[Q] Screen Coming Loose

Search This thread

GTiceman

Dec 3, 2007
Hello Everyone,

I did a search but I didn't see anyone else posting something about this, but it seems likes my display glass is starting to separate from my phone about halfway down the body. The glass is now a hair higher that the actual plastic body on the left and I can physically push it down and the screen actually shows a wave, like when pressing too hard on an LCD or touching a non-touchscreen. I was wondering if anyone else was having this issue?

I am trying to determine my best option for warranty service as I used the transfer the upgrade trick on VZW and don't want to throw up any red flags. I also want to keep my battery door because I have the wireless charging sticker on it.

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
Hello Everyone,

I did a search but I didn't see anyone else posting something about this, but it seems likes my display glass is starting to separate from my phone about halfway down the body. The glass is now a hair higher that the actual plastic body on the left and I can physically push it down and the screen actually shows a wave, like when pressing too hard on an LCD or touching a non-touchscreen. I was wondering if anyone else was having this issue?

I am trying to determine my best option for warranty service as I used the transfer the upgrade trick on VZW and don't want to throw up any red flags. I also want to keep my battery door because I have the wireless charging sticker on it.

Well that's no good! Sorry to hear that, I've not seen anywhere online either where people are having that problem.

As far as your options go though... Not sure you have many. You can either pay someone to replace the screen, if it's repairable and you can find someone.... Or obviously you'd have to just go for the insurance... I'm curious, how would you throw up any red flags if in fact there is something as obviously detected as your screen? I've not done the " upgrade trick " myself so bear with me if that's a silly question.

GTiceman

Dec 3, 2007
Well I might be able to get replaced under Manufacturer Warranty as there are no signs of damage. I also do not have insurance on the phone.

sumepls

Mar 11, 2009
I'm having the same problem, the middle left edge of my screen is lifting up (very slightly) as well. Light bleeds through the edge of the screen and the lcd changes color when I press with moderate pressure. I plan on contacting Verizon for warranty support tmrw.

Last edited:

sumepls

Mar 11, 2009
So I spoke to VZW and they told me that the screen lifting off from the bezel is considered a physical defect rather than a manufacturers defect so it is not covered under warranty support. FWIW my phone has not sustained any major drops or any major damage at all...

Chilidog

Oct 6, 2013
Do you guys have the qi sticker on yours? Mine does and it's a really tight fit... I was thinking that maybe it could be pushing out the screen

trent999

Nov 16, 2013
My Verizon LG G3 screen is now separating from the midframe on both sides in the middle of each side. It is up about a 16th of an inch, can be pushed easily back down but doesn't stay. Light leaks from the edges.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 PM ----------

I discovered I had a spare sd chip and spare sim stored under my battery. When I removed them both, reinstalled the battery and qi circle case, the light leaking was gone.

Looks like the G3 is pretty flexible and that the display is not glued down except at the corners. If you crowd it in the back, the display can bulge out the front of the frame. This doesn't mean its broken or defective, just tight.

Reactions: Tejka

oilslickjim

Oct 7, 2012
Auckland
Same thing has happened here on the left hand side only. I must admit I decided to store a spare SIM under the battery and a day or so later noticed a raised edge on the left side of the screen. I immediately realised this must be the case and removed the spare SIM but now the left side it ever so slightly raised, I notice this most when using the phone in the dark/dark areas as light bleeds out along that raised edge.

I may try get a replacement but since this is the second thing that occurred with the LG G3 for me (first was cracked camera lens) I may just come to the conclusion the LG cant cut it against my old Galaxy S3, which is still going without fault all these years. Might just be eyeing up a new S6 sometime in the future.

TTSDA

Jan 25, 2011
Just coming here to say that this is also happening to my device, only on the left side, as well.

I am trying to activate the warranty to get it fixed.

fevera1985

Mar 5, 2015
Did you guys bought your phone New from the store ? Like Verizon ?
This issues sound like the aftermarket LCD screens sold on eBay. I have bought 3 LCD screens from eBay. For the LG G2 twice and one for the G3. Once installed and a few uses on the phone, parts of the glass lifts up from the LCD and frame. That's cause they're high quality not genuine LG screens... They don't have the good loca glue on the screen.

Smbkh246

Oct 18, 2015
I am experiencing the same problem. i only bought it in June 2015 and I don't know how that happened because I haven't even dropped it once.
I am thinking to claim the warranty. Because it seems like the glue has come off of it.

Bawb3

Dec 1, 2010
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Yup. Mine is doing this too now... awesome! Left side as well. This is my 3rd G3 since July 2014 - I'm done with LG.

From what I've seen on other phones, the screen is often held on by some kind of adhesive. Considering this phone gets red hot if you do two things, like talk on the phone and try to web browse (like so hot it's hard to even hold), it probably slowly breaks down the adhesive holding the screen on.

Last edited:

trent999

Nov 16, 2013
My vs985 display lifts a bit in the middle along both sides, but only when I have a spare sim or sim adapter attached back there with the battery.

Doesn't take much.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

ivann23

Jan 26, 2014
Dominican Republic

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

Code7248

Apr 13, 2013
It's that Wireless Charging unit in the cover that brings the display up. Notice how the bleeding disappears when you take the cover off.
If you're not big on wireless charging, I suggest you perform operations on your backcover and get that bump out of there.

jncool101

Mar 6, 2016
My LG G3 seemed to be having the same problem as well. It has beeen lifting slightly on both of the long sides and if it is on i can look at the side of the phone and see light escaping from the display. I orginally thought the my screen was somehow bent, but out of curiousity i inspected the back on the phone. In that i found that somehow my battery seems to be pushing my display out of the midframe... When i take the battery out the screen returns to the midframe on its own. When i try to put the battery back in it pokes out slighlty then when i put it in completely the display pops back out slightly on both sides again. I dont know how to fix this issue but if someone could figure it out that would be appericated.

Reactions: vogiasf

someguyatx

Feb 7, 2012
Louisville
My LG G3 seemed to be having the same problem as well. It has beeen lifting slightly on both of the long sides and if it is on i can look at the side of the phone and see light escaping from the display. I orginally thought the my screen was somehow bent, but out of curiousity i inspected the back on the phone. In that i found that somehow my battery seems to be pushing my display out of the midframe... When i take the battery out the screen returns to the midframe on its own. When i try to put the battery back in it pokes out slighlty then when i put it in completely the display pops back out slightly on both sides again. I dont know how to fix this issue but if someone could figure it out that would be appericated.
Have you tried a new battery? Is your battery swollen? Sometimes they get bloated when they go bad.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Have you tried a new battery? Is your battery swollen? Sometimes they get bloated when they go bad.
    My Verizon LG G3 screen is now separating from the midframe on both sides in the middle of each side. It is up about a 16th of an inch, can be pushed easily back down but doesn't stay. Light leaks from the edges.

---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 PM ----------

I discovered I had a spare sd chip and spare sim stored under my battery. When I removed them both, reinstalled the battery and qi circle case, the light leaking was gone.

Looks like the G3 is pretty flexible and that the display is not glued down except at the corners. If you crowd it in the back, the display can bulge out the front of the frame. This doesn't mean its broken or defective, just tight.

My vs985 display lifts a bit in the middle along both sides, but only when I have a spare sim or sim adapter attached back there with the battery.

Doesn't take much.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    i have this problem too in my phone screen...
    Same. Light leaks out the Sides

Sent from my LG-VS985 using Tapatalk