[Q] General Questions Reguarding the bootloader process, sideloading and bump

Search This thread

Wildcat2083

Dec 18, 2010
Lubbock
Ok here goes .... I have a few questions in regards to the whole boot loader process with this phone, coming from various android phones throughout the smartphone world id have to say ive gained some ample experience, however after reading through the forums trying to gain a understanding of what's what, Ive been out of the dev loop for awhile and have fell behind on the new techniques.

What im trying to classify is whats going on with the boot loader for this phone currently, Ive seen the pledges for a unlocked boot loader and some of the posts regarding the partition and hex info so i am aware work is in the works, but what is confusing me is then now seeing the bump thread and the video tut, is that not the recovery or boot loader unlocked or am i confused on this matter, sorry for the possible redundant question, i am just trying to get a basic sense of what all has been achieved with this phone thus far, im about the purchase the Verizon variant and would love to contribute to the work going on

bobcat987

Mar 31, 2011
Ok here goes .... I have a few questions in regards to the whole boot loader process with this phone, coming from various android phones throughout the smartphone world id have to say ive gained some ample experience, however after reading through the forums trying to gain a understanding of what's what, Ive been out of the dev loop for awhile and have fell behind on the new techniques.

What im trying to classify is whats going on with the boot loader for this phone currently, Ive seen the pledges for a unlocked boot loader and some of the posts regarding the partition and hex info so i am aware work is in the works, but what is confusing me is then now seeing the bump thread and the video tut, is that not the recovery or boot loader unlocked or am i confused on this matter, sorry for the possible redundant question, i am just trying to get a basic sense of what all has been achieved with this phone thus far, im about the purchase the Verizon variant and would love to contribute to the work going on
If you're brand new to the g3 board, your confusion is understandable. The bootloader unlock, bump!, was released less than a week ago. With this unlock you can flash any rom image, the lone caveat being that non stock kernels need to be bumped via a service the devs will release in a week or so. They have been necessarily vague (to increase the time it takes lg to patch the exploit) about what it means to bump! a kernel image. Because the unlock is so new, we're all still anxiously waiting on the custom roms to pour in.