Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,290 Members 46,326 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Seeder] Stutter/Lag Fix?

Tip us?

nystatus23
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Yes their is a very much of improvement of speed/no lag after installing, #mysimplepleasure

Sent from my VS985 4G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

imucarmen
Old
Thanks Meter 87
Red face Hooray for seeder!

People always try to debunk the fact that seeder works but the reviews in the google play store and my eyes have always told me otherwise. When a phone is very clearly lagging and then you install seeder and notice the change right after I don't think we need any experts to tell us our own eyes and mind are deceiving us. Experts have made a living off being wrong about things.

Wot-75
Old
Thanks Meter 14
What Seeder settings is everyone running?

truent
Old
(Last edited by truent; 25th July 2014 at 03:50 AM.)
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wot-75 View Post
What Seeder settings is everyone running?
Aggressive, everything on. I don't think it does much to be honest.. but until they fix the launcher.. I wouldn't mind throwing whatever I can at it. For me, everything's good..but there's a definite loading lag when in the app drawer (the first time in it) or tapatalk (sometimes).. but the launcher home pages I'm all good..

jackdubl
Old
Thanks Meter 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJUnion View Post
I have read that, however despite that information I do perceive a difference and no its not a placebo. I understand that the professionals cannot substantiate a change. All that I can suggest is that anyone that has a complaint regarding the G3 and laggy behavior...give this a shot. If it doesn't work, chuck it....if it does great!

Understanding why is works? Hmm yeah Id love to know.
I've tried it on two phones and... I could find no difference that it made.

johnciaccio
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Disabling the Amazon apps fixed my lag issues.

Btw. Verizon puts that crap on their phones not LG so you can thank Verizon for the lag.

I have noticed while entering text in the text box in these forums that it does not update the typing.until I click back on the text box. Anyone else get that? Chrome BTW..

bobbarker2
Old
Thanks Meter 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJUnion View Post
Ok. Does that mean your not gonna try it?
I've tried entropy generators in the past before I knew more about the subject and never saw a difference. This is programming, not magic. We know what Seeder does and we know how android works

Quote:
The only users of /dev/random are libcrypto (used for cryptographic operations like SSL connections, ssh key generation, and so on), wpa_supplicant/hostapd (to generate WEP/WPA keys while in AP mode), and the libraries that generate random partition IDs when you do an ext2/3/4 format. None of those 3 users are in the path of app execution, so feeding random from urandom does nothing except make random… well… less random
Quote:
I tried the symlink method and could not detect any appreciable change in load averages under otherwise similar usage scenarios. I cannot find evidence of access to the /dev/random file. I cannot find similar wait paths in the kernel code that accesses the entropy pool that is shared by /dev/(random/random). That leaves other kernel locking or blocking mechanisms (spinlocks?) if there really is a responsiveness boost. I haven't seen conclusive evidence either way, I am just trying to understand what would possibly influence responsiveness should this hack prove founded in data.

Quote:
I'm sorry why no one is mentioning this, but the 'fix' involves running a daemon that writes to /dev/random every second. This daemon should affect the CPU freq governor and make the CPU run at higher clocks than a device without the daemon. This alone would account for the performance increase users claim to be experiencing.

I've played with CPU frequency governors in the past. Perception of lag is affected greatly by this.

The claims about the depleted entropy pool leading to lower performance are not substantiated. I am thinking that there shouldn't be such a huge dependency on /dev/random in Android to cause an appreciable performance difference.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bobbarker2 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SJUnion
Old
(Last edited by SJUnion; 25th July 2014 at 05:17 PM.) Reason: Added note for understanding
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbarker2 View Post
I've tried entropy generators in the past before I knew more about the subject and never saw a difference. This is programming, not magic. We know what Seeder does and we know how android works
No problem Bob, and I understand where your coming from. Thanks for inserting logical analysis into this discussion, and for sharing what is known and understood about this apk.

Does that mean I will stop using it? No, because it works for me. Do I encourage others to try it? Yes, for the same reason. Do I accept that there are many that wouldn't even glance at this because its not supposed to work?...Yes. No big, I'm not the developer.

Afterthoughts..

From what I can glean I think this is what we may be seeing here - "I've played with CPU frequency governors in the past. Perception of lag is affected greatly by this."

Can we do this currently? I mean change CPU frequencies without an unlocked boot-loader and a custom ROM?

johnciaccio
Old
Thanks Meter 17
I just wonder how all this is affecting your battery life. Has anyone done any research into how these effect wake time and battery performance? Seems to be the idea is if you keep the cpu a bit active you get better performance? It seems to me that if that is the case then a less aggressive cpu governor would have the same or better effect on reducing lag. At least that is was I perceive after reading about entropy regarding cpu and different platforms. Linux and windows generate random numbers differently.

tech_head
Old
Thanks Meter 293
Turn on developer options.
Look in the options settings.
Set all animation values to .5x