international ports has a tendency to break hardware functions). This is done by accessing the hidden menu and going to HW Device Test/Touch Test/Touch Firmware Upgrade. Wait 10 seconds after updating to see if the fix worked.
-You can do lots of damage in there so be careful!! There's also many other fun things to do as well.

If someone finds a dial code that will execute this menu after the apk is installed, please post it
Attached Files
File Type: apk HiddenMenu.apk - [Click for QR Code] (4.40 MB, 853 views)
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to annoyingduck For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st July 2014, 06:02 AM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Boston, MA Area

2,700 posts
More
Here's what you'll get:
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to annoyingduck For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st July 2014, 10:48 AM   |  #3  
Flag Rochester
Thanks Meter: 233

489 posts
More
##PROGRAM985, Call, Enter "000000" for code opens vzw field test. Still poking around for LG menu.

OG RAZR XT912 got 4.4 before S4!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ins5736 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st July 2014, 01:06 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 384

2,041 posts
More
anyway to tell band 4 from this menu?
21st July 2014, 01:37 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 25

159 posts
This can also be run from Android Terminal Emulator on the phone. I stuffed the "am..." line into a file called "hiddenmenu", put that in /system/bin/

-Launch Terminal Emulator
-su
-hiddenmenu
Hidden Menu will launch
Back in Terminal Emulator:
-exit
-exit

The above may also need busybox -- not sure, as I had already installed that app.
Last edited by markfm; 21st July 2014 at 03:20 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to markfm For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st July 2014, 03:45 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Boston, MA Area

2,700 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by markfm

This can also be run from Android Terminal Emulator on the phone. I stuffed the "am..." line into a file called "hiddenmenu", put that in /system/bin/

-Launch Terminal Emulator
-su
-hiddenmenu
Hidden Menu will launch
Back in Terminal Emulator:
-exit
-exit

The above may also need busybox -- not sure, as I had already installed that app.

Cool shortcut... Still hoping someone cracks the dialer entry.
21st July 2014, 03:47 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 21

326 posts
Is there any other way to block OTA's other then this menu?
21st July 2014, 04:12 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 25

159 posts
Anyone figure out how to turn off OTA using HiddenMenu on VZW?

There is a "Wi-Fi setting -LG" section, however when I select "OTA Setting" it throws an error, resets to the main menu page.

Alternately, I'm thinking perhaps use Titanium Backup to freeze "System updates 1_13_10_0"?

(Edit: I also froze keychain, as I've seen doing that mentioned several times. This could be good, bad, or indifferent, but i's what I've tried.)
Last edited by markfm; 21st July 2014 at 04:52 PM.
21st July 2014, 04:26 PM   |  #9  
Flag Rochester
Thanks Meter: 233

489 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by markfm

Anyone figure out how to turn off OTA using HiddenMenu on VZW?

There is a "Wi-Fi setting -LG" section, however when I select "OTA Setting" it throws an error, resets to the main menu page.

Alternately, I'm thinking perhaps use Titanium Backup to freeze "System updates 1_13_10_0"?

I was thinking TiBu myself. Haven't tried it yet. Froze all the other bloat

LG G3 flies faster than a G6
OG RAZR XT912 got 4.4 before S4
21st July 2014, 05:02 PM   |  #10  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 4,329

729 posts
Donate to Me
If ##LGSERVICEMENU doesn't work, then it's possible they changed it...Or more likely it's blocked again and will require a framework mod. If that's the case let me know.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread