VS985 All OTA files 11C through 48A and stock bloat count - updated 8/4/2016

Search This thread

DarkFamiliarity

Apr 7, 2012
Hey so I'm wondering, has anyone been able to update from 35b to 47a successfully using the kdz? If anyone did, did you select cse flash? Did you use any custom DLLs? Thanks

---------- Post added at 05:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 AM ----------

that well, and I will be downloading then count my results right here in the thread, thank you very much for the information

I would appreciate that very much

trinidaddysan

Mar 3, 2015
Hey so I'm wondering, has anyone been able to update from 35b to 47a successfully using the kdz? If anyone did, did you select cse flash? Did you use any custom DLLs? Thanks

---------- Post added at 05:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 AM ----------

I would appreciate that very much

You do not have to update by KDZ ? It happens when you do ?

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member

DarkFamiliarity

Apr 7, 2012
Yes.

No. There's no opportunity to use a different .DLL with KDZs anyway, at least not with LG Flash Tool 2014. The .DLL is inside the KDZ.

Thanks for the answers. I know I'm kinda being too paranoid about this but, in the case of a failure (lg flash tool crashing mid way, phone freezing or shutting off, etc) what are my backup options?
And as for CSE flash? do I need to clean flash?

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the answers. I know I'm kinda being too paranoid about this but, in the case of a failure (lg flash tool crashing mid way, phone freezing or shutting off, etc) what are my backup options?

You're welcome. As long as your phone is still being seen in Windows' Device Manager in the Modem section, as being in Download mode (even when the phone doesn't actually display anything but you went through the motions of putting it in Download mode), then KDZ and TOT with the appropriate tools are always available.

If you manage to brick the phone to a point where it's listed as QHSUSB_BULK 9008 mode (I think in the Ports section of Device Manager), then you'll have to Google that to find the instructions to recover from it.

And as for CSE flash? do I need to clean flash?

You might be able to dirty flash (Normal). Only trying will tell. Since you're upgrading it might be fine. I always CSE flash. As with any ROM, if you dirty flash and have trouble, then do a Factory Reset, which will be the same as having used the CSE option. Your internal storage will be wiped as well.

If you were downgrading (like if you were already on 47A and wanted to flash the 35B KDZ), you'd have to use CSE - you'd most assuredly have problems if you used Normal in that circumstance.

Reactions: DarkFamiliarity

DarkFamiliarity

Apr 7, 2012
You're welcome. As long as your phone is still being seen in Windows' Device Manager in the Modem section, as being in Download mode (even when the phone doesn't actually display anything but you went through the motions of putting it in Download mode), then KDZ and TOT with the appropriate tools are always available.

If you manage to brick the phone to a point where it's listed as QHSUSB_BULK 9008 mode (I think in the Ports section of Device Manager), then you'll have to Google that to find the instructions to recover from it.

You might be able to dirty flash (Normal). Only trying will tell. Since you're upgrading it might be fine. I always CSE flash. As with any ROM, if you dirty flash and have trouble, then do a Factory Reset, which will be the same as having used the CSE option. Your internal storage will be wiped as well.

If you were downgrading (like if you were already on 47A and wanted to flash the 35B KDZ), you'd have to use CSE - you'd most assuredly have problems if you used Normal in that circumstance.

Thank you for the answers, I will flash the update later* (maybe) and post my results in this thread. Once again, I am on 35B 5.1.1 and I assume I can directly upgrade to 47a without any issues. I'll use CSE anyways just to be on the safe side. Also I'm using a non verizon sim.. and I hope this wont cause any sim card/3g connectivity issues.

Update: After seeing stuff like http://xda-android-development.blogspot.in/2016/03/kdztot-flashing-fails-bricked-due-to.html , I'm not sure I want to go ahead with this. And on the forums I've seen lots of posts of the LG flash tool crashing mid way

Last edited:

DarkFamiliarity

Apr 7, 2012
If you manage to brick the phone to a point where it's listed as QHSUSB_BULK 9008 mode

Just one last thing: If my phone or flash tool crashes in the middle and I have no way of seeing it from the PC, is there a way to unbrick? Sorry about the excessive questions but a replacement phone is definitely out of the question for another year or so. Don't want to brick this phone just yet, I just got it

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Just one last thing: If my phone or flash tool crashes in the middle and I have no way of seeing it from the PC, is there a way to unbrick? Sorry about the excessive questions but a replacement phone is definitely out of the question for another year or so. Don't want to brick this phone just yet, I just got it

If you can't see it from the PC, then no - not that I'm aware of. I've never heard of a situation like this, though, unless someone didn't have the right drivers installed.

Every time we do things with the phone like flashing or rooting there's a chance that something will go wrong. If you absolutely cannot afford for your phone to become unusable, or at least can't afford the time/research necessary to make it usable again if something does go wrong, then don't mess with it. Nothing I can say can guarantee anything.

