OnePlus Indian Ban Lifted, Android One Expanding – XDA TV

Android 5.0.1 Lollipop is available for the Nvidia SHIELD Tablet! That and … more

Nvidia and Robotics w/ Barrett Williams – XDA:DevCon 2014

Robotics continues to dominate our videos from this years XDA:DevCon 2014 in … more

Speed Up Deodexing with JoelDroid Batch Deodexer

Android 5.0 Lollipop brings many under-the-hood changes like changing the default compiler … more

Top 5 Apps for 2014 + Top Xposed Mod of 2014 – XDA TV

Its that time of year where you look back and remember the things that happened … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] WiFi and 4G both on simultaneously?

OP phyziks13

18th July 2014, 03:47 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
I don't know if anyone here has experienced this, but when I turn the WiFi on for my G3, the 4G icon does not disappear, as it did on my Galaxy S3. I have spoken to a friend who also received his G3 yesterday and is having the same issue. Since the 4G icon turns grey when mobile data is disabled (yet it remains white when enabled and WiFi is on), I'm wondering if the phone is using both WiFi and 4G network to transfer data; the battery seems to drain noticeably faster when both are enabled.

If anyone can shed some light on to this issue, it'd be greatly appreciated.
18th July 2014, 04:07 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 15

260 posts
Pretty sure 4G is always on regardless of what your s3 showed, otherwise it couldn't send and receive phone calls/text.

Sent from my VS985 4G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
18th July 2014, 04:15 PM   |  #3  
Flag Chicagoland Burbs
Thanks Meter: 118

413 posts
More
Because they're "independent" of one another, icons for both will appear, instead of the wifi icon "replacing" the 4G/3G icon. I was used to the same behavior, also coming from the Galaxy S3. On one hand, it's more specific but on the other hand, wastes more space.
18th July 2014, 04:59 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 3

114 posts
I have an S3 too and it doesn't show the 4g logo when I'm on wifi either. However, my wife just got an s4 and it will show both icons when she is on wifi. It just must be what verizon switched to now. It's annoying because it takes up more notification screen area.
18th July 2014, 05:13 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Ahh, understood. Thanks for clearing it up, guys.
19th July 2014, 02:11 AM   |  #6  
Flag Central Minnesota
Thanks Meter: 49

246 posts
More
I'm pretty sure the S4 had a caller id app that made the 4G icon stay on. If I remember correctly it was kind of tricky to uninstall but once that was done the 4G icon would turn off during wifi. It could be the same case for the G3.
19th July 2014, 02:21 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 453

2,430 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy028

I'm pretty sure the S4 had a caller id app that made the 4G icon stay on. If I remember correctly it was kind of tricky to uninstall but once that was done the 4G icon would turn off during wifi. It could be the same case for the G3.

i remember thatas well

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread