Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,684 Members 48,112 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Custom Boot Animation

Tip us?

JellyWoo
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Custom Boot Animation

How do you change the boot animation for the G3? I tried the standard way of replacing the bootanimation.zip file in system/media, then changing the permissions, but it doesn't seem to be working. When I reboot the system, there is only a black screen while booting. Also, does anyone have a backup of the original boot animation? I forgot to make a backup while playing around with it.

LgG2-Ttrain
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I have had that some problem before also I just kept trying others until one worked. As far as the stock one I just renamed mine, I try not to delete that stuff. If no one helps you out I can get you a link when I get home tonight.
The Following User Says Thank You to LgG2-Ttrain For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bunchies
Old
Thanks Meter 614

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyWoo View Post
How do you change the boot animation for the G3? I tried the standard way of replacing the bootanimation.zip file in system/media, then changing the permissions, but it doesn't seem to be working. When I reboot the system, there is only a black screen while booting. Also, does anyone have a backup of the original boot animation? I forgot to make a backup while playing around with it.
Which one were you trying to use, the desc file could have been incorrect or something with the images could be causing it
naming/placement

heres a stock one
when copying a new one over, just rename the stock one to bootanimation.bak & leave it in the media folder
Attached Files
File Type: zip bootanimation.zip - [Click for QR Code] (17.40 MB, 11 views)

\(^-^)/ ... * ROOTED * ... \(^-^)/
Check out my apps
The Following User Says Thank You to bunchies For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JellyWoo
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunchies View Post
Which one were you trying to use, the desc file could have been incorrect or something with the images could be causing it
naming/placement

heres a stock one
when copying a new one over, just rename the stock one to bootanimation.bak & leave it in the media folder
Thanks! I usually make a backup, but forgot to. I was trying to get this one to work: reddit.com/r/Android/comments/2ac4f2/i_made_a_marvel_dc_character_loop_boot_animation/

bunchies
Old
Thanks Meter 614

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyWoo View Post
Thanks! I usually make a backup, but forgot to. I was trying to get this one to work: reddit.com/r/Android/comments/2ac4f2/i_made_a_marvel_dc_character_loop_boot_animation/
Well i tried multiple edits of the desc file and it seems to be the pictures themselves
they're 480x800, i swear i remember being able to use lower resolution images for a bootanimation and it would still work but i think im mistaken

so request a 1440x2560 version
i have a batch file somewhere to automatically resize a list of images but i feel like it would stretch the images and make them look horrible

\(^-^)/ ... * ROOTED * ... \(^-^)/
Check out my apps

JellyWoo
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunchies View Post
Well i tried multiple edits of the desc file and it seems to be the pictures themselves
they're 480x800, i swear i remember being able to use lower resolution images for a bootanimation and it would still work but i think im mistaken

so request a 1440x2560 version
i have a batch file somewhere to automatically resize a list of images but i feel like it would stretch the images and make them look horrible
Darn. Thanks for trying!

IamPro
Old
Thanks Meter 219
Was doing it manually but too much work, now I just use Boot Animations app.. Much quicker

phobos512
Old
Thanks Meter 55
So not sure if this has been figured out or not but I was playing around with this last night. I attempted to use the Red Helix boot animation from this thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1002893

I pulled the boot .zip file out of the flashable zip and downloaded it to my phone and moved it over with Root Explorer, changing the permissions to match the original file (which I saved and appended with .bak). Upon boot however, only the repeating portion plays.

As you all know the stock boot animation is four different sets of files, two for the Quick Circle case and two for the full screen. Each is the loading animation (plays once) and then the waiting animation (repeating until the home screen is ready). In the new boot animation I tried it's just a full screen loading and a full screen waiting animation in two folders. However as I stated above only the repeating portion plays for both the loading and waiting periods (I can tell when it switches as the screen flashes black in between). I tried matching the folder structure in my zip file to the stock animation (four folders and associated config file) but that resulted in the phone staying on the LG screen until the home screen was ready. I can't figure out how to get the actual loading portion of the animation to play. I don't mind just the repeating portion playing (it's a red Android mascot with a white/red light going in a circle underneath and looks pretty cool) but I'd still like to see the full animation.

Any ideas? Might it be related to the desired frame rate (45 vice stock 30)?
Currently: VZW LG G3 (VS985) || Previous Smartphones: iPhone 5S; iPhone 5; Motorola Droid RAZR HD MAXX; Motorola Droid RAZR HD; HTC One X; HTC One V; Motorola Atrix 4G; HTC EVO 4G; HTC Aria; HTC Touch Pro; Palm Treo 650

sentry_mode_activated
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamPro View Post
Was doing it manually but too much work, now I just use Boot Animations app.. Much quicker
Which one did you use?

IamPro
Old
Thanks Meter 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentry_mode_activated View Post
Which one did you use?
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...0&postcount=96

The Following User Says Thank You to IamPro For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]