Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,814,166 Members 45,541 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Stock Camera Filename Format

Tip us?

s.whiplash
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default [Q] Stock Camera Filename Format

Is there a way to change the filename format of the pictures that the stock camera saves?

It uses a filename of MMDDYYxxx (MONTH DAY YEAR then 4 digit number)

I would prefer to have it be YYYMMDDxxx (YEAR MONTH DAY then any identifier). Preferable with the year being a 4 digit number.

LaTropa64
Old
(Last edited by LaTropa64; 12th September 2014 at 07:41 AM.) Reason: droid1 was good
Thanks Meter 10
I'm also interested in this. I hate the way it names pictures. It makes things difficult when you sort by filename in a directory listing.

I've changed the date format under Settings > Date & time > Select date format > to MMMM/DD/YY but it has zero effect on the way the camera names files.

So frustrating. Samsungs camera does filenames about perfectly. example: 20140827_135746

They even add down to the second on the name. LG just adds a letter if it's a picture taken within the same minute.

edit: Dang. Even looking clear back to my original Droid1 they had this correct. Filenames were "2010-01-29 21.26.14.jpg". How could LG mess this up so bad?

JMooney5115
Old
Thanks Meter 13
I just ditched the stock camera for Google Camera. The weird date format and always asking if I want to delete the photo after swiping got on my nerves. I still have the LG camera opening by holding volume down when screen is locked though.

Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.GoogleCamera

LaTropa64
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMooney5115 View Post
I just ditched the stock camera for Google Camera. The weird date format and always asking if I want to delete the photo after swiping got on my nerves. I still have the LG camera opening by holding volume down when screen is locked though.

Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.GoogleCamera
Does the google camera make use of the Laser Focus and OIS?

JMooney5115
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTropa64 View Post
Does the google camera make use of the Laser Focus and OIS?
I'm not sure about the laser focus. The OIS is built into the lense and is still functional as it is built into the lens, and by the looks of me recording it works.

However, I haven't played with it enough to tell a difference in quality of picture taking

LaTropa64
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMooney5115 View Post
I'm not sure about the laser focus. The OIS is built into the lense and is still functional as it is built into the lens, and by the looks of me recording it works.

However, I haven't played with it enough to tell a difference in quality of picture taking
Meh. I think, if I keep the phone, I'll look for a script that converts the filenames into a more normal format before I save them to my desktop or switch phones. Not much I can do about Google+ but I hope it's smart enough not to duplicate.

trent999
Old
Thanks Meter 78
I am pretty sure it is not.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

LaTropa64
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Just an FYI: I went into Settings > Date & Time > Select date format > and choose YYYY/MM/DD and it had no effect on the stock cameras file naming scheme.

I would love to use a 3rd party camera but I doubt it would make use of the LG's laser focus.