Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,018 Members 44,302 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Changing SMS Notification Sound

Tip us?

pablomoca
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Changing SMS Notification Sound

Does anyone know of a way to change the Notification Sound for a contact individually? I know I can change the sound on the SMS app, but all of my contacts will play the same sound when I get a text. This was an issue on the LG G2 for Verizon also. I like the standard messaging app and would rather not install a 3rd party app. Any ideas would be awesome. Thanks.

Anthony825
Old
Thanks Meter 19
As far as I'm aware, if you go in to your contacts and click edit or whatever, there should be an option to change the notification sound for that contact specifically. Hope I helped! Let me know if it works for you!

pablomoca
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony825 View Post
As far as I'm aware, if you go in to your contacts and click edit or whatever, there should be an option to change the notification sound for that contact specifically. Hope I helped! Let me know if it works for you!
The only other option that comes up besides "Ringtone" is "Notification LED". Other than that I cannot find an option to change the notification sound.

shollywood
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablomoca View Post
The only other option that comes up besides "Ringtone" is "Notification LED". Other than that I cannot find an option to change the notification sound.
Go into messaging, not Verizon one, but standard, click on 3 dots in top right corner, clicke settings, notification, 4th one down is notification sound.

pablomoca
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by shollywood View Post
Go into messaging, not Verizon one, but standard, click on 3 dots in top right corner, clicke settings, notification, 4th one down is notification sound.
Thanks for the reply. I know I can change the notification sound that way, but the problem with that is it will still have the same sound for all contacts. I want to change the SMS sounds on an individual contact bases thanks for the suggestion though.

angelwings223
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Does anyone know of a way to change the Notification Sound for a contact individually? I know I can change the sound on the SMS app, but all of my contacts will play the same sound when I get a text. This was an issue on the LG G2 for Verizon also. I like the standard messaging app and would rather not install a 3rd party app. Any ideas would be awesome. Thanks.

The only way is to download a third party app..If you use the verizon one it will let you set up separate ones however when the thread is deleted so is the setting for that person.. Hoping they fix this..

WhiteEVO
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
contact alert works great.

pablomoca
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteEVO View Post
contact alert works great.
The app rating isn't that great but I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

WhiteEVO
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
The app rating isn't that great but I'll give it a shot. Thanks.
I know, but it worked great for me. I'm using handcent now, more customization.