Different Root Methods

OP Hyper_Warp

21st August 2014, 06:43 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 12

131 posts
Besides they all roots the phone and different ways to root the phone; any difference between those methods? Like will one cause a phone to random reboot more often (stability), battery drain, wifi, wireless signal changes, performance, etc.
  • IOroot
  • PurpleDrake-Lite
  • Stump Root

thank you
21st August 2014, 12:58 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 32

55 posts
PurpleDrake won't work with the VS985 (Verizon) version. I used IOroot on my phone because it was the only option at the time, but I would say go with Stump Root now as it is easier/faster. In general the only thing these root methods do is exploit a security vulnerability to install the su binary on the system partition, and that is the only lasting effect. With su installed, it is possible to assume root privilege. Random reboots, battery drain, wifi, wireless signal changes, and performance loss are not directly affected by root; however it is possible that an app that uses root privilege could impact these, so be careful what you install.
The Following User Says Thank You to bobcat987 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st August 2014, 08:42 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 19

181 posts
More
I used the stump root method because it came out the day after I got my phone and I'm lazy as hell. Any phone I've ever rooted has had multiple methods and they all do the same exact thing. So I wouldn't worry too much about it. @bobcat987 I couldn't have it it better myself.
The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony825 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st August 2014, 10:10 PM   |  #4  
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 311

1,041 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper_Warp

Besides they all roots the phone and different ways to root the phone; any difference between those methods? Like will one cause a phone to random reboot more often (stability), battery drain, wifi, wireless signal changes, performance, etc.

• IOroot
  • PurpleDrake-Lite
  • Stump Root

thank you

No. These different methods exploit a vulnerability that allows them to gain "root" to modify the file system to place the "su" binary on the system which in turn allows you to get privileged/superuser access.

These methods, although different, do essentially the same thing and leave "su" behind.
None of them affect the things you are talking about.
The Following User Says Thank You to tech_head For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd August 2014, 02:47 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 12

131 posts
Thumbs up
Ok, thank you everyone for the responds and information!
23rd August 2014, 02:14 PM   |  #6  
Detroit
Thanks Meter: 52

544 posts
More
I used stump root. Works like a charm.
23rd August 2014, 02:28 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 265

2,556 posts
Is it pretty easy to reverse the root? My past couple phones I haven't rooted(sorta because it was difficulty, moto x), but also cause I've trying to get away from it because I was spending too much time on it lol. So I'm a little out of the loop, but is it pretty easy to reverse the root? In case of an update or something of that sort. I mainly want like wifi tether, ad block.
23rd August 2014, 03:43 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 81

428 posts
To unroot, you have to uninstall both su and whatever superuser app you are using to manage app access to su.
Otherwise you would have to flash the original TOT file to completely return the phone to fresh as shipped, and that is not exactly "easy".

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread