Post Reply

[Q] Stock Camera Filename Format

OP s.whiplash

25th August 2014, 04:51 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
34 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2007
Is there a way to change the filename format of the pictures that the stock camera saves?

It uses a filename of MMDDYYxxx (MONTH DAY YEAR then 4 digit number)

I would prefer to have it be YYYMMDDxxx (YEAR MONTH DAY then any identifier). Preferable with the year being a 4 digit number.
12th September 2014, 07:07 AM   |  #2  
LaTropa64's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 16
 
146 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2010
More
Question
I'm also interested in this. I hate the way it names pictures. It makes things difficult when you sort by filename in a directory listing.

I've changed the date format under Settings > Date & time > Select date format > to MMMM/DD/YY but it has zero effect on the way the camera names files.

So frustrating. Samsungs camera does filenames about perfectly. example: 20140827_135746

They even add down to the second on the name. LG just adds a letter if it's a picture taken within the same minute.

edit: Dang. Even looking clear back to my original Droid1 they had this correct. Filenames were "2010-01-29 21.26.14.jpg". How could LG mess this up so bad?
Last edited by LaTropa64; 12th September 2014 at 07:41 AM. Reason: droid1 was good
15th September 2014, 05:04 PM   |  #3  
Senior Member
Flag Birmingham
Thanks Meter: 14
 
108 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
More
I just ditched the stock camera for Google Camera. The weird date format and always asking if I want to delete the photo after swiping got on my nerves. I still have the LG camera opening by holding volume down when screen is locked though.

Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.GoogleCamera
16th September 2014, 03:51 AM   |  #4  
LaTropa64's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 16
 
146 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMooney5115

I just ditched the stock camera for Google Camera. The weird date format and always asking if I want to delete the photo after swiping got on my nerves. I still have the LG camera opening by holding volume down when screen is locked though.

Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.GoogleCamera

Does the google camera make use of the Laser Focus and OIS?
16th September 2014, 11:47 AM   |  #5  
Senior Member
Flag Birmingham
Thanks Meter: 14
 
108 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTropa64

Does the google camera make use of the Laser Focus and OIS?

I'm not sure about the laser focus. The OIS is built into the lense and is still functional as it is built into the lens, and by the looks of me recording it works.

However, I haven't played with it enough to tell a difference in quality of picture taking
16th September 2014, 04:21 PM   |  #6  
LaTropa64's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 16
 
146 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMooney5115

I'm not sure about the laser focus. The OIS is built into the lense and is still functional as it is built into the lens, and by the looks of me recording it works.

However, I haven't played with it enough to tell a difference in quality of picture taking

Meh. I think, if I keep the phone, I'll look for a script that converts the filenames into a more normal format before I save them to my desktop or switch phones. Not much I can do about Google+ but I hope it's smart enough not to duplicate.
16th September 2014, 05:35 PM   |  #7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 81
 
428 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
I am pretty sure it is not.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
22nd September 2014, 08:16 AM   |  #8  
LaTropa64's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 16
 
146 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2010
More
Just an FYI: I went into Settings > Date & Time > Select date format > and choose YYYY/MM/DD and it had no effect on the stock cameras file naming scheme.

I would love to use a 3rd party camera but I doubt it would make use of the LG's laser focus.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Verizon G3 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank