Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,688 Members 40,734 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Buggy software?

Tip us?

moonfarm
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Buggy software?

Good afternoon-

Great phone, but has anyone else had bad operating system luck? Seems like my phone is freezing and/or locking up daily, and needs to be re-booted. If it were windows I'd call it a BSOD incident. My S3 running Paranoid Android nightlies was even more stable than this.

Tim

trent999
Old
Thanks Meter 74
I am not having problems like you report at all. The only lockups I had were during the brief period when I ran under ART, and they went away completely after I switched back to Dalvik. Note that under ART my G3 got really hot...

That is what I think is causing most of these phones troubles. I think they were designed in a way that is prone to overheating issues. I also think the designers tried their best to avoid overheating through throttling - which causes some performance degradation, and doesn't always work anyway.

Minor assembly differences could be causing major differences in how different G3s heat-load. This could explain why some owners who have reported lockup issues like yours have gotten much improvement by exchanging their phone, which is what I suggest you do if you can.

Mistertac
Old
Thanks Meter 1,559

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonfarm View Post
Good afternoon-

Great phone, but has anyone else had bad operating system luck? Seems like my phone is freezing and/or locking up daily, and needs to be re-booted. If it were windows I'd call it a BSOD incident. My S3 running Paranoid Android nightlies was even more stable than this.

Tim
I agree with Trent. Seems some G3s just don't run well. Mine runs great. I have it rooted with xposed and have removed the bloat and no issues at all. I couldn't be happier.

I've even played some games for the first time on my smartphone including Asphalt 8 and I've played it for about an hour non stop the other night while I had time to kill and still no issues, the game played great, phone didn't heat up and get laggy.... Nothing. It just played.

Hard to say really what's causing the issues for some, could be a funky device, maybe a factory reset would help... Maybe people also should take a look at what apps and widgets they have running as well prior to thinking the phone is junk lol not saying that's you, just an idea

- Tapatalked from the G3

tech_head
Old
Thanks Meter 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonfarm View Post
Good afternoon-

Tim
No problems with mine.
What apps and widget are you using?

moonfarm
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_head View Post
No problems with mine.
What apps and widget are you using?
It's a pretty random problem, hasn't happened for a couple of days. I run a pretty lean system, not a lot of apps or widgets. Maybe getting rid of some bloat would help. Thanks all, nice to know it's not something everyone is going through. I'm enjoying the phone more than I thought I would, been on the S series since the first Galaxy Fascinate, so this was a bit of a leap. The combo of Knox and Touchwiz did me in...

Tim

b0bj0e
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I'm wondering if the accessibility service has anything to do with these random shutdowns. I've never turned on ART, but with several xposed mods, tweaksbox, and some debloating, my phone seemed stable for the first few weeks I owned it. One day I had a random reboot. It didn't happen again for a week or so, and then it happened once more. A few days later I noticed one of my tasker scripts (which reroutes gmail notification sounds through the headset iff the headset is connected) wasn't working. I checked the tasker accessibility service and it had turned itself off. After re-enabling it, my random shutdowns soon returned.

Anyone care to try ART with all accessibility services uninstalled? This would include talkback.