I've never had a problem on this phone that I couldn't recover from one way or another. A couple of months ago was the first time I had to recover from QHSUSB_BULK 9008 mode...twice, but it wasn't that big a deal, just a slight hassle. I've never lost my IMEI either, but there have been enough other people who have when flashing a TOT (not sure if it's happened when flashing a KDZ), that it remains a possibility. I backup my IMEI with TWRP, but if you don't have that there's other more difficult ways to recover.

I've also never had one of the flashing tools crash in the middle that I remember. I've seen a few reports where others have. Unless it crashed while it happened to be flashing the relatively tiny laf.img (Download mode partition), then Download mode should be intact. If it did crash while flashing Download mode, probably or hopefully it would instead put you in QHSUSB_BULK 9008 mode, which is recoverable too - just a different way.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarkFamiliarity

DarkFamiliarity

Apr 7, 2012
If you can't see it from the PC, then no - not that I'm aware of. I've never heard of a situation like this, though, unless someone didn't have the right drivers installed.

Every time we do things with the phone like flashing or rooting there's a chance that something will go wrong. If you absolutely cannot afford for your phone to become unusable, or at least can't afford the time/research necessary to make it usable again if something does go wrong, then don't mess with it. Nothing I can say can guarantee anything.

I've never had a problem on this phone that I couldn't recover from one way or another. A couple of months ago was the first time I had to recover from QHSUSB_BULK 9008 mode...twice, but it wasn't that big a deal, just a slight hassle. I've never lost my IMEI either, but there have been enough other people who have when flashing a TOT (not sure if it's happened when flashing a KDZ), that it remains a possibility. I backup my IMEI with TWRP, but if you don't have that there's other more difficult ways to recover.

I've also never had one of the flashing tools crash in the middle that I remember. I've seen a few reports where others have. Unless it crashed while it happened to be flashing the relatively tiny laf.img (Download mode partition), then Download mode should be intact. If it did crash while flashing Download mode, probably or hopefully it would instead put you in QHSUSB_BULK 9008 mode, which is recoverable too - just a different way.
I went ahead and flashed the kdz after reading your reply, and I guess it worked. Once again, thanks for all your help, the phone is now optimizing apps. Upgrade went quite smoothly (tool stopped responding midway (mini heart attack) but then got back to normal) and hopefully things will be fine with the software.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I went ahead and flashed the kdz after reading your reply, and I guess it worked. Once again, thanks for all your help, the phone is now optimizing apps. Upgrade went quite smoothly (tool stopped responding midway (mini heart attack) but then got back to normal) and hopefully things will be fine with the software.

You're welcome! Glad it went as planned.

minhas729

Oct 26, 2014
lahore
Cant send PM to you what's the reason bdw?
Trying to reach you for a long time

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

minhas729

Oct 26, 2014
lahore
I have PMs turned off because too many people try to ask me questions for help in private instead of searching or posting a public question where anyone can help. What's up?
I guess you know me from g+ .. Hangouts plz? If its fine

---------- Post added at 06:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 PM ----------

I have PMs turned off because too many people try to ask me questions for help in private instead of searching or posting a public question where anyone can help. What's up?
In short can you make 47A boot.img extracted from stock kdz (the stock one) available to your AFH.. The rest will discuss later. Please.. Thts all needed for the time

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
In short can you make 47A boot.img extracted from stock kdz (the stock one) available to your AFH.. The rest will discuss later. Please.. Thts all needed for the time

I already have the partitions extracted and on AFH in the IMGs folder. Just go my KDZ folder I link to at the bottom of @annoyingduck 's stickied return to stock thread and I think you can navigate upwards to go the folder level above where I have the KDZs, you'll see IMGs there, and inside there is a subfolder for several stock versions, inside each one are two 7-Zips, one of the fully stock system.img and the other relatively small 7-Zip of all the other partitions including boot.img.

It's also really, really easy to extract them using WIndowsLGFirmwareExtract available on XDA, or use BoardDiag.

Reactions: minhas729

minhas729

Oct 26, 2014
lahore
I already have the partitions extracted and on AFH in the IMGs folder. Just go my KDZ folder I link to at the bottom of @annoyingduck 's stickied return to stock thread and I think you can navigate upwards to go the folder level above where I have the KDZs, you'll see IMGs there, and inside there is a subfolder for several stock versions, inside each one are two 7-Zips, one of the fully stock system.img and the other relatively small 7-Zip of all the other partitions including boot.img.

It's also really, really easy to extract them using WIndowsLGFirmwareExtract available on XDA, or use BoardDiag.
Thanks a lot bro.. I will take those from there. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have no idea if these will be any use to anyone. We were able to manually apply the 10B to 11C, 11C to 12B, and 12B to 23C OTA files but I didn't have any luck trying to do the same with the 23C to 24B OTA file so I don't expect anything since then to work either.

If anyone tries or figures out a way to apply the 24B, 35B, 46A or 47A OTA manually to an unrooted VS985, I'm sure some who both don't root their phone and also don't use Verizon will be made happy. If anyone does test it or figure out how to manually apply it, let me know and I'll post a link to your method.

