Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,799 Members 38,373 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Verizon G3 Hotspot hack

Tip us?

brochild
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Default 2 gig plan

I have a 2 gig plan.
Does that mean with the hack I can have a hotspot that is limited to 2 gig?

rhyzar
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by brochild View Post
I have a 2 gig plan.
Correct - your hotspot is tied to your phone's data plan.

markfm
Old
Thanks Meter 16
If you have a limited data plan, you might be able to just activate the standard phone hotspot function, at no added charge. It is people with unlimited data who need a third-party app or a mod, I believe (based on other posts).

CMoney408
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default 143

Quote:
Originally Posted by brochild View Post
I have a 2 gig plan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markfm View Post
If you have a limited data plan, you might be able to just activate the standard phone hotspot function, at no added charge. It is people with unlimited data who need a third-party app or a mod, I believe (based on other posts).
correct, i think it was the FCC that forced carriers to make the hotspot feature free (if you have limited data, whether it be 2gb or 10+GB). but companies can/do still charge people for the hotspot feature if they have unlimited data. i think its like an additional $30 PER MONTH to use your already unlimited data with the hotspot.

diljosh
Old
Thanks Meter 6
http://www.droidviews.com/how-to-ena...n-lg-g2-vs980/

Shouldn't the LG G2 method work for this too, you don't have change the password on that one

markfm
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by diljosh View Post
http://www.droidviews.com/how-to-ena...n-lg-g2-vs980/

Shouldn't the LG G2 method work for this too, you don't have change the password on that one
That's what the apk in this thread is, the one from the g2

There's some down in the mud difference in the implementation between g2 and g3 that means those of us on g3 have to touch the settings, while those on g2 running the same apk mod don't.

swcunn
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Default Hotspot Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj522 View Post
Can anyone confirms this works? I tried and when I turn on mobile hotspot, it just doesn't work or turn on, no errors or anything. I allowed the right permissions and removed the odex and apk originals.
I can confirm for you that this works. I did it this morning and tested with my deactivated GSIII over WIFI. Got great 4G download speeds. Just wondering, after you turn off WIFI, then long press the hotspot icon, the turn on hotspot. Are you going back into setup and changing the password? If you don't do it every time that you turn it on it will not work.

Enigmafied
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Thanks much, working great.

Enable the hotspot, nothing happens at this point. Click into Set Up, change from whatever it is to anything of the following as long as it's different:
Auto select, 1, 6, 11, save, ok, and works seconds later. Can be turned off normally.

Tags
hotspot, verizon, verizon hotspot hack, vs985 hotspot