• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 1,651
  • Screenshot_2016-02-16-12-15-01.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-02-16-12-15-01.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 1,620
Last edited:

iBolski

Download the " software upgrade assistant tool " from verizon website. Install and run it on your computer. Then connect your phone to computer and check for software update in the downloaded software

Or go to Settings->System Updates->Check for new system update.

Remember, we're talking specifically about the Verizon LG G3 (VS985) so if you have a different phone (AT&T, overseas, etc), then it's a different story there.

Also, these get sent out in batches, possibly based on your IMEI number, so if you haven't received it yet, you need to be patient. I got mine around 1 pm EST yesterday.

So far, so good. I'm about ready to turn off Greenify and SnapDragon BatteryGuru, but even at this point, I went to bed with 93% left on the battery. Woke up 6 hours later and it went down to 92%. Since going back to stock (from Jasmine ROM) in an unrooted state, I was still dropping 3% to 5% over the same period when going to bed. Upgrading to Marshmallow, still in an unrooted state and still running Greenify and BatteryGuru, I'm back to where I was with Jasmine ROM (almost). With Jasmine, I didn't drop 1% over night when it was sitting there unused, but definitely, Dozer mode seems to work as advertised.

So at this point, my only gripe is with how they mount the external SD card now. Not sure why and I've searched to see if there's a way to override that, but so far, I haven't found anything. Makes it very difficult to remember (for me anyways) to go to /storage/3894-D900 but I'll keep digging.

Also, from what I understand, with the G3, you cannot make your external SD card "appear" to part of your internal memory which could be a good thing anyways since you have to reformat your SD Card to encrypt it. Plus, SD Cards are slower than internal memory and I'm using it to store pictures and music and backups, so no loss there for me.

Otherwise, so far, an excellent OTA. I must say again how I feel the G3 so far has been the best Android phone I've had yet. Definitely beats my RAZR HD I had previously, as well as my RAZR MAXX (but those were two of my favorite phones before this one).

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Or go to Settings->System Updates->Check for new system update.

@andy_zhang can't get the OTAs that way because he's not using a Verizon SIM, although trying to get it the first way probably won't work either, for the same reason.
@andy_zhang , you'll most likely have to wait for a KDZ if you don't want to flash a custom ROM.

patt2k

Mar 22, 2009
A friend of mine did the update and has bunch of problems from what she told me. Can't call is one example.

akki7636

Apr 5, 2015
Hisar
@andy_zhang can't get the OTAs that way because he's not using a Verizon SIM, although trying to get it the first way probably won't work either, for the same reason.
@andy_zhang , you'll most likely have to wait for a KDZ if you don't want to flash a custom ROM.
Im from india and i updated to 35b via software assistant tool... Im at work now but i ll let you know if its working for this update too..

iBolski

Now, I might be crazy, but something I've noticed that I don't believe was there before when adb shelling in is using the TAB key to auto-complete file and directory names. That's something that is present in UNIX CLI shells but I had noticed it wasn't there in Android (at least in previous incarnations).

After this MM update, that works! Thank goodness. Makes navigating around those long directory names so much easier now with less typing and wear and tear on my fingers. :D

bwalz

Aug 7, 2013
Google Pixel 7
So far so good. I haven't performed a factory reset just to see if any issues would arise. The only issue I've had is the family base companion has force closed but I never used it and I was able to uninstall the app.

Only updated features I've noticed are:

UI update for the settings menu
Pressing the power button results in a new reboot UI
Time/Date header has a smaller font size
Animations much faster
Battery life is much better
A few new updates to system icons
Updated Dialer/Contacts UI
Speakerphone is louder

I'm sure there's more I'm missing but that's what I've noticed.

Last edited:

Cane929

Feb 10, 2016
I also installed MM and so far love it.
I mentioned in another thread, had a problem with connecting to car via Bluetooth, resetting all device setting in the Factory reset menu fixed it nicely.
Love the G3 so far, great phone.

rymaos

Feb 18, 2016
when i try to update my G3 vs985 to the marshmallow with the verizon wierless upgrade tool, the tool check to phone information and shows me that an upgrade is available but once the check is over it says the the phone is update ( i'm running on the 5.1.1 35B)
Any help for this issue
ps: i'm an algerien user

akki7636

Apr 5, 2015
Hisar
when i try to update my G3 vs985 to the marshmallow with the verizon wierless upgrade tool, the tool check to phone information and shows me that an upgrade is available but once the check is over it says the the phone is update ( i'm running on the 5.1.1 35B)
Any help for this issue
Verizon sofware assistant is not yet working for this update..
You can try another way but im not sure about it..
Download Lg mobile support tool and run it on your computer...
Connect your phone to PC and click on "option " tab which is in downloaded software.
In Option Menu click on update recovery....
It will start downloading the update but i cant confirm this update is of marshmallow or not.
Update size is 1678Mb

Make sure to backup personal data before updating.
PS- Do not uninstall verizon software assistant as it contains phone drivers which will help you to connect your phone to Lg Mobile Support software

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Any help for this issue
It's normal and common behavior that at first it says there's an update and then says there's not. You just have to wait until they make the KDZ available for the tool to download.

Do the official tools usually work for you even without using a Verizon SIM card?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So far so good. I haven't performed a factory reset just to see if any issues would arise. The only issue I've had is the family base companion has force closed but I never used it and I was able to uninstall the app.

Only updated features I've noticed are:

UI update for the settings menu
    Pressing the power button results in a new reboot UI
    Time/Date header has a smaller font size
    Animations much faster
    Battery life is much better
    A few new updates to system icons
    Updated Dialer/Contacts UI
    Speakerphone is louder

I'm sure there's more I'm missing but that's what I've noticed.
    Connect your phone to PC and click on "option " tab which is in downloaded software.
    It will start downloading the update but i cant confirm this update is of marshmallow or not.
    Update size is 1678Mb

PS- Do not uninstall verizon software assistant as it contains phone drivers which will help you to connect your phone to Lg Mobile Support software
    I'm downloading the update but I tjink that is the lollipop not the marshmallow because i've already downloedd the lollipop and it is 1.63 Gb

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 AM ----------

It's normal and common behavior that at first it says there's an update and then says there's not. You just have to wait until they make the KDZ available for the tool to download.

Do the official tools usually work for you even without using a Verizon SIM card?

Yes, it works without the verizon sim card, before when i was running the lollipop 5.0 i updated to the 5.1.1 with this verizon tool
    thanks.
    After this MM update, that works! Thank goodness. Makes navigating around those long directory names so much easier now with less typing and wear and tear on my fingers. :D

Nice! Thanks!
    Any help for this issue
    Update size is 1678Mb