The files are captured from root/cache/fota after downloading, but before applying the update.

All of the following OTA files are available in my section on Android File Host at https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=35187. Thanks to everyone who has made us aware of upcoming OTAs.

Verizon_LG_G3_-_VS985_10B_03_TOT_(not_10B_01_KDZ)_to11C_OTA_-_4.4.2_-_KitKat.7z
    Verizon_LG_G3_-_VS985_11Cto12B_OTA_-_4.4.2_-_KitKat.7z
    Verizon_LG_G3_-_VS985_12Bto23C_OTA_-_5.0.1_-_Lollipop.7z
    Verizon_LG_G3_-_VS985_23Cto24B_OTA_-_5.0.1_-_Lollipop.7z
    Verizon_LG_G3_-_VS985_24Bto35B_OTA_-_5.1.1_-_Lollipop.7z
    Verizon_LG_G3_-_VS985_35Bto46A_OTA_-_6.0.0_-_Marshmallow_-_2-16-2016.7z
    Verizon_LG_G3_-_VS985_46Ato47A_OTA_-_6.0.0_-_Marshmallow_-_3-24-2016.7z
    Verizon_LG_G3_-_VS985_47Ato48A_OTA_-_6.0.0_-_Marshmallow_-_8-4-2016.7z

Stock bloat count:
    47A - 224 apps optimizing
    48A - 223

The updates through 23C will work if you're rooted as long as everything else is completely official stock. No custom kernel, no custom recovery, etc. You won't have root once you use the OTA to get you to 23C, however, plus the About Software menu will show your status as "Modified" due to the prior root.

I haven't had any luck so far trying to implement the method of manually applying the OTAs (starting with 23Cto24B) without root by way of @xdabbeb 's instructions in these two threads. I don't know what else to try.

By the way, I had no idea before now that @xdabbeb was the one who had discovered and made guides to this method.

VS98024A - OTA manual install + Patched Stock Kernels

and

VS980 Resources - Bootstacks/Modems/Manual OTA/etc at the bottom of the first post in the section "Manual OTA".

I've tried both via Activity Launcher and ADB without any success. The black screen with the blue lettering "FOTA Easy Update" pops up but eventually goes away without it doing anything. The best I've gotten is possibly a reboot with a notification saying Software Update Failed after the reboot.

In summary, these instructions will ONLY work up through the 12Bto23C OTA.

1. Create a folder on your internal storage called "SoftwareUpdate", exactly like that.
    2. Put the largest file for the OTA you want to apply (will only work on the "from" version, i.e. the 12Bto24B will only work if you have official and with no custom recovery stock 12B) in the folder from step #1.
    3. Rename the file so that it has the extension ".up" at the end. In other words, rename "dlpkgfile" to "12Bto24B.up", just for example.
    4. You can use an app in the Play Store called Activity Launcher (there are probably other methods) to start the OTA process by finding the right activity in the list. I don't remember the exact specifics but if I have time sometime, I'll post details and screenshots.

If anyone has any corrections for my instructions, please let me know.

If anyone can find a way to apply the 24B and later OTAs manually, they will require 100% completely official UNrooted (and never rooted since the last time you used a KDZ or TOT) stock, and again with no custom recovery or kernel.

Thanks to @DeanGibson for providing the OTA update PDFs (Verizon started using HTML pages instead of PDFs after 24B).
    It is the same as finding the activity only doing it through adb shell, because when I try to start the activity directly from the phone it tells me permission denied. I still dont know if it will complete because i myself can't do it, but if you wanna try you have to be completely unmodded.
    I am now 48a, kdz,,,I found that it cannot be root, so I want to flash back 10b... But TOT show that "Model Information Check FAIL" even though I used several LGUP8974.dll , how I can flash back ? I am so sorry that my english is not good...Thanks !

I'm going to assume something but you need to check to make sure. Open your phone and remove your battery. Check to see what the model number is. It should be VS985. However, what follows the numbers? Is the last character a K? If so, you can't downgrade to 10b. These are new models of the VS985 with probably new firmware that will not allow you to flash back to 10b and bump it. They've been updated to block the ability to downgrade and bump your phone.

If it doesn't end in a K, then you might try downloading all the necessary files again. Maybe something was corrupted.
    I downloading the file now... I let you guys know how to install...:D

(I'm on T-mobile network . Can't update via OTA)
    Thanks, but still no VS985 35B ota file?

When 35B originally came out, I wasn't motivated enough to capture the OTA files since I didn't have any luck with trying to manually apply the 24B OTA and I figured it hadn't improved with 35B.

I guess for completeness sake I'll capture the 24Bto35B OTA and put it up too. I have copies of the 10Bto11C and 11Cto12B ones too, so same with them.

I'll post here when 24Bto35B is up. Not sure if it'll be tonight, tomorrow or when.

I guess this will become the OTA repository.