Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,846 Members 37,179 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[RECOVERY] How to install CWM-based Chinese Recovery on VZW G3

Tip us?

Matt4542
Old
(Last edited by Matt4542; 24th July 2014 at 04:21 AM.)
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 61

DONATE TO ME
Default [RECOVERY] How to install CWM-based Chinese Recovery on VZW G3

First, I did not create this method, nor did I discover that it worked on Verizon. The recovery and application come from a Chinese website and I can not guarantee that you will have successful results.

1. Acquire root via ioroot
2. Download and install the attached APK
3. Select "Install Recovery"
4. Select "Reboot Recovery"
5. ????
6. Profit.

Your phone will appear to be booting normally, but it should boot into recovery fine.

I can not guarantee the contents of the attached APK to not be of malicious intent, as I am not the creator. From my experience and others it has provided a legitimately recovery. I am not liable, you are.

Update:

You are not able to write to system. This means no flashing of ROMs, restoring of system nandroids, etc. Be careful!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140723_223737.jpg
Views:	834
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	2867696   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140723_223903.jpg
Views:	805
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	2867697   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140723_223929.jpg
Views:	856
Size:	441.2 KB
ID:	2867698   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140723_223936.jpg
Views:	856
Size:	511.2 KB
ID:	2867699   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140723_223952.jpg
Views:	835
Size:	513.1 KB
ID:	2867702  

Attached Files
File Type: apk RecoveryInstaller-v1.0_AnZhi.apk - [Click for QR Code] (4.22 MB, 72 views)
Current: LG G3

Former: Motorola DROID, HTC DROID Eris, Motorola DROID2, Motorola DROID X, HTC Droid Incredible, Motorola DROID Bionic, Samsung Galaxy S4
The Following User Says Thank You to Matt4542 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Jiggity Janx
Old
Thanks Meter 332
What makes your thread of some generic 'supposed' working recovery different from the thread you obviously stole this from in the same forum where at least one knowledgeable person said people should be cautious until we find out more information?!?
2 Verizon G3 io-rooted stock 2 Verizon One MAX rumrunner.us s-off Note 8.0 & 3 2 OG Nexus 7 w/ CM11

nystatus23
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Dam I'm tempted to do it but dont want to **** up my phone

Sent from my VS985 4G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

oneandroidnut
Old
Thanks Meter 368
works fine for me
Currents:
LG G3
Awaiting Note 4
Sold:
Note 3 DE, OnePlus One 64 GB, HTC One M8, HTC One Max, HTC One, Nexus 7 Flo 32 GB, Google Chromecast, Galaxy S4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Tab 7.0, HTC DNA, HTC Rezound, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Incredible, Xoom 32 GB, Droid Bionic, Droid 2 Global, Droid X2, Droid X

Mistertac
Old
Thanks Meter 1,593

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneandroidnut View Post
works fine for me
I don't recall if you were the one who said they flashed Sphix ROM?!

Others have said that they cannot restore their backup either.

Like someone else mentioned it seems at this point that this is a glorified zip flasher.

Which hey is still cool. I've been waiting for 2 LG devs to update me on how they're battle with getting TWRP going for our phone is going.

- Sent From My G3

oneandroidnut
Old
Thanks Meter 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertac View Post

Like someone else mentioned it seems at this point that this is a glorified zip flasher.

Which hey is still cool. I've been waiting for 2 LG devs to update me on how they're battle with getting TWRP going for our phone is going.

- Sent From My G3
wasnt me!
Currents:
LG G3
Awaiting Note 4
Sold:
Note 3 DE, OnePlus One 64 GB, HTC One M8, HTC One Max, HTC One, Nexus 7 Flo 32 GB, Google Chromecast, Galaxy S4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Tab 7.0, HTC DNA, HTC Rezound, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Incredible, Xoom 32 GB, Droid Bionic, Droid 2 Global, Droid X2, Droid X

THEbigSWEEN
Old
Thanks Meter 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertac View Post

- Sent From My G3
That sucks if people can't restore their backup. That was the main reason I was so tempted to try this, so if I got into trouble I could restore. Especially since I already had to flash the .TOT once after editing build.prop and getting vicious system.ui closes making the phone unusable...

Got my fingers crossed that we could get TWRP! I like that way better than CWM anyways!

ins5736
Old
Thanks Meter 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEbigSWEEN View Post
That sucks if people can't restore their backup. That was the main reason I was so tempted to try this, so if I got into trouble I could restore. Especially since I already had to flash the .TOT once after editing build.prop and getting vicious system.ui closes making the phone unusable...

Got my fingers crossed that we could get TWRP! I like that way better than CWM anyways!
+1 Love me some TWRP!

LG G3 flies faster than a G6
OG RAZR XT912 got 4.4 before S4
My RAZR got 4.4.3 before the S5!

joqsan
Old
Thanks Meter 87
Quote:

Haha dude I did the same thing with the build prop changes. Messed my phone the F UP!!!!! Had to get a replacement from Verizon
Quote:

tech_head
Old
Thanks Meter 293
I wouldn't touch this with a hundred foot pole.
When I had my GS4, there was a root method that installed a Chinese Su apk....
It did strange things.

Unless it comes from one of the trusted developers here, no dice.
I'll trust a developer here, even if the source isn't released. I understand that by releasing the source it allows them (LG, Verizon, whoever) to patch he hole.

But the developer must be trusted.
I'm not trusting my phone to some anonymous Chinese guy, etc.. YMMV

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tech_head For